Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:22 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times

Advertisements

Actually I drove through Mackay last December and picked up some RE fliers of the area because it seemed a reasonable market. At this point I have several options so I'm going to have to investigate carefully. This forum has been great for getting input and new ideas...this will be my final move (I hope) so I wan it to be the right one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 08:19 PM

13 posts, read 55,048 times
Near Mackay is a little area called Darlington. .

LandsofIdaho.com - Land for sale by Darlington, Idaho - Custer County - 10.1 acres
You may be able to divide this into 2 five acre lots.

then this one.
LandsofIdaho.com - Land for sale by Arco, Idaho - Butte County - 5.18 acres

There are also 5 acre pieces in a place called Crows Nest near mackay. Very beautiful with lots of water.
Look through here: http://www.trailcreekrealty.biz/
I will say this. We looked in Mackay for 2 summers and the prices are going up up up. Darlington is less, Arco, less. At first we didn't like Arco much but then my sister in law who lives in Oregon purchased 5 acres there and we spent a little time there when they built their barn, and it is nice. Spectacular view.

The piece we just purchased was never listed at all. The real estate agent just knew someone who might be interested in selling as they had what we were looking for. You have to go there and look around.

If you want to get really inexpensive go up the valley further and look around Elk Bend along the Salmon River

Last edited by Arrowwind; 04-28-2008 at 08:33 PM..

Old 04-28-2008, 09:33 PM

122 posts, read 349,006 times
I have been researching this for a little over a year, and our move is not for another couple two, three years, but I do think it is possible. I've a friend who's a real estate agent in Boise (not our intended location) who has helped me tremendously. Be careful about power, water, spetic, covenants, easements, road access, if the road is county maintained for plowing and repairs - there are some things you really must know before you decide on a place. After that, do a bit of research into methods of building strong and specifically for a cold climate. We intend to use structual insulated panels to build a smallish house - 1500-1600 square feet working with Insulspan or Precision Panels, both of whom will modify and use the house plan I want.

Yes, it can be done, but you have to know what you want and how to get it.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:23 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
That is great information! Thanks so much. I don't want a large place, too much to heat and maintain...1200, to 1500 sq feet. But privacy and greenery are necessisties. I have thought about prefabs or manufactured but am not really excited about that. The panel idea is new to me and very interesting.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:41 AM

32 posts, read 120,824 times
[SIZE=2]Acreage and house for under $200k

Shoshone. Ready for building a house. These beautiful 5-acre developed lots have mountain views, underground pressurized irrigation and paved roads. $69,000 to $89,000. Or, we will build a 4 Bed, 2 Bath 2 car garage. Complete package only $198,900. 35 minutes south of Hailey. Eric 720-1670

I've been poking around to evaluate locations and prices, this was an ad out of the local Twin Falls newspaper.
[/SIZE]

Old 04-29-2008, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,921 times
Thumbs up Lost River Valley

All you Mackay, Arco, in-between, wanna be's, had better make up your minds soon--it is going fast, and some are not of the best class you could want for neighbors---I left long ago, only because there was no work in
my field. I loved the fishin' and huntin'--that is still pretty good, and they have elk and moose that were never seen in those mountains when I
walked them. It gets cold in the winter--they had about 18 inches of snow
on the ground this last winter, and it is still cold--4 above zero one night
last week.
About the only emloyment is the INL, about 50 miles from Mackay, but they do run buses and that is a big plus with today's gas prices. I couln't tell you
what the employment situation is with them.
If you are retired, it is a great place to be. Too late for me to make another move---Prices are getting out of hand, and will get higher, as more
people buy property there.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:53 PM

122 posts, read 349,006 times
I sent you a direct message - check it out. If I can help, please feel free to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho