Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 07:36 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

Called a friend today. He had just returned to Idaho Falls from a cruise up by Salmon, and he said US 93 was bumper to bumper in the north lane, but clear in the south lane.

I think that in SE Idaho, where there are only 2 Interstates to get folks into the totality zone, all the 2-lanes will fill up like this. But they will all begin to go back to normal by next Wednesday, I'm sure.

Around Idaho Falls, most of the town traffic is normal tonight, at least in the areas I drove around in. But on occasions like this, it's better to be over-prepared than under-prepared. There was a big rush on groceries and other supplies earlier in the week, but the stores have all re-stocked now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 10:37 PM

2,344 posts, read 1,740,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Considering other areas and I will say so far things are pretty quiet here in Midvale. echo7tango and his wife stopped by on their was. all is good with them too. Roads are open and running pretty clear. Shhhhhh do not tell any one. LOL
Yes we had a very pleasant visit with shades_of_idaho on our way north to McCall and we are looking forward to enjoying Eclipse Day with her!

Today we drove across the path of totality, from south to north on US-95, and all looked quiet -- no crazy crowds, no mobbed fields full of RVs and tents. As shades said. There were a few signs advertising eclipse parking, and a few early campers were out in fields in tents / RVs / trailers, but so far so good. Pretty quiet. Promising, so far...

We're about 36 hours away from the eclipse!

Old 08-20-2017, 08:41 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
I'm just going to stick around here. vox.com says that there will be a 89.6% obstruction in Rathdrum. Would have to drive over 200 miles south to get totality. A neighbor had an extra pair of glasses, so we're just going to have a "End of the World" party.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-21-2017, 10:33 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times
97% here..begun about 10 min ago. I guess I could have driven to Sun Valley, but for 3%--meh.

A lot of businesses in the Sun Valley area are saying that sales under-performed..about like a holiday weekend, no more.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:35 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Glad I didn't drive south 200 miles. It was "okay". Temperature dropped about 5-10 degrees, and it was kinda cool watching the phases. Didn't really get dark. Just like if there were some clouds in front of the sun. To me at least, certainly not worth the hassle of fighting traffic and all the associated inconveniences to see the totality.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-21-2017, 02:10 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times
I was busy out in the woods this morning and forgot to take the time to notice. Completely missed it, so it was really not very apparent unless you were looking for it.

Dave

Old 08-21-2017, 02:19 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,471 times
Had a Great time with Echo7tango and his wife and friend. It was pretty exciting to be able to share it with them. We all took some good shots . It was pretty dark here during the total eclipse. I tried to just take a photo across the yard and only got blacked out screen. So too dark to capture any photo at all. the temp dropped about 12 degrees from start to totality. Listening to the sheriff scanner now most of the people have cleared out and the highway up here is thinning out as far as traffic goes.

All in all I think the turn out was nothing like expected. Which is always fine with me but I believe there are some vendors disappointed in the turn out. Two nights I enjoyed listening to the music in the park from my front porch.

A couple shots I got with my cheapo camera. Echo7tango took lots of shots with his camera on a tripod so he should have much better shots that I got. the one bird photo is just as the eclipse was ending. They are the Midvale Buzzards and not sure but that one tiny white dot to the left of the sun spot could be a planet. Venus was very visible as the eclipse was starting on the right of the sun and I forget which one this one is.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Eclipse on august 21, 2017-8-21-17-midvale-buzzards.jpg   Solar Eclipse on august 21, 2017-8-21-17-eclipse-g.jpg  

Old 08-21-2017, 10:13 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,006 times
Cool photos even with a cheapo camera.
I decided to stay in Idaho instead of heading back to CA. I thought the crowds were going to be insane in Blaine County in the days before the eclipse but it wasn't bad at all although today i wasn't sure whether i was going to be able to get back on 75 going south because there was a constant stream of traffic coming down from points north. People show up in stages but everyone leaves at the same time.
I found a nice little spot up one of my favorite canyons and sat by the river with my dog. There were no people around .... just me and my dog.
It was wonderful but it was over so quickly. The temps dropped quite a bit ... at least 10 degrees ... maybe more. Not sure. The darkness was something like a full moon night. The best part for me was, during totality, looking above my head and seeing Venus!
Anyway, i think there's a collective let down now ... so much anticipation in the communities that were in the path of totality and now it's over.
Again though, very cool. Beautiful. I'm glad i stayed in Idaho.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Had a Great time with Echo7tango and his wife and friend. It was pretty exciting to be able to share it with them. We all took some good shots . It was pretty dark here during the total eclipse. I tried to just take a photo across the yard and only got blacked out screen. So too dark to capture any photo at all. the temp dropped about 12 degrees from start to totality. Listening to the sheriff scanner now most of the people have cleared out and the highway up here is thinning out as far as traffic goes.

All in all I think the turn out was nothing like expected. Which is always fine with me but I believe there are some vendors disappointed in the turn out. Two nights I enjoyed listening to the music in the park from my front porch.

A couple shots I got with my cheapo camera. Echo7tango took lots of shots with his camera on a tripod so he should have much better shots that I got. the one bird photo is just as the eclipse was ending. They are the Midvale Buzzards and not sure but that one tiny white dot to the left of the sun spot could be a planet. Venus was very visible as the eclipse was starting on the right of the sun and I forget which one this one is.
Seconded! We are grateful for celebrating this event with shades_of_idaho! Mrs. Tango & I, and our friend, enjoyed sharing this eclipse with you! I got a few decent shots and posted them to FB. Tomorrow, hopefully, I'll include some here.

What a great day!!

Old 08-22-2017, 08:35 AM

Some of my better shots. The eclipse was fantastic!

Last edited by echo7tango; 09-14-2019 at 07:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho