Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 10:35 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times

Advertisements

Really, I think it's all a calculated risk that only you can decide. In your case Misty, in your old place, your dogs were pretty safe because you didn't haul them around out of their territory much.

But it appears to me that when people move around, so do their dogs. Travelling outside any region a vet thinks is safe is a probable risk, and there's always the risk of someone else's infected dog coming here to live or just stay long enough to pass the infection on before it goes back home with its owners.

In the case of my dead dog, for sure she was infected during her dog jail sentence. Our pound is in a pretty good mosquito breeding spot, and that year was buggy, more than usual. Our Animal Control really controls, too, so strays don't ever stay out on the streets here for very long, and the pound does not innoculate.

But, like f5, if I ever take a buddy up on his standing offer to go to Orcas Island and hang out, my dog will get medicated for heartworm and the others, whether or not. Same goes if I take a cruise to Portland to visit my sons there.

He was free, but he's worth whatever it costs to keep him safe and healthy to me, and he is a most excellent co-pilot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 02:05 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times
Wonder why Wyoming is such a hotspot for heartworm?

Our vet told us, in the days of our wonderful First Dog (that's her C-D alias when I talk about her in the dog forum! Yes, my dogs have aliases, too!) that even if heartworm was hardly present in SoCal she would still recommend it. Since then we've given our dogs Heartguard. And with our annual trek from southern to northern border I think it would be irresponsible if we didn't. So I'd agree with Mike, that if there's any travel involved, better be safe than sorry.

Mike, so sorry about your dog getting infected in dog jail. How heartbreaking. First Dog got infected with Parvo--at the vet's office, the day she got her first Parvo shot...(probably not from the shot, but from some other dog with Parvo). But she survived!

Old 04-13-2016, 08:44 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Really, I think it's all a calculated risk that only you can decide. In your case Misty, in your old place, your dogs were pretty safe because you didn't haul them around out of their territory much.

But it appears to me that when people move around, so do their dogs. Travelling outside any region a vet thinks is safe is a probable risk, and there's always the risk of someone else's infected dog coming here to live or just stay long enough to pass the infection on before it goes back home with its owners.

In the case of my dead dog, for sure she was infected during her dog jail sentence. Our pound is in a pretty good mosquito breeding spot, and that year was buggy, more than usual. Our Animal Control really controls, too, so strays don't ever stay out on the streets here for very long, and the pound does not innoculate.

But, like f5, if I ever take a buddy up on his standing offer to go to Orcas Island and hang out, my dog will get medicated for heartworm and the others, whether or not. Same goes if I take a cruise to Portland to visit my sons there.

He was free, but he's worth whatever it costs to keep him safe and healthy to me, and he is a most excellent co-pilot.
Interestingly, the two vets in Anacortes (the gateway to the San Juans) don't recommend heartworm prevention either. And they were very careful and thorough vets. We had my beloved BC operated on to remove a cyst and he was very knowledgeable and careful about BCs and their potential issues with anesthesia, dewormers, etc.

We will definitely be putting him on it before we leave for our road trip back east late this summer.

Last edited by mistyriver; 04-13-2016 at 09:01 AM..

Old 04-13-2016, 09:20 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times
I'm not a vet, but have spent more than half of my life in the animal industry in one facet or another. Having said that, rather than suggesting aye or nay, I'm simply going to post a few links, read as you wish.

Heartworm | Sunnyside Vet Clinic Idaho Falls clinic

http://www.capcvet.org/images/upload..._Map_Image.jpg There is a difference within our state

https://snakerivervet.wordpress.com/...tworm-disease/ Boise area 2014

Map of ticks and diseases ? dogs and ticks Interactive map, give or take, depends on reported incidences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: