Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 09:24 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,654 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if any Michiganders (or folks from the midwest) have moved to Idaho on this forum. Anyone from the Detroit metro area move to the Boise area? What do you like or not like about it? Care to share your views? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 10:44 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
I think we have one regular member here who's from Michigan. i don't know if he was from Detroit.
Be patient and he may reply. He tends to come and go quite a bit, so it may take some time.

Can't help you myself- I flew over part of Michigan once, and that's the closest I ever got to the state.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:14 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
I grew up in Detroit; Cooley High, but that was back in the 60s. After serving in the military came back and went to college, then left. I actually came back to MI in 2005, but only lasted three years before retiring to Southern UT. In 2014, I moved to Chubbuck, just north of Pocatello.

I cannot speak for the Boise area, but overall there is NO comparison between the two locations.

I prefer ID over MI in all categories, except one. Never thought I would say it, but MI drivers are better than ID drivers.

Weather is about the same, at least this year it was in this area, and I believe Boise may have less snowfall then we do over on the Eastern side of the state.

Been quite a few years since I lived and paid taxes in MI, but I believe ID actually has a higher income tax rate, however, property taxes (at least in this area of ID) are extremely low compared to where I moved from (Rochester Hills). Being retired, my income taxes are not bad even thought I still make quite a bit in retirement income.

Would need to know more info on family, if any kids, what you like to do, do you have a job, etc. Then I can help out where I can as far as MI vs. ID. However, the lifestyle is a big factor in whether a person's opinion of both states. And those who are familiar with Boise can also speak up with more answers pertaining to the Boise area.

For example, I love camping in high mountain or desolate areas and that is very easy to do from ID. ID is definitely one of those "outdoor states." Meaning that there is so much to do and see, not only in ID, but also the surrounding states that it is hard to figure out where to go next.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:18 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,654 times
Thanks for the information. We have no children. There is a potential job opportunity in high tech in the Boise area. I do like the outdoors and we'd like a home and land.
I am originally from the northeast and currently live in the SF Bay Area, which I don't like one bit. I've been here less than a year and am looking to move away before the next winter. As far as politics, I am an Independent and lean slightly right (moderate Republican?) I am OK with living in either a liberal or conservative area.
Thank you for your perspective and the valuable information.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:23 AM

446 posts, read 709,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
Thanks for the information. We have no children. There is a potential job opportunity in high tech in the Boise area. I do like the outdoors and we'd like a home and land.
I am originally from the northeast and currently live in the SF Bay Area, which I don't like one bit. I've been here less than a year and am looking to move away before the next winter. As far as politics, I am an Independent and lean slightly right (moderate Republican?) I am OK with living in either a liberal or conservative area.
Thank you for your perspective and the valuable information.
If you have an opportunity to get a job in the Boise area.... take it. Boise is awesome.

PS: I was born in Detroit but haven't been in Michigan since I was a child. Idaho reminds me of the midwest when I was growing up.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:27 PM

209 posts, read 316,610 times
Our previous tenants in Boise were from the greater Detroit area. They loved it. They liked the milder than Michigan winters. They still live in Boise after buying their own home there. The husband works in high tech and is paid significantly higher than Boise average.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:40 PM

16 posts, read 27,631 times
I grew up in Michigan, spent 20 years in CA, and just recently moved to NID. I love ID so far. Really reminds me of my childhood without the freezing winters of MI. The people are about the same, love the outdoors and getting out in it but okay to stay home and read a book too. People are friendly but leave you alone if that makes sense. My sister-in-law lives in Boise and we have been there a few times. The city itself is a little like Lansing but you aren't far away from rolling hills and lots of beautiful scenery.
I think you will enjoy it if you are comparing it to MI, but IMHO anything is better than CA :-)

Old 02-16-2016, 02:22 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
If it were me, I would take the job and move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho