Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 12:04 PM

12 posts, read 11,263 times

Advertisements

I am sure this has been asked but here it goes. I have searched threads and most information is outdated. I am a Military Veteran looking to make the move with my family of 5 to somewhere in Idaho (Possibly). We have lived in NORTHERN (Country) California since kids were young(Mostly). We are 2 hours from nearest big city (Sacramento) so we are slow pace of life people. I am looking for employment in a sector where i can continue my work with Veterans but may also use my skills in security or LE if needed. The wife would love to work in Boise (Disney store) but would do great in a school setting as well. We want an area that is approx 2 hour from shopping (Costco, Walmart etc) but SMALL town living. I dont mind driving 30-45 mins to work to allow my kids to grow up in a smaller area. I would love to have an area to have animals (Horses, chickens etc). We love to fish and be outdoors. I heard the hunting in Idaho is fantastic. I would dream to have an area close to take the kids shooting and riding quads. Please dont hassle me about being from CA because I dont live the life of the Hollywood person, I am all about jeans, cowboy boots and trampling through the mud. Thank you all very much. We are also looking at Arizona and was lookng at Utah but the whole LDS thing scared me. We love our guns, freedom and enjoy people for who they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 12:39 PM

742 posts, read 1,129,072 times
It's going to be tough to find the small towns you crave with the job opportunities you need.

I would maybe start in Twin Falls and work my way around the mid sized towns (under 50,000) and see what you can find for jobs. Alternately, you can look around some the larger cities for jobs, and if you find what you need, see how long you're willing to commute and then look at the small towns around there.

Be aware that it gets cold and icy here in the winter, so if you have a 30-45 minute commute on highways or freeways (traffic notwithstanding), it could very well double in the winter.

Be aware that small town country dream that so many who come to this forum long for is almost always just that... a dream. For very good reasons. You can make it happen if you have the money, resources, or willingness to not have any money and live on scraps.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:40 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet.with.kids View Post
We are also looking at Arizona and was lookng at Utah but the whole LDS thing scared me. We love our guns, freedom and enjoy people for who they are.
Except if they're LDS?

Old 01-19-2016, 01:38 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Except if they're LDS?
Well Katz, the bias continues. You and I know SL County isn't even 50% LDS, but the myths continue. At > 3 million people in UT, and all the tech companies, UT County is probably less LDS than it was. After all, this poster is in N. CA where a fair amount of high profile LDS live. Steve Young, for starters.

I appreciate the service of the OP. Like anyone else, he should have the opportunity to dream of finding his ideal. It may be in Idaho or elsewhere. AZ also has LDS in certain areas.

To the OP, my experience has been people who have many restrictions do struggle finding everything they hope to find in a new location. There is a huge weather difference between ID and most areas of AZ except for Flagstaff. You may want to consider the temps first when considering where you might locate.

Idaho was partially settled by the fur traders and LDS. In ID, many businesses are owned by LDS businesses out-of-state or in Idaho. My guess between your military service and any travel, you've had more LDS business in your life than you know. Two airlines, one major hotel chain with hotels throughout Idaho and most every other state, as well as internationally and every Styrofoam container you get from a restaurant were founded because of LDS businessmen. This is nothing personal against you, I hope all others sharing your same dream will read this too. Learn facts about the LDS before posting in a western state forum where a higher concentration of LDS live and work.

I am still waiting for even one person to write the same about Lutherans, Methodists, Catholics, Jewish or Muslim and other religions and Atheist residents of ID. Maybe this link will help you understand we are a tolerant state, at least those who have lived here ten years or more.

Interfaith rally focuses on understanding and respect | News - Home

Good luck finding your special new location to call home

MSR

Old 01-19-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Except if they're LDS?

No Katz I dont care what you are or are not. I just want the same respect. I will welcome anyone into my home but from what I hear the communities there are not that same way and will discriminate on us for not being LDS. Thank you for allowing me to clear that up for YOU.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:54 PM

And like i posted, this is what i have read from these forums. I am asking for opinions as has been stated. I dont state I KNOW i am stating I HEARD. I am quite sure there are many things great about the LDS community and I would welcome that in my life. My concern is that I do not want my children to be isolated because their beliefs are different than those around them. Tolerance for difference is what Im asking about. If you came to N. Ca and went to my community unfortunately as someone different people would stare and that is not right to me. I may have a dream of what we want but I have served my Country and now I have the RIGHT to chase a dream. Suck it up or dont comment.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
No Katz I dont care what you are or are not. I just want the same respect.
And you are already convinced that you wouldn't find it in Utah. That's unfortunate. I'd suggest that you consider northern Idaho, as southern Idaho has a fairly decent sized number of Mormons, too.

You see, when you start a thread and say that you don't want to live where people of a certain religion live, it comes across as hurtful to people of that religion. Maybe that's something you didn't bother to consider when posting what you did.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I may have a dream of what we want but I have served my Country and now I have the RIGHT to chase a dream.
And nobody has tried to deny you of that. Furthermore, I sincerely appreciate your service to our country.

Quote:
Suck it up or dont comment.
Whoa!

Note to the people of Idaho: He's all yours!

Old 01-19-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
And like i posted, this is what i have read from these forums. I am asking for opinions as has been stated. I dont state I KNOW i am stating I HEARD. I am quite sure there are many things great about the LDS community and I would welcome that in my life. My concern is that I do not want my children to be isolated because their beliefs are different than those around them. Tolerance for difference is what Im asking about. If you came to N. Ca and went to my community unfortunately as someone different people would stare and that is not right to me. I may have a dream of what we want but I have served my Country and now I have the RIGHT to chase a dream. Suck it up or dont comment.
I thanked you for your service. I wrote you had the right to pursue your own dream. Your last comment, as someone looking to move to a different location, won't go over well in many forums.

Your concern about your children is a concern those mostly in small communities face. When some counties only have 3,000 - 5,000 residents, there is a higher probability any new child will struggle fitting in. To most in small counties, it isn't always about religion. It may be there are is a dwindling amount of jobs. Small counties have little to do. I think your concern for your children is valid, no matter where you relocate. But a larger population helps ensure there are more than 15 other kids in the class.

MSR

Old 01-19-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
And you are already convinced that you wouldn't find it in Utah. That's unfortunate. I'd suggest that you consider northern Idaho, as southern Idaho has a fairly decent sized number of Mormons, too.

You see, when you start a thread and say that you don't want to live where people of a certain religion live, it comes across as hurtful to people of that religion. Maybe that's something you didn't bother to consider when posting what you did.
Katz,

It was Syringaloid who opened my eyes to something interesting. NID likes to say there are few LDS in the region. However, Coeur d'Alene is 30 minutes from Spokane. And Spokane has an LDS temple, so there is sufficient LDS population in the region to justify a temple. Interesting way to re-examine the demographics.

Hey, there are Amish in Idaho now too. One does need to research more before stating who or what is objectionable to that poster. I like what that poster from the Netherlands wrote. He'd clearly read the posts. I've got to learn what tech company is moving from the Netherlands to the Wasatch Front

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho