Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:30 AM

3 posts, read 21,460 times

Advertisements

My wife, daughter, and I live in Huntsville AL. We don't want to live here forever. We've been talking about moving someplace else, and I'd really like to move out west where there's a lot more open space/wilderness. I'm a hunter/falconer/fisherman/camper/general outdoorsman.

But here's the thing. Neither of us have ever visited out there. I know that's the first step, and we're planning a trip out there in the spring just to look around. I really (think) I like Idaho and western Montana, but I know very little about them other than photos.

We're not rich. In fact, we're lower middle class. My wife is a yoga instructor, so we'd need to live within driving distance to a city that would have yoga-minded people.

And we know nothing about snow. We might get one or two snows here each year - never more than a few inches and usually not more than 2 inches. I've been browsing the real estate sites just to get an idea of what is available. Some of the land I like the most seems pretty remote. Are those kinds of places going to be seasonal due to the snow? I mean, I have a 4x4 truck, but my wife drives a focus. I've never had to worry about snow, so I don't know how this works.

I currently work as a technical illustrator. But, I am really wanting to start my own, internet-based business, which wouldn't be dependent on where I live. If that doesn't happen, I realize I may have to look for a different type of work.

We would really like to build our own home. We're into eco-friendly stuff, and would like to build something simple and efficient. So, I'm more interested in finding land, than a home. Nearly all of the homes listed on the internet seem to be in cities or subdivisions anyway. I'm trying to get away from that.

I guess I'm looking for any suggestions or info that you might have after reading this. We don't really know where to start, other than go for a visit. But, in the meantime, I'd like to start formulating some kind of plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,164,138 times
Eminart, what part of Idaho are you interested in or do you even know yet? Idaho is not a tiny state and has some fairly significant geographical differences between the northern and southern parts of the state. When you say hunter/falconer/fisherman/camper/general outdoors it makes me think of northern Idaho, but perhaps you were considering Boise or Idaho Falls?

I have been to all major places in Idaho, but have only lived in the north and my comments are for that area only.

1. Yoga. It's quite popular among ladies I know, so there is at least the potential for her to find somewhere to teach.

2. The general job situation isn't fabulous. We live in the Southern US now, but I talk frequently with my friends in the Coeur d'Alene area and many of them are struggling and I hear of tough times for people who never would have expected to have employment issues. My hubby commuted to Spokane for the entire time we lived there (13 years). I don't think there was a day he minded the commute - he really liked the time in the car before and after work. So, you may be able to expand the employment opportunities to the Spokane area if your web based business does not work out. I do understand the economy is doing better in Boise and Idaho Falls.

3. Snow. This is obviously one of the largest adjustments for people when coming from a warmer climate. The thing is, I can't predict how you will react. I honestly was surprised at the reaction there was in the Southern US to a couple of inches of snow. If I wasn't here to see it I would not have believed it. In Idaho, even with feet of snow, the stores don't close. No one races to the grocery to empty the shelves of bread and water because snow is in the forecast. Life just goes on. If it's really bad, school might get a postponed start or even cancelled, but generally speaking school will carry on with snow on the ground. I don't know where the remote looking listings you saw are, but I doubt they are seasonal places. Those would be very remote and probably not what you were looking at. While you will see lots of trucks and heavy duty vehicles here, plenty of people drive non 4 wheel drive cars, like a Focus. I had an AWD, but also had two sets of tires. I think the bigger issue is not so much the snow, but the cold and dreary weather than can go on for months. Spring is actually a good time to come because you may experience a flash of spring time or a lot of gray. BTW, there is a lot less or even no snow in the southern part of the state.

4. Building your own home should not be a problem, nor should finding a piece of land. It may take you a while to find what you like that is close into town - a good realtor who specializes in land will be invaluable here. The further out from population you go the more snow is going to be an issue because the snow doesn't get cleared quickly or at all. I know plenty of people in the outer areas who have snow plows that fit on the front of their trucks.

All that said, the summers in north Idaho are generally wonderful and I am not alone in that opinion. Summer is short, but fantastic.

There are many threads about moving to Idaho and I hope you have the time to read through them. Maybe you will get a better idea of which area appeals to you the most and other posters can assist you from there. Of all the parts of Idaho, I think the north is the most green and beautiful. There are lakes everywhere and they are sparkly and blue, not brown, like where I live now. Boise is the largest city and will have more of a city life to offer. It is not as cold and snow isn't common, but it also isn't as pretty IMHO. But beautiful scenery means different things to each of us, so maybe it is just what your heart desires.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:49 PM

285 posts, read 850,520 times
I think living near Boise would be your best bet.

I think you will find the largest number of people into yoga, more work opportunities in general and small enough amounts of snow that you could pretty much continue to not really have to worry about it.

You wouldn't be able to live as remotely as you would with some other Idaho options, but you could still be fairly remote or in a very small town that has excellent outdoor access within about 20 - 30 minutes from Boise. Check out Horseshoe Bend (just north of Boise)

Like the poster above said, Boise isn't as green, but it's beauty is different. Nearly every outdoor activity can be done within 30 minutes of the city - so it is definitely unique for a city of it's size. Summer in Boise can be uncomfortably warm, but if you don't like winter - it's a decent trade off.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:16 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
What is the order of importance in your life?
I'm not try to demean you or anything, but there are lots of outdoors activities, hunting and fishing and wide open spaces in the South, too. Not that there is anything wrong with seeking those activities out here; a lot of folks move here just for them, but some of them move out shortly afterwards too.

And, no offense, but why Idaho? Everything found here is in Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and states further east, like Colorado. In some of those states I mentioned, living would be tougher, most likely, than it is here, and in others, most likely easier for you than here.

I think that before you come out for a trip, and I sure hope you come spend some time with us, it would be a good idea to talk very seriously with your wife as to how you would like to lead your lives outside of the hobbies. Lots of folks are looking for The Little Cabin Home In the West these days; do you really want to live the reality of it? The snow grows as tiresome as the Alabama heat.

You may really love it out here, but I hope you can sharpen your focus a bit. I'm a native Idahoan, but I've lived in other places, and one of them was Bozeman, Montana. It is one of the places folks who pass through want to move to the most, and a lot do. Then, after struggling with Montana wages in the face of the high living and housing costs of Bozeman and Gallatin County, and one good blizzard winter, the majority of the newcomers leave to go back where they came from on an average of 18 months after they arrive.
Those folks comprise about 2/3 of Bozeman's population.

This tale is not to discourage you, but it is cautionary. Things are similar here in Idaho, and in other western states. Please do lots of homework and please, take your time. If there is any possible way to take a long road trip out here, that would be the best way to make a decision that's good for you and your family.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,480,223 times
I'm in the camp of really loving Boise, any outdoor activity I want to do can be done within 30 miles of my house. The same activities become world class if I go just over 100 miles from my house, things like hiking, climbing or rafting.

The best description I heard about Boise weather before I came here is that you get 3 weeks of really cold weather, 3 weeks of really hot weather and the rest of the year isn't too bad. Boise is high desert and fairly similar climates can be found in New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and parts of other western states.

Bring a job with you, I have a really good background and resume yet struggle to find a job or get interviews. Idaho is a great place to live if you have a job lined up, tough place to live if you are looking for a job.

The other thing that threw our family off is our impression of the natives and how friendly they are. Some of the nicest people you will ever meet will be in Idaho. But none of them want to be your friend. So if you or your family like to have a circle of friends you may be up for a challenge.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:00 AM

99 posts, read 264,159 times
Be careful of Boise. It's badly rattlesnake infested. You can't go hiking anywhere without constantly looking down for the venomous snakes.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:37 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,273,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
The other thing that threw our family off is our impression of the natives and how friendly they are. Some of the nicest people you will ever meet will be in Idaho. But none of them want to be your friend. So if you or your family like to have a circle of friends you may be up for a challenge.
Could that be isolated to the Boise area? We moved here, Idaho Falls area and non-LDS, from another state and we do have wonderful friends. They will and have been there for us in a moment of crisis and likewise.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:33 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,164,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Could that be isolated to the Boise area? We moved here, Idaho Falls area and non-LDS, from another state and we do have wonderful friends. They will and have been there for us in a moment of crisis and likewise.

I would never give a definite yes or no to this, but we had some family who lived in Boise for nearly 10 years. They had a very active social circle and close friends and felt very connected. When they moved to C'da, their friends threw a huge farewell party and then...nothing. They have never heard from any of those people again. I lived in North Idaho for approximately the same time. Most of our good friends we only met in the last 4 years or so we lived there. We moved to the other side of the country two years ago and I still get cards, phone calls, texts, emails, facebook on a very regular basis. She pointed out to me how sad she was that her Boise friends seemed to have forgotten them completely. So, there may be something about Boise...on the other hand, where we live now I have met so many fabulous, friendly people and so have our kids - but close friends? or even someone who would invite you over for a barbecue? Nada. I am wondering if people in the 30s age bracket have established their circles and they just don't feel there is room for more. No idea on your ages, but that is what I am wondering because I see this comment a lot for many places. I don't think it is isolated to a certain place, so there must be another factor.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:44 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,365,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joryjim View Post
Be careful of Boise. It's badly rattlesnake infested. You can't go hiking anywhere without constantly looking down for the venomous snakes.
You deserve a good pat on the head lol.

I go hiking often, jog, and/or mountain bike almost everyday in the foothills and have never seen a rattlesnake in all of the years I've been recreating in Boise. People should always be aware, but typically it is nothing to worry about, just be aware. Never heard of anyone seeing one in the city either unless they live up in the Foothills on the edge of civilization with their backyards to a gulch. I can only think of one person being bitten by one up in the hills within the past 10 years I have lived here. The odds are you will run into a grizzly bear in North Idaho more often than seeing a rattlesnake outside of Boise.

For eminart,
There are Yoga studios all over Boise, they are almost as common as convenient stores. Boise has many eco-friendly stores for building and furnishing homes.

The part of the state Boise is situated in is dryer than North Idaho but not any less beautiful. In fact Boise and the Treasure Valley are surrounded by and near some of the states finest and varied scenery. There is extreme natural diversity all around Boise. Expansive forests begin less than 12 miles straight up the mountains that frame the city, big mountains are nearby including some of Idaho's most rugged and scenic ranges, big world class whitewater rivers are nearby, there are lakes nearby and more so heading towards Long Valley, and there is amazing desert canyon scenery nearby. Right in town there is the urban forested Boise River that flows through the center of the city with a Greenbelt almost 30 miles long and a lot of parks and is really a unique experience. I would say that Boise has the best and most diverse recreational options right in city limits of any city or town in Idaho. The same can be said for outside of the city too.

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 07-19-2012 at 06:53 PM..

Old 07-24-2012, 07:28 PM

3 posts, read 21,460 times
Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Believe me, we are definitely going to do our homework, and aren't just wanting to move on a whim. We haven't ruled out Montana, Wyoming, etc. yet either.

Like I said, we're planning a trip out there for this spring. Maybe we'll have a better idea of exactly where we'd like to settle by then.

The more I've thought about it, the more I think I'd like to get my own business up and going before we move. That may end up pushing our move time back a while, but it might be the only option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho