Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 10:42 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times

Advertisements

What a lousy title, yes I know, but trying to convey in a few words is virtually imposs. Suffice to ask tho, wind haiis smoke across US to east coast (& even asfar as to the Canada Martimes/Maine, etc.) & so... is... Idaho vs way way east -- much overall cardiovascular healthy, aka lung/breathing seasonally, difference vs said e. coast regions?

I like so much Idaho's frontier mentality (perhaps an old-school delusion, I know not but...) & the avant-garde type atmosphere. So, after growing up back east (yet currently now, huge boo, live in AZ -- a dump may I add much to many folk's -- defense as a good place -- chagrin as they adamantly defend AZ's presence as wonderful, ahem) & thus I really toy 'tween Idaho (honorable mention to Montana too) vs Maine for best overall bugout/retirement/peace of mind, etc.

in this upcoming scenario best suited as well (this wholethread ideal slant re that ideal, is kinda also suited for the Survival thread/Self sufficiency forum). So, lest you all argue or think I'm off my rocker (so be it, if so) I really like the west out here -- & want not to return e. of Mississippi River -- tho feel compelled due to familiarity of the eastern US region growing up prior to my 40s -- yet feel that the Cumberland Plateau or even way extreme N. east US (aka extreme N. Maine) remains last eastern vestige should SHTF.

I know this crosses lines w/ you mods vs different topics erratically here as proposed via this thread, & thus may be best suited for Self-sufficiently forum but I think a direct challenge to Idaho folks (via this questioning) will help not only I -- but others also unable to articulate this comparison -- & perhaps give further insight to why & what is the best choice for them, as for me as well.

Thanks for understanding my defence of this topic as it appears in this Idaho forum. Many here cross-list much of they're info w/ Montana (& even eastern WA & eastern OR) & so can really add wisdom re this overall choice dilemma.

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 09:57 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
uh. so you're afraid when TSHTF that Idaho won't be safe ?
Safe from what ?
Perhaps you should decide where to move based on some other criteria,
because nobody knows when or if or in what form some catastrophic situation
would unfold. There are also arguments to be made for warmer weather locations.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:59 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Safe from what ?
True. This was a real disorganized way of putting it, so I realize I did a messy job saying what I meant. Recapping, I do think ONLY these 5 states (ID/MT/WY/eastern WA/eastern OR) are the best in a SHTF scenario. It seems from all programs & folks I listen to/hear it from, re these days, that they confirm that ideal.

Warm tends to drop south towards open borders, & thus makes no sense, as we'd all be best off north not south. So, for every drop in latitude it brings one closer to failed countries & look how many are coming into this country. Ok, it may sound biased but I have had this put in my head over & over, even by many folks I met in AZ -- let alone those I've spoken w/ in the Am. Redoubt states of the 5 that I mentioned.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:06 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Warm tends to drop south towards open borders, & thus makes no sense
Not so sure about that. There is tons of open areas.. more acclimable to
self-sustaining produce and low energy, easier living, might want to wait and see who
wins the election before allowing "open borders" to decide where you will live.
There are preppers in New Mexico who would never want to leave..

Old 08-24-2016, 01:51 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times
Quote:
Warm tends to drop south towards open borders, & thus makes no sense, as we'd all be best off north not south.
I think you may be underestimating the advantages of a warmer climate both in terms of the ability to grow food and in reduced energy needs for heating in winter. I'm not suggesting it's a black and white choice either way, but there are climate related challenges that come with living in ID, MT or for that matter ME.

With the short growing season and less than ideal soil here you need to be a pretty darn good farmer to grow and put away enough food every year to last through the winter. I suspect the same might hold true in ME, but I've not lived there or studied it in depth.

Like you, I grew up in the east (NJ, with 4 college years in PA). We did consider a couple eastern destinations for our retirement relocation, including ME. My sister and brother in law will be retiring to ME, which is primarily what drove that consideration. In the end we decided we wanted to remain in the west for reasons that are more emotional than driven by any rational consideration of the trade-offs involved.

Dave

Old 08-24-2016, 02:43 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
I think that, in general, anyone who wants to live off the grid will do better in a district he knows well already than moving to another place that is completely unfamiliar.

Vacationing in an entirely unfamiliar place may be very refreshing, but day-to-day living is a cat of another color entirely, if one intends to move everything in a move that is planned to be permanent.

In such a move, it's the small things that always build up, and they can lead to as much discontent and frustration as happiness and satisfaction. It's always harder than most people think to become acclimatized to a life where nothing is familiar, especially when there's no ready option to leave again once some disappointment always sets in over something or other.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:09 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Safe from what ?
I have to agree with Snowball. Devastating natural events happen everywhere. If you accept that as fact I suspect you'll be happier making your decision based on other criteria. Accidents happen everywhere too. You could be driving tomorrow and in an automobile accident. I had a cousin lose two children the first week of this month because they both drowned in a backyard pool. How do parents prepare for that tragedy?

From my perspective you can make choices based on the feas of what may happen. Or you can make your choices based on what you want to do while your alive.

MSR

Old 08-25-2016, 11:23 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I have to agree with Snowball. Devastating natural events happen everywhere. If you accept that as fact I suspect you'll be happier making your decision based on other criteria. Accidents happen everywhere too. You could be driving tomorrow and in an automobile accident. I had a cousin lose two children the first week of this month because they both drowned in a backyard pool. How do parents prepare for that tragedy?

From my perspective you can make choices based on the feas of what may happen. Or you can make your choices based on what you want to do while your alive.

MSR
Can't rep you, MSR, but you're a wise person...

Old 08-26-2016, 09:41 AM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:

I like so much Idaho's frontier mentality (perhaps an old-school delusion, I know not but...) & the avant-garde type atmosphere...
It's somewhat shocking to see Idaho described as an avant-garde atmosphere.

Are you sure you've got the right place?

Old 08-26-2016, 10:38 AM

160 posts, read 252,269 times
This is easily the most asinine thread I've ever read on CD.

Indeed, Idaho is about as far away from "avant-garde" as it can be, and the same can be said for it having a "frontier mentality." How can both terms even appear in the same sentence?

And I would love to know what the OP means by "SHTF." I know what the acronym stands for, but I'd like to know exactly what sort of "S" is it that s/he expects might hit the fan? Natural global/US disaster? Gov't overthrow? Gov't takeover? Nuclear disaster? Locusts? Falling sky? Heartbreak of psoriasis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho