Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,939 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are considering moving to Idaho when we get done with school. But would like some more information on the state. We want to make sure that we are making the right decision and neither of us have ever been there but from all of our research Idaho seems to have everything we are looking for. How would you rate the cost of living and job growth? We currently live in Michigan where the economy is on a downslide and would like to relocate to a state that we can retire in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 12:04 AM

537 posts, read 1,322,571 times
Well for one thing where abouts in Idaho are you looking into? North and South are two different worlds.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:37 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
And I would never advocate moving to some place that you haven't at least visited for a week or more.

NID is stable economically but not a job growth area. Unemployment is very low, but there jobs to be found, especially if you're willing to commute to Spokane if you really must. Cost of living is reasonable, but not cheap. I guess it depends on what you compare it to. Next to a metro area, it's good. Compared to a small town in the middle of nowhere, it's high.

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 02-16-2008 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Corrected Typo

Old 02-16-2008, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,939 times
Quote:
And I would never advocate moving to some place that you have at least visited for a week or more.
I have never been out West at all my fiance is in love with Lake Tahoe and that is why we are considering moving to the west side of the country. Right now we are living in Michigan where the economy is getting worse and worse. By the time we move we will both have degress I am going for Social Worker and I know just about every state is in need of Social Workers. We do plan to come out to Idaho and visit with in the next year or two before we decide for certain what we are going to do. All we know is we really want to move out of Michigan and Idaho seems to have everything we are looking for according to the web sites but I want to hear from those who live there and know first hand. We are also considering Utah or Montana but can't decide how to out weigh one state over another.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:19 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastergirl501 View Post
I have never been out West at all my fiance is in love with Lake Tahoe and that is why we are considering moving to the west side of the country. Right now we are living in Michigan where the economy is getting worse and worse. By the time we move we will both have degress I am going for Social Worker and I know just about every state is in need of Social Workers. We do plan to come out to Idaho and visit with in the next year or two before we decide for certain what we are going to do. All we know is we really want to move out of Michigan and Idaho seems to have everything we are looking for according to the web sites but I want to hear from those who live there and know first hand. We are also considering Utah or Montana but can't decide how to out weigh one state over another.
To decide in choosing one state over another, draw up a list of what you're looking for outside of a thriving economy. Outdoor activities in summer and/or winter? Shopping malls your thing? Night life? Planning on children?

Old 02-16-2008, 03:54 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
Agree with Sage.

A couple of things to consider.
1) Wanting to move out of Michigan is one thing. Wanting to move to Idaho is another. Research this carefully. More information is always better.

2) Your degrees are in social work. These positions are usually found in the public sector and in nonprofits. On the public sector, usually, social work jobs are in proportion to population. These are best found in the bigger cities. Don't expect there to be many in Idaho, certainly not up North. Our government infrastructure is quite modest. On nonprofits, they are usually backed by local, state, and federal or foundation grants. Are you a grant writer with a good track record?

3) Turnover. Unlike the big states, there less likely to be turnover in public sector jobs as the private sector is still pretty thin (less so in the Boise area). Don;t expect many openings.

4) Pay. Social work positions, whether public or nonprofit, pay notoriously low. Do you still have time to complement your degrees with a business or finance degree? If so, your reach will be far greater.

Given the comments above, you really need to do a lot of preliminary research and visits. I would also suggest very strongly that you secure employment before considering a permanent move. Since you are both in school, you are likely young and without kids (on the latter, I hope so). This gives you some flexibility. I would try the following.

1. Research the hell out of Idaho online.

2. Narrow down your list to 1/2 places in North 1/2 places in South

3. Take a vacation/reconnaisance trip that includes ample time in all your candidate cities. Be sure to make it 80/20 reconnaisance! Meet up with 3-5 possible employment opportunities at each locale

4. When back home, try to secure employment before you go. If you have none, decide on which locale seems to be the most vibrant.

5. While at home SAVE money before leaving. Consider moving here when you have $18K($1500 * 12) in liquid savings. I would prefer $24K. This will cover your rent and food and utilities for a modest place and modest living wherever you go. With more money, you can enjoy yourself a little more and cover a huge chunk of gasoline purchases. You will find that being local will help with employment opportunities as you are already there.

6. Consider you will have none of the $18K-$24K left after one year. This should not be money you need for other purposes. Your financial obligations before coming here should be zero. If not, then add the amount of those obligations to the amount you need saved. Obligations would include, credit cards, car loans, mortgages, outsatanding bills, etc. You need not include student loans as they have deferment clauses. Nevertheless, make sure you ask for that deferment. Don't get in default.

7. Since you are young and flexible of schedule, you have a great oppprtunity to live the four seasons and to to catch the vibe of the places you are considering. The couples who get embittered by the NID experience, sell their homes and buy new homes while still retaining large financial commitments that their new locale cannot often support. The shortfall eats through savings very quickly and builds tension. If the right adjustments are not made, the families return home poorer and less happy. No need for this. Knowing what you are about to get into will help you avoid this scenario.

8. Consider very strongly not working in your degree fields. The vast majority of jobs bear little resemblance to what people studied in college. Excepting if you are quite rich and liquid, if you limit yourself to jobs in Social Work, you will remain poor yourself forever. You would then be helping your fellow poor become more well off than you. Once you have kids, you will know that such a plan is doomed to fail. Instead, get yourselves going financially. Head to high growth companies in jobs that are profitable and can lead to more options down the road.

9. As soon as you move, set yourself up with mail, banking accounts, utilities, furniture (modest), internet, etc. Do it immediately.

10. If you do 1-9, you should be able to enjoy your time in Idaho. Pick your spots. Know that you will be fine financially. You will feel more free than I have in probably 17 years as I have my professional and familiy responsibilities that weigh on me each and every day. Being young and responsible is something you must enjoy to the fullest. Your happiness will then transcend and employers will be that much more attracted. If you show up poor, with realistic expectations, with urgency, or under time pressure, you would be setting yourself up for failure (in Idaho or elsewhere).

Best of luck!
Sandpointian

Old 02-16-2008, 04:53 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,952 times
Agreed with everyone above. Just be sure to research specific communities rather than Idaho as a whole. The Boise Area, for instance, is going to be much more of a city experience than anywhere else in Idaho as its metro area is estimated to be well over 600,000 inhabitants (almost half of Idaho's total population). However, it still has nearly endless nearby recreational opportunities and is far from being a huge and crazy city.

Personally, I would look into the Boise Area and the Coeur d'Alene/Spokane Area. They will have the best mix of city and recreation if that is what you're looking for. Both are pretty different as far as weather and development patterns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho