Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 05:51 AM

11 posts, read 23,198 times

Advertisements

Heading out west in September, want to check out some areas of N. Idaho I may be interested in moving to: Bonner's Ferry, Sandpoint, CDA. My question is, from everything I've read, the majority of the panhandle is conservative/libertarian; is one of the aforementioned areas more than the others? I wasn't sure with all of the California transplants if CDA is still right leaning or if that has changed. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 02:15 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
Was going to pass on this one, but I'll give my general assessment.

As with a lot of areas around the country, it generally holds that the more urbanized an area, the more left leaning it is. The further away from any city, the more right leaning the area will be. The farther you get away from a city/town, the more pure, deep red it will be. The closer to a town/city of a size greater than about 50k or 100k, the more blue it will be. Again, this is a general national pattern. There are definitely exceptions.

It also generally holds that college/university towns usually have a left lean. Nothing wrong with that. It's just the way it usually is, (a notable exception would include a place like Rexburg).

But . . . NID as a whole is more red than most places and even in the larger towns, it will tend more purple than outright blue. And as you know, the whole area is more libertarian than anything else. That trumps any political affiliation one holds.

The CA expats have certainly changed the area, but in ways other than having political ramifications. The issues tend to be more of the growing pains associated with population increase than anything else.

- - -

disclaimer: No, I am not an expert on this topic, and I will be a CA expat when I retire within the year and move to NID. However, my ancestors of three generations hail from Idaho and political persuasions more often than not are handed down from generation to generation. I've spent enough time in NID the past five years that I feel I have a sense of the pulse of the area. Personally, I'm pretty fed up with politics and don't want any part of it anymore. Just leave me alone, mow your grass, and put your junkers in the back yard and I'll be happy and content.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:15 PM

212 posts, read 308,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Personally, I'm pretty fed up with politics and don't want any part of it anymore.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:13 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,544,468 times
Most of the liberals in North Idaho live in Coeur d'Alene south of I-90 and east of US-95. This is "old Coeur d'Alene" around North Idaho College and Sherman Ave. It's where most of the regions hippies and artsy types live and where most people who are inclined to vote Democratic live. This is also where most of the regions charity organizations are located (coincidence?). Because of this, the Coeur d'Alene city council leans moderate-to-left on most issues. For awhile Idaho Legislative District 4 (inner Coeur d'Alene) was sending Democrats to Boise.

North of I-90 and west of US-95, the area gets really conservative real quick. And not just "conservative", but obnoxiously conservative.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:47 AM

First and foremost, banjomike, I apologize, I did not intend to come off as impatient. When I first checked, on my computer, it showed my original post multiple times over so that's why I put the '?.'

Tim/Volosong: Good point Tim, background would help. Right now I am in Pittsburgh. It is growing exponentially more and more liberal however, to Volosong's point, although my beliefs lean hard right, I am basically just completely sick of it all. Way more than being conservative, I am definitely a libertarian. My basic belief is: just leave me alone, I will help whomever I can whenever possible, I respect everyone's beliefs but most importantly, I just do not want my space, beliefs and/or rights infringed upon. Volosong, I agree 1000% with the general assessment of big vs little towns, college towns, etc. I just wasn't sure because some of the research I've done seems to kind of contradict here and there.

Kttam186290, thank you for the specifics. Although fun to visit, from the sounds of it, living on Sherman Ave might give me the shakes lol.

So it sounds initially, like a better fit for me might be moving up the panhandle a bit, maybe more Sandpoint or Bonner's Ferry?

THANK YOU AGAIN EVERYONE! Your insight is most appreciated!

Last edited by jberdik2173; 04-15-2016 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-15-2016, 07:53 AM

356 posts, read 520,423 times
Bonner County tends to run quite conservative, while Sandpoint proper is left-leaning. Boundary County, I would say, is slightly to the right of Bonner County. Boundary County has a much higher percentage of churched people, as well.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 5,628 times
hmm...this is interesting.

never knew this area was libertarian. why the heck don't y'all vote third party and continue to give e middle finger to the establishment and oligarchy? not to mention there is a quality candidate running again. gary johnson 2016

[url]https://youtu.be/STn0eDYSens[/url]

Old 04-16-2016, 08:26 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times
Here's the deal is it CDA or Sandpoint as more conservative? I know areas near Spokane are red voters & Matt Shea is a rep there -- & a damn good one at that. He's tryin to keep riff-raff outta eastern WA, as more folks need be vigilant there. I can rant on this yet won't -- as the powers that be, oops, like the gov't, aka ahem THE establishment -- tend to over-reach & thus stifle any contrary opinion.

Suffice it said that this isn't the free US but closer to the Union of Sov. Soc. Republics. You do the math or remain ignorant of the glaring obvious unfolding facts daily in our lives. Hello, is there anybody out there, tell me can you hear me, is there anyone @ home?

Um, I'm afraid not is my echo to that sentiment as it seems more like contractions in pregnant woman & closer to birth daily. So, eastern WA, east OR etc. & all great Patriot turf, we need revert to a Constitutional way of life like Founder's beliefs (not this hodge-podge malarkey of today) as more folks need be vigilant there. I can rant ad nauseam on this yet won't -- as the powers that be, oops, like the gov't aka ahem, THE wondorous so-called, self-promoting, establishment, will suppress -- as it seems a huge lost cause to educate & thus it is best to know what I know -- & go forth doing what I NEED do to prep as keep abreast of this upcoming madness propagated by a non transparent, elusive, anti-US Founders' gov't, umm need I say more?

Since when is this no longer a free country w/ any say re it, by the people, or does Exec rule conquer over 250 yrs of Contitutional Laws?? Hmm, have no idea how this digressed nor got so insane in this land but yet it seems -- it has... regardless of the rest of the "non believers of true reality on the way to come", so... I'm worried of it for sure, folks. Ok, over n out. lol

Put it this way, I grewup playin hockey & we settled it mano on mano. Um, how come today a tough guy persona is hidden neath a veil of shrouded witches outfits?

Last edited by movintime; 04-16-2016 at 08:34 PM..

Old 04-18-2016, 05:17 AM

movintime, I have to admit, the information was awesome and your delivery was exceptional. Literally, had me laughing out loud so thanks for that 1,2 punch.

Talache Tim, you make some excellent points. For the past..... 2 years or so, I have been trying to follow the local news there (mainly the online CDA press) and I have read about Rognstad....... to your point, bit ironic to try to slither your own thoughts into an already accepting crowd.

Makes me wonder, should I keep heading north then? More toward Bonner's Ferry? To LionFamily's point, seems more right....... rather accurate assessment?

Old 04-18-2016, 10:08 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberdik2173 View Post
Makes me wonder, should I keep heading north then? More toward Bonner's Ferry? To LionFamily's point, seems more right....... rather accurate assessment?
Boundary county does have less in the way of regulatory burdens vs. Bonner county, which in turn is less than Kootenai county. That said, I don't think Bonner county is overly regulated at this point, but other's perspectives may be different.

Regarding the political environment, I'm not too concerned with Bonner county's political environment becoming like Sandpoint itself, at least not for a good long while. The city itself only accounts for about 30% of the population of the county today, and I'm sure there is some diversity of political perspectives among residents of the city. So, there would need to be quite shift in the county overall for the balance to change at the county level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: