Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 13,017 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to relocate, to a slightly warmer climate. Winters are just too long now here in central Vermont. I've been to Boise several times in the Winter and found that very agreeable. I'm hoping to fly out and rent a car , and just drive all over the place. Boise is too big a city for us to live, but possibly to work, and probably a landing place initially. We want a small working class town,(like here...1000 pop.) .....maybe 1000 to 5000 population would be great. Rural, not too much snow, preferably. The cost of living / wage picture is on the high side here (low wage / high cost.) First question is how Idaho might compare, in that regard....and second.....areas where we might look. I am a finish carpenter/cabinetmaker/chairmaker, high-end of 30 years, and my wife is an RN. currently in Hospice. We are in our early 50s. Any advice or info is greatly appreciated. Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2006, 02:10 AM

291 posts, read 710,523 times
North Idaho has lakes, rivers and pine forests and is much more reminiscent of New England than is southern Idaho. North Idaho's climate is more moderate than southern Idaho (slightly warmer winters, cooler summers, and isn't as dry). If this is a factor, I'd suggest flying into Spokane instead of Boise, and exploring the area, from Coeur d'Alene north through Sandpoint to Bonners Ferry, and south through Harrison and St. Maries to Moscow.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:10 AM

63 posts, read 362,665 times
North Idaho is very, very beautiful as is the rest of the state. Even in the deserts of southern Idaho you don't have to drive too far to be in magnificent mountains full of lush forests.
I would stay away from Spokane--it is a nice city, but kind of depressed and has hideous drivers and streets full of pot holes. People kind of joke that Spokane is a distant suburb of Coeur d'Alene.

THere are some small towns outside of Boise that you might be interested in looking at. The agricultural area west of the City (actually west of Meridian) has some small charming little country towns that are fast becoming bedroom communities for the fast growth of Boise. Nampa and Caldwell have some really nice areas south and north of both cities. Nampa/Caldwell kind of have a bad reputation for gangs, but both cities are starting to really "flush" the illegals and gangstas out and tons of redevelopment and investment are starting in both cities downtown areas.

The Boise area is great to live in. Since you stated that Boise is too big but want to work in Boise, then check the areas just west of the city.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:31 PM

149 posts, read 1,097,984 times
Vtguy - back in March '04, I flew from Boise to Burlington, VT. Then drove up to Montreal (for work), then drove back thru Maine, over to Bangor and finally flying home from Portland. It was one of the best trips of my life!

In any case, it depends on what you're looking for. I'll second what Rod said about Northern Idaho being more like New England than Southern Idaho. If you want to live in a town embedded in a forest (like all of New England) than stick with Northern Idaho. If you're ready for a change, like I was, then fly in to Boise. Boise is a great place to live, but the terrain will be quite different from New England. (Not worse or better, but they can't be compared.) You can't go wrong in either area of the state.

For what it's worth -- you'll have a very pleasant surprise after you get your first set of utility bills. Electric and natural gas are dirt cheap in Idaho!

Old 12-01-2006, 01:52 PM

21 posts, read 131,255 times
Default Consider Carefully!

Coming from the northeast where it is nice and green and the weather is variable, I would think long and hard if I were you about moving to the Boise area. I lived there for 30 years and loved almost everything about it, but the weather, particularly in the summer, I found unbearable. And sadly, that is the primary reason that I left the area.

Boise summers last from late May through September. During that time, you can expect no precipitation of any kind. Mid June through the last week in August or early September, the high temperatures will be consistently over 90 degrees and over 100 for a few consecutive days. Winters present there own problems, namely inversions where the cold air becomes trapped in the low-lying valleys (like Boise) where pollutants are trapped. It can be cold, grey and choked with pollutants for a week at a time. Spring and fall are lovely times of the year, but all too short - April-May for spring, October-November for fall.

If you can stand the heat and the dry conditions, then you'll probably love it!

Old 12-02-2006, 12:39 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violet57 View Post
Coming from the northeast where it is nice and green and the weather is variable, I would think long and hard if I were you about moving to the Boise area. I lived there for 30 years and loved almost everything about it, but the weather, particularly in the summer, I found unbearable. And sadly, that is the primary reason that I left the area.

Just curious about where you relocated to that suits you better?

Old 12-02-2006, 12:43 PM

14 posts, read 20,112 times
Boise is well known for the long Spring and Fall seasons. I love Spring here, it starts in March with the Forsythias blooming and lasts well into the last part of June. July - mid September can be hot but it depends on what the year is like. The summer temps in Boise are no more hotter than Salt Lake, Denver, and nothing like the Southwest. Fall is gorgeous and starts around the last half of September (the weather cools) and lasts until Thanksgiving with leaves changing slowly the whole time. Winters here are much more mild compared to other Western cities.
If you don't like the summer heat you are only a short drive from cool forests or you can go to the Boise River right in the center of the city surrounded by Urban forest.
I have friends who visit here and are always amazed at our extra long Spring and Fall seasons.
The very distinct Four Seasons in Boise are part of the reason so many people seem to enjoy living here so much.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:06 AM

21 posts, read 131,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Just curious about where you relocated to that suits you better?
I moved to the Oregon coast where the summer temperatures seldom reach above the 70s in the summer and where there is abundant rainfall. Weatherwise, I am happy, but I sure miss the Boise Valley and it will always be home!

Old 12-03-2006, 01:28 PM

14 posts, read 20,112 times
Here are a few pics of the snow on the mountains I took yesterday from a city park accross the Boise River from downtown. I love the mountains when they are covered in snow and the fact the snow is not in the valley:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/Idahomajesty/snow.jpg (broken link)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/Idahomajesty/snow3.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-10-2006, 05:45 PM

5 posts, read 13,017 times
Thank you all for the replies to my post. The photos are beautifull! Snow in the mountains...and green grass. I'm not looking for perfection....mainly, less harsh a winter. Long Spring and Fall sounds good.

Anyone care to comment on the cost of living there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho