Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 11:25 AM

69 posts, read 155,884 times

Advertisements

Hi again, everyone--

Just wondering which high speed internet provider has the best reliability in the area. Cost is less of an issue than speed and consistency, since DH will be using the connection for his work. We'd be willing to pay for the fastest upload and download speeds as long as the service is reliable enough.

Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 14,863 times
I you are close enough to town to get Northland cable it has been the best for me. Verizon DSL was horrible with the bonus of horrible service. My DSL would go out all the time and Verizon didn't seem to care to try and figure out why. They came out and said 'We don't know' and left. Needless to say I canceled and went to cable. Now that it is Frontier it might be better, but in the past it was not reliable enough for me to work from home.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:11 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
For ALMOST every part of Bonner County, you'll have a tough time getting DSL. And cable is not possible for an awful lot of locations.

When I moved here in 2007, I did two satellite systems (buildings to far for cat-5 or repeaters back then). Wild Blue: Nice folks, good customer service, but service went out in the slightest inclement weather, and I thought it was seriously substandard (really bad latency, a lot of packet loss). HughesNet business service was strong, good even in bad North Idaho snowstorms. Latency was still bad (but not as bad as Wild Blue), but packet loss wasn't as bad. Their customer service was ALL India-based, and they were horrible. I hated them with a passion reserved for snotty level 1 tech support flunkies.

There is a wireless broadband service that works quite well if you're in line of sight coverage from Baldy Mtn or other broadcast locations. But if you're not right in Sandpoint or "coastal" north Sagle, you're out of luck to some degree, but it's worth checking into.

I broke down at had Verizon do a T1 line to my house. TOTALLY worth the money. $422.50/month for rock steady reliable 1.5Mpbs up and down with network packet priority.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:41 PM

1 posts, read 11,940 times
Sage,

Sorry to bump an old thread, but one quick question for you:

What sort of additional cost and logistics did you encounter with getting the T1 run? Is it safe to assume that right of way can be a gotcha?

I'm looking at relocating to the area in ~2 years, so I'm trying to get a sense of how much I'm going to have to give in the way of property selection in order to get 'fast,' reliable connectivity (I'll be working from home via VPN.) Judging by Intermax's current tower map, I may well have to go the expensive trenched route.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:13 PM

We were a new construction with the phone company putting in robust service just outside our property. So it wasn't a big deal to get T1...they only had to trench from the front part of our property where the main phone lines were coming across the area. I think as long as their local box has the right number of lines, it's real simple. So as you property shop, you may have to have Verizon verify that they can get T1 to that property without a bunch of extra work across easements or rights of way.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:59 PM

28 posts, read 67,613 times
Has there been any improvement in internet reliability since the last post on this thread in October 2011? Are there any known or suspected plans in the works for internet improvement in the Bonners Ferry area? We are considering a several places north of town, actually north of the Hwy 2. We don't use internet for business but want to be able to use Skype.
Thanks for any updates.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:13 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Verizon has 4G in Sandpoint now!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:46 PM

I've heard about plans for more high speed stuff around town, but not around BF. But then again, I haven't really been paying a ton of attention to Bonners Ferry news...

Old 06-07-2012, 05:28 PM

148 posts, read 501,404 times
Frontier Communications had a meeting with Boundary County commissioners to let them know about there plans for improved service in DSL in county. Almost all of the county will have DSL. Up to 10mg speed. Check commissioners minutes for details. I can't wait. We were on wild blue until EL internet came out with new service. I have 1 MG service for $65/month and its very reliable but DSL would be much better for me.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 10,893 times
I have been keeping tabs on this thread for a few months, any progress on high speed internet in Sagle?

Our family has been eyeing a piece of property there for a year or so.

Thanks for your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho