Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 07:04 PM

18 posts, read 29,759 times

Advertisements

I'm a significant bird lover and wondering if birds are plentiful in Idaho area? About the only things I'm gonna miss about Florida are the birds and wildlife. This picture was taken outside of a Longhorns Steak house as we were pulling up. Those are Sandhill cranes-a family of three.
Attached Thumbnails
Birdies-2016-05-12-14.11.33.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 07:41 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times
Here in north Idaho it's quite common to see ospreys and bald eagles. Check out the osprey thread here on the forum for some discussion about the osprey cam at Memorial Field in Sandpoint.

I haven't learned what all the smaller birds are here yet, but based on the birds we hear singing outside our windows each morning they are plentiful.

Dave

Old 06-02-2016, 08:17 PM

349 posts, read 1,040,580 times
In NID you also will see pelicans, swans, blue heron, hawks, and an array of ducks plus other small birds.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:24 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
In addition to the above list:
The mountain bluebird lives everywhere in Idaho. (Our state bird) if you've never seen one, you will be thrilled when you do. They are a rather dull dusky blue-grey color when they're sitting on a fence post, but when they fly, their feathers' underside flashes an intense electric blue that is almost flourescent it's so bright.

All the raptors except for the arctic birds live here, as do all the western owls. We have several species of woodpeckers and blackbirds all over the state, and all the alpine forest birds. Lots of swallows and other cliff dwellers.

I don't know about the panhandle, but down here in the south, sandhill cranes have always migrated here to summer, and for a long time, the Idaho summer nesting grounds played a large part in the attempt to recover the whooping cranes, who flew in with the sandhills.
Idaho lies along the migratory path for most of the ducks and geese who populate the west, and in the spring, it's part of the migratory path for many species of wrens, larks, and other little songbirds. Some stay the summer, some move northward.

We have wild turkey here, and turkey vultures. Magpies, crows and ravens. We have both the pine grouse in the north and the sage grouse in the south. Several species of partridge and other upland game birds.

But the area not to be missed by any bird lover is the Morley Nelson Snake River Birds of Prey National Conservation Area. There are more predatory birds of all species there than in any other place in the United States.

Here's some info:
https://visitidaho.org/?s=birding

Browse this site for more specific Birds of Prey info. If you start on the home page, you will find more birding under Things To Do and Wildlife Viewing. There are real good places all over the state.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:18 AM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
We have the pleasure of seeing golden eagles soaring over our place in NID on a regular basis. Wild turkeys walk through our back yard. Hummingbirds zoom around our ears. Woodpeckers hammer away among the pine trees. Crows have conversations. And that's just on our own 5 acres.

Up in Boundary County, west of Bonner's Ferry, is Kootenai Natural Wildlife Refuge which is part of the Kootenai River wetlands. Perfect place for bird watching. Other great spots that I know of are along the Pack River Delta by Highway 200, and Clark Fork River on Johnson Creek Road on Clark Fork.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:41 AM

18 posts, read 29,759 times
Wow thanks everyone!

Old 06-03-2016, 05:46 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
One of my favorite birds in northern Idaho is the Stellar Jay. They can mimic raptors. We had one that hung around the dogs shed and stole food when he could. If we went near the shed, he'd mimic a bald eagle to try to scare us away.

I've never seen or heard of Pelicans up here...aren't they more down in southern or eastern Idaho?

Old 06-03-2016, 06:52 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
One of my favorite birds in northern Idaho is the Stellar Jay. They can mimic raptors. We had one that hung around the dogs shed and stole food when he could. If we went near the shed, he'd mimic a bald eagle to try to scare us away.

I've never seen or heard of Pelicans up here...aren't they more down in southern or eastern Idaho?
We have brown pelicans down here. A lot migrate back and forth between Yellowstone and to here, then down to the Great Salt Lake or Lake Utah to winter.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:03 PM

66 posts, read 80,877 times
Ahhh. Sandhills. Aka flying rib eyes. Good eats

ML
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho