Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,167 times

Advertisements

We are interested in relocating and the Kellogg area is one place we would like to find out more about. Has anyone ever lived or visited near there? Any comments are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 9,860 times
I lived in Smelterville (3-5mi away) for 12 years before moving to KS and went to the kellogg middle and highschool adn was in kellogg alot the town its self isnt to bad but i thought the schools sucked and werent fair when it came to alot of stuff especially punishment and they dont like to listen to the students....thats how most of the teachers/principals are....there are some AWSOME teachers there....like the MCJROTC teacher...

i am getting ready to move back to the area in april/may time frame while my hubby is deployed so if you have any further question please feel free to e-mail me.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:59 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
My guess is that most students feel their teachers are unfair and don't listen. I don't think that's unique to Kellogg.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:35 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,540 times
Nice area, I prefer Wallace myself. Housing is dirt cheap.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 9,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
My guess is that most students feel their teachers are unfair and don't listen. I don't think that's unique to Kellogg.

no its not that most students feel thier teachers are unfair...both kellogg schools have had incidents with teachers hitting a student or throwing htem against lockers or something like that and all the teacher or staff got was a slap on the hand and told not to do it again and the student was the one that got punished....beleive me i seen it myself and am the reason one of the teachers got fired and banned from teaching in the school district because i turned them and the school into the police.....the school is a POS hands down......not only that but colleges can tell when someones gone to kellogg high school because they have the lowest test scores out of all the schools unless the student was highly academic on their own...both the high school and middle school have gotten in trouble for having teachers that werent certified and didnt have a degree.....the school system is worthless and most people would be better off homeschooling.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:47 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldiersWife006 View Post
not only that but colleges can tell when someones gone to kellogg high school because they have the lowest test scores out of all the schools unless the student was highly academic on their own...both the high school and middle school have gotten in trouble for having teachers that werent certified and didnt have a degree.....the school system is worthless and most people would be better off homeschooling.
Have a friend that's an instructor at a cc in AZ, he'll tell you that about most schools outside the upper midwest.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:42 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
Very true, Dangerous. In today's schools it is more important than ever for kids to show their own initiative. Education has changed in many ways... a student will get out of school pretty much what they put into it...and little more because of the elements of money, lack of teachers, language problems, etc etc. Home schooling is not the answer, though...I've seen several familes here who home school and while their kids may learn the 3 "r's" better, they suffer when it comes to social skills.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:02 AM

31 posts, read 109,497 times
Native Of Pinehurst Idaho...I went Kellogg Middle School, that was back in 1991. Was the last time i set foot in that School. Even as an Adult, you know your School was behind. I hated going to School in Kellogg. As noted above, the Teachers had issues and many had NO business, being Teachers. Mrs. Merrick for one.
If you happened to be a straight A student and involved in after School activities, you got away with plenty. Those of us, yes, like me who had a harder time in School, were treated like crap. On many ocassions, i asked for help... and would always get a reply.. That would be... perhaps if you had been paying more attentions, you would not be in need of help.This is infront of the class. I had seen it done, to a number of other students, as well. One Student, was slaped in the face. Guess what!!! She was still able to Teach. I think the best Teachers, who really made a difference to me...Was Mr. Dose & Mr. Lowe... I think without them my out look about School would have been shot. I do hope the Schools are ran better then before. It's true, you can tell alot who went to School in the Valley. Notice my bad skills here..

Old 02-27-2008, 12:48 AM

49 posts, read 159,978 times
Default The Silver Valley life

Hello There,
I have lived in Smelterville (it is next to Kellogg)for 1 1/2 years now. My husband & I moved here from the Coeur d' Alene area because house prices were so high in Coeur d Alene when we were shopping but we found a real estate deal we couldnt pass up. We bought 2 homes right next door to each other in Smelterville. They are 100 year old homes in desperate need of some help. My husband is a contractor so he has his work cut out for him. We have done some rennovations...but still have a lot of remodeling we plan on doing this spring whenever it gets a little warmer. We were really excited about moving out here at first and I thought I would like it more than I have found out that we do. When we first moved out here we went to the water dept to turn our water on & they turned the water on to our guesthouse and not the house we had told them we lived at and then refused to fix the problem for almost a week They were really rude about it too. It was not a very nice welcoming to our new home. So we had to walk next door to use the bathroom or get any water to clean with. Shortly after we lived here our daughter who was only one year old at the time became very ill. Something was wrong with her kidneys...The same week Brooke was sick we got a boil order notice from the water dept stating there were micro contaminants in the water. My mother in law also got sick. Her doctor asked her if she had been drinking out of a creek. We now only drink bottled water.
My husband & I have decided that we are going to move back to the Coeur d Alene/ Post Falls or Hayden area so we can be closer to our family & friends and also my husband has yet to get any significant contracts in the Silver Valley Most of his work is in CdA PF or Spokane.
We have tried to meet people and make friends in this Valley. I have met some really nice people out here & we have some really nice neighbors. But not really anyone I am very close to.
I am a stay at home mom. I had actually considered starting my own daycare out here to help make money & meet people but I thought it would be good for me to get some experience to see if it was for me first .. so I got a job at a daycare near my home that way I could still be with my daughter while I worked. The daycare owner & manager were really nice & I liked them and thought I had a lot in common with them but they never really made any effort to get to know me. They kept making me work different confusing schedules for $6 an hour (the lowest hourly rate I have worked for since I was 15) I only worked there for the experience not the money.Then one day the owner fired me and said it was because the manager didnt like me. No explaination...not like I need to hear it anyways.
This area is too small town for me. It seems like everyone I know is related to each other. I do not want to put my daughter in any schools out here. It is nice scenery out here lots of nice camping areas but not enough civilization. Smelterville now has a Walmart which did help things out here a little. Walmart is probably the biggest thing in the Valley. There is almost nothing fun to go & do except go on a walk or if you consider going & drinking at dive bars fun there are plenty of those to choose from. I guess they are building a water slide park in Kellogg though that might be fun. It was convienient this winter to go snowboarding it was a lot shorter of a drive since Silver mt is in Kellogg & Lookout is only abt 30 min drive(the snow was awesome this year). But when we weigh the pros & cons there really isnt enough to keep us here. Hopefully we can fix these houses up and find some good renters so we can go back to CdA Post Falls or Hayden area. House prices are so much lower now. If prices were this low a few years ago we wouldnt have ever moved here. I dont regret it though. We have a beautiful property here and 2 houses we plan to hold onto at least one of them to use as a vacation home for when we go snowboarding or come out to this area to float the river or camp.
These are my honest opinions I almost feel bad that I couldnt say more good..Maybe if this area grows over about 10 years it might get better. We will see.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:24 PM

9 posts, read 38,723 times
hi there, sorry to hear about your home comming. I'm considering moving to coeur D'alene, how are the schools compared to Idaho falls? how are they about out of towners comming in looking for a job? I can speak spanish alright, is there any need for that in coeur d'alene? I have family in Idaho Falls however my ex abducted my children 5 years ago and i have found them in coeur d'alene. they want me to move there as my daughter goes to lake city high{ i think}. my son is on his own but loves the area. my ex is a nightmare and im not crazy about being in the same town. however my daughter wants to stay in this high school, she is tired of always moving.. kinda nervous about it all. any info about the areas would be great. oh and i hear there is alot of troble teens can get into up there with the spokane influence. do you think there is less in Idaho falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho