Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 12:45 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by javatom View Post
... Store it during the winter months with ethanol free gas. Standard gas will go bad in about 3 months.
javatom, can you clarify the above. What do you mean by "standard gas"? Do you mean the old-fashioned gas before they started putting in corn oil? (which would have been my guess) Or is your "standard gas" what is almost always sold these days with 10% ethanol, (or whatever percentage it is)?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 01:00 PM

181 posts, read 270,538 times
Default I was in traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
You don't want CDA, then. In town, the population and traffic can be dense.
I was just driving in traffic and said to myself what traffic? There is no traffic here. Rush hour was about 60 cars. If you're coming from a congested state, your stress levels will be at zero driving in Coeur d'Alene.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:01 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelshund20 View Post
I was just driving in traffic and said to myself what traffic? There is no traffic here. Rush hour was about 60 cars. If you're coming from a congested state, your stress levels will be at zero driving in Coeur d'Alene.
True, I couldn't stand simply riding in a cab in new York . I would go nuts in West coast city traffic.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:01 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
javatom, can you clarify the above. What do you mean by "standard gas"? Do you mean the old-fashioned gas before they started putting in corn oil? (which would have been my guess) Or is your "standard gas" what is almost always sold these days with 10% ethanol, (or whatever percentage it is)?
One of the problems with ethanol is that it is hygroscpopic, a fancy word that means it's a chemical compound that absorbs water. If you have any condensation in the gas tank this creates big problems.

As a result, it's recommended to use ethanol free gas in any engine that will be stored for periods of time, such as lawnmowers, other power garden tools, and cars that are not driven regularly. Finding a source of ethanol free gas can take a bit of work. In the Sandpoint area the Co-op sells premium gas that is ethanol free. I use it for all our gas powered garden tools (lawnmower, log splitter, UTV, chain saws, etc.), and we'll also fill the tank in the one car we plan to store over the winter. Another tip is to keep your tank full to minimize condensation.

It's also a good idea to put Stabil in your gas that will be used in engines that are not run regularly. I put it in my has cans before I full them so it's always in the cans, and in the engines where I use that gas. Costs a bit more perhaps, but it ensures I don't forget when it comes time to put those tools in hibernation for the winter.

Dave

Old 10-10-2016, 09:49 AM

40 posts, read 40,165 times
Would you do the same for a Harley that is stored over the winter months?
I am bring my Harley with me and I just want to make sure storage of the winter is easy so I don't have to worry about it.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:34 AM

294 posts, read 544,329 times
By "standard gas", I did mean what is readily available now and usually has 10% ethanol. I store and even run with ethanol free gas. It costs more and is hard to find, but worth it.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:25 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Both wife and I have 4WD vehicles with a separate set of winter tires. I like having the extra set because I can swap them myself. Most places charge like $40 to swap tires on rims and sometimes there is a mad rush at tire places with long waits. You can always find cheap stock rims. I follow the WA state law of Nov- 1 to May 31(for studs) since we are so close and travel there often. I carry chains as well. The Vette is lowered with wide performance tires and you can barely get two fingers between tire and wheel well. That comes out once the roads are decent and gets put away when it starts getting nasty. As an example, our club's "Spring Run" is April 30th and "Fall Run" is Oct 1. There have been years when it was nice at the beginning of April and as late as Thanksgiving. My car has road rash because I actually use it and drive 1000s of miles all over the PNW. The worst I have been caught in was slight snow on Thompson pass that was not sticking and occasional small hail. A lot of people with brand new cars put the clear 3M bra on nose cone and select locations behind wheels. The cars don't need a lot of prep to put away, just a car cover, trickle charger and you are done.
CTEK
So then what kind of vehicles are we talking about on snow and ice? No such thing as a High Performance vehicle when the weather is clear and you don't want to take your Corvette, Mustang or Challenger Hellcat out?

Old 10-10-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelshund20 View Post
No kidding

Old 10-10-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
The gas we use here in CA is 91 octane for super unleaded which I believe is 10% ethanol.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I think most people who own these sorts of cars take them off the road for the winter and drive something else. Our sometimes messy road conditions aren't going to do any favors for the paint on a car.

If they were to drive them I'd guess they would put them on a set of dedicated winter tires, perhaps with studs.

Dave
So like which brand and type of vehicle do you use as a daily driver in this rainy, snow, icy weather?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho