Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 12:38 PM

332 posts, read 481,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I wasn't criticizing you, and I agree with you completely. I guess I heard an undertone that wasn't intended. And the "fair and balanced" remark was intended to be directed elsewhere...
CFF I would suggest that if we're all trying NOT to aggravate each other when discussing such volatile subjects, we should refrain from thinly veiled comments altogether. They come across in a much more nasty tone than intended. And we have to give each other the benefit of the doubt without trying to read too much into things.

As far as this article goes, I was surprised at how balanced it seemed to be. What is irritating is the stereotyping that is laid at the feet of these people, specifically by naming the types of guns and provisions they are carrying with them.

I've met Todd Savage, and while he has a brand to sell like Rowles, he's a genuinely nice guy. Who cares what weapons he carries with him, or that he has an emergency medical kit, or a chainsaw? Who around here ISN'T armed in some way (pistol, shotgun, rifle, bear spray, pepper spray, etc) and has some kind of roadside kit in case of emergencies in the winter?

There's crazy prepper syndrome, where you want to dig a 30 foot hole in the ground and bury your family in a concrete tomb, and there's being prepared. The AR-15 comment and picture are designed to polarize the readers into the two camps - those that think the AR-15 is as deadly as a nuclear warhead, and those who know it's just another semi-auto rifle that is fun to accessorize. It's insidious really, and does nothing to bring us to a common ground on these kinds of issues. It simply reinforces stereotypes, and digs the trenches just a bit deeper.

There was a point in time when people left each other alone, didn't care what people did or didn't have, and expected the same in return. At some point we became a nation of narcissistic nannies who judge everyone else at the drop of a derogatory media term. We have an opinion, solidify it, and then preach it as if it's a fact. Then we persecute those who disagree with our value system as if they are stupid, weak, lazy, or evil.

Until we look inside ourselves and deal with our own demons, we cannot work together to build a healthy society. That includes being objective and trying not to jump to the obvious conclusions we are being programmed to reach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 12:40 PM

820 posts, read 1,735,049 times
There are so many things I want to say about this article, but they all feel as equally dumb. so I will just post this:

Last edited by volosong; 08-30-2016 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: image restored, satisfies Fair Use as explained in Section 107 of the Copyright Act

Old 08-29-2016, 12:40 AM

7,366 posts, read 12,617,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is View Post
CFF I would suggest that if we're all trying NOT to aggravate each other when discussing such volatile subjects, we should refrain from thinly veiled comments altogether. They come across in a much more nasty tone than intended. And we have to give each other the benefit of the doubt without trying to read too much into things.
You're so right. It doesn't happen very often, but I'd reached a point of extreme irritability. Next time I'll take a deep breath and go play with the dogs instead of posting...

Old 08-29-2016, 12:44 AM

332 posts, read 481,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
You're so right. It doesn't happen very often, but I'd reached a point of extreme irritability. Next time I'll take a deep breath and go play with the dogs instead of posting...
No explanation needed. <3

Old 08-29-2016, 02:13 AM

29,198 posts, read 22,269,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is View Post
No explanation needed. <3
Yup.
Just know your feelings are shared here by a lot of us, CFF.

Stereotyping Idaho is a gripe I think almost all of us share, whether here on this forum or in everyday life.

The fact is: nobody knows us like us. Never have, never will.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:43 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,797,015 times
The article is interesting and seems to subtly polarize. What I find more interesting are the WaPo reader comments which are mostly nasty. Hopefully those folks stay right where they are. I have spoken with Todd Savage and agree that he is a very nice person genuinely intent on helping people. Chris Walsh and I did not fare as well and the emails back and forth ended badly.

I am not a prepper but would like to be more prepared for disasters, natural or otherwise. I think its only prudent. The mention of law enforcement, EMT, firefighters, is interesting. I do know that many retired LEs have moved here from CA (especially LA). I am sure it is to get some respite from their former daily life in the dregs. As far as racism is concerned, I don't know if NI will ever lose the tendency for reporters to bring up the Aryan Nation and Richard Butler. I wish we could. When that is mentioned in an article like this it just fuels the fire.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:46 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,188,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M H View Post
Native Americans must have had the same fears when immigrants took their lands, annihilated their people, and destroyed their culture and heritage. They fought hard, but they lost.
Natives were not wrong. What they probably feared the worst -- happened. Their way of life and most of their communities were wiped out.

I am not going to moralize who is better -- native culture or the newcomer. Historical facts are indisputable nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M H View Post
It was only an observation - fair, balanced, no politics.
I apologize for my remarks. It sounds like I also have become easily irritated by posters / bullies ridiculing other posters for comments they disagree with, instead of debating the issue at hand, or ignoring those comments outright.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:54 PM

2,394 posts, read 3,001,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
The article is interesting and seems to subtly polarize. What I find more interesting are the WaPo reader comments which are mostly nasty. Hopefully those folks stay right where they are. I have spoken with Todd Savage and agree that he is a very nice person genuinely intent on helping people. Chris Walsh and I did not fare as well and the emails back and forth ended badly.
OTOH, I can report a very positive experience with Chris Walsh. Even for people who aren't hard core preppers (we are not) he offers some good perspective on living in north Idaho where many will be remote enough that it is only sensible to be prepared for common emergencies. Living in a fairly remote location with a 30 minute drive to the nearest town requires a certain degree of self sufficiency and preparedness that only seems prudent.

I do agree BTW that the article employed certain stereotypes that will only serve to polarize people about the subject, and that this was very obvious from many of the on-line comments to the article. My guess is that was why the editors found the article interesting, as I can think of no other reason why a such a story about a small number of people in NID would otherwise be newsworthy for the WaPo's audience.

Dave

Old 08-29-2016, 07:11 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,188,875 times
Of course the article had undertones. Dog whistles were clear "Trump has the support of the fringes, extremists, wingnuts, tinfoil angry white males, who think that Guvmnt is out to get them LOL"

It is in the same vein as Hillary's definition of Trump supporters -- KKK, white supremacists, preppers, racist kooks, in the mountains of Idaho."

Old 08-29-2016, 08:16 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,797,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
OTOH, I can report a very positive experience with Chris Walsh. Even for people who aren't hard core preppers (we are not) he offers some good perspective on living in north Idaho where many will be remote enough that it is only sensible to be prepared for common emergencies. Living in a fairly remote location with a 30 minute drive to the nearest town requires a certain degree of self sufficiency and preparedness that only seems prudent.

Dave
I am glad you had a good experience. I just chalked it up to a difference of opinion and maybe miscommunication. We already lived here and it just did not work out. I am going to be very picky this time when looking for a place because buying from 700 miles was too difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho