Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 02:48 AM

4 posts, read 5,705 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on ANY City-Data forum so I'm not quite sure how to do this but we'll see how it goes I guess

I was born and raised on Whidbey Island, WA. I've lived here all 18 years of my life, and it's SMALL. My graduating class had 120 kids, max. Everyone knows everyone around here, to the point where every time I go to the grocery store I see a friend, a friend's parent, a friend of a friend, or someone's aunt/uncle/cousin/grandparent. You get my drift. So, I'm moving to Coeur d'Alene on Saturday to start school at NIC, and I couldn't be more excited to move to such an amazingly beautiful part of the country.

One thing that I'm sort of concerned about is the fact that of ALL ethnic origins, I'm a middle eastern girl (Persian, to be more specific). Don't get me wrong, I'm very proud of my heritage. But in a time where every news story seems to involve ISIS, terrorism, just bad things commonly associated with the middle east, and keeping in mind that Idaho is historically a red state, would I be safe? I know that Northern Idaho has little to no racial diversity, but I'm used to that, having grown up in a place where about 90% of the population is white.

I have visited the area many times and I love everything about it - people, scenery, and all. I think I picked NIC out of all colleges because of the fact that I wasn't ready for a small town to "big city" transition. Nothing will stop me from making the move, and I know that this is probably a very stupid question, I just want to know if being Iranian-American would make me...I don't know, discriminated against? Idahoans are great people, I love y'all to death, I'm just aware of the fact that there are some bad apples everywhere so in my defense, I'm being cautious.

God bless!

-americannomad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 03:02 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
Shoma Chetur Hastin!

In addition to the fact most native Idahoans are not racist at all, CDA is becoming so Californized and gentrified that you will have absolutely no problem. I am Jewish and I went to the local military surplus store/gun store in Sandpoint (an area known for the Aryan Nations) on my trip up there and told the owners I was a Jewish guy thinking of living here. I never had such a warm reception and they were the nicest guys and laughed about those trouble makers who they ran out of town. Indeed, I already made some new friends and shooting partner just on my first trip. In fact, Idahoan people are much more accepting than people think in this respect. There is a lot of things I don't like about Idaho, but deep-rooted racism is not one of them. Yes, some people can be a bit insular and closed-minded. However, mixed marriages are very common here, which just goes to show you the level of tolerance.

BTW, People are not all so ignorant about world issues as they were in the past.. I have made many Iranian Jewish friends over the year, who look very much like any other Persian person and even speak Farsi. Many people are learning more and more about cultures of people in the Middle East and do not just believe every Middle Eastern person is a terrorist or other fearful beliefs.

Every now and again you put up with a few morons making a few comments, but it is mostly done out of ignorance and not out of hate.

Obviously, if you want to wear Islamic clothing, like a hijab, burqa and live a strict Shia lifestyle you will obviously have some issues. But, then again, these problems would be no more extreme in Coeur d'Alene then most small American cities/large towns.

I know Whidbey Island well and use to go shooting up at the North Whidbey Gun Club. Such a beautiful area and sometimes I wish I could go back there. There is no view quite like the bridge over Deception Pass State Park. I use to live in Mount Vernon, so I know the area you are from well. Very nice area. If you have done fine in a conservative place like Oak Harbor with a heavy US military presence then a yuppie/retiree mecca like Coeur d'Alene should be a walk in the park. You have nothing to worry about.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:17 AM

4 posts, read 5,705 times
Kheily khoobam! Shomah chetori? (kinda shocked that you answered me in farsi so for that I think you're super cool )

Very cool that you're familiar with my stomping grounds, not very many people that I know who live in other parts of the state and the rest of the PNW are! I've also done quite a bit of shooting both at the North Whidbey Gun Club and the Holmes Harbor Rod and Gun Club. I'm actually from Langley on the south end of Whidbey, though I go up north very often to go exploring - Fort Ebey, Fort Casey, Deception Pass, Rosario. You are absolutely right, there's nothing quite like a Deception Pass sunset.

I've noticed in my visits recently that most people aren't totally ignorant, and your response gave me a lil' bit of comfort so thank you very much for that. I'm actually not Muslim, though most of my family is and I don't wear traditional Islamic hijab unless I'm visiting Iran, where it's required. My religious views are actually kind of unorthodox - I follow the good aspects of each major religion and incorporate them into my daily life. Weird, I know, but it's my life

BTW, since you brought it up, how long ago were the Neo-Nazis booted outta town? I've read several articles about the situation but I can never seem to remember the exact year.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:03 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
Khoob.. Mamnoon.. Farsi e man bad ast

I know quite a bit about Persian culture and have some Persian friends, many who are Jewish Persians.. Actually, I have hand made Persian rugs all over my house, including a hand made rug of Moses holding 10 Commandments made in Tabriz. My friend David, an Iranian Jew and a rug trader always got me good deals on rugs. I even met another Iranian guy here in Boise at a meetup group and we seem to hit it off well. He is here studying for his PhD.. They have a nice little market here that sells that Persian style flatbread, called the Kabul Market.

I do know Langley and have been through there. Obviously, if you grew up on Whidbey you are going to explore and know most of the island. I have driven through the entire island even took a ferry back to Everett from the Langley station. Sounds like you are quite familiar with the gun clubs.. Well, you are going to have it made in Coeur d'Alene.. They have the one of the best gun clubs in the state, Fernan Lake Rod & Gun Club. They even allow you to shoot there at night and have lighted ranges that go out to 600 yards. I'm envious of you there Not that Boise isn't good for that, but I would rather have the beautiful forested and lake scenery of North Idaho compared to the barren desert scenery here.

Anyway, the white supremacists are long gone.. Well, there may be bits and pieces of them floating around, but that can be said about almost any place in the USA. There is a whole history of the feds raiding the compound in Hayden Lake. There was several groups operating in the area. Ironically, there are several white supremacist groups operating in Western WA & OR as well. So, if you have not had problems there you won't have any in Northern Idaho. Many of the White Supremacists have now migrated over to Montana, another fine state where they are not welcomed, but where they are still operating under the radar. They are laying a bit lower, but I have heard they are causing a bit of trouble up there in Kalispell and even Whitefish. There was a White Supremacist movement in Billings, Montana that was also run out of town a while ago.

A Californian guy named Richard Butler was the head of the movement and I think his compound was raided by the feds and shut down around 2000. He also went to prison. Some of the locals of CDA will probably know the history and facts behind the ousting of the Aryan Nations people better than me.

Let's just say that your biggest problem in CDA now will probably be making a living and dealing with the astronomical cost of living. And, remember, Idaho has quite a large state income tax. So, living in CDA will almost be like living in Seattle (not quite, or maybe like Bellingham) if you consider the living costs, salaries, taxes and home prices all together.

It's a gorgeous place and one day when I am older, grey and grumpier I will consider maybe even retiring up in that area. Bonners Ferry, Priest Lake and Cabinet mountains are all hidden gems still a bit untouched by the huge migration of transplants.

I'm glad I could give you some relief.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:52 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,198 times
I guess I never caught onto how the "red states" are full of racists. I spent years in Minnesota and California and haven't seen such racism before or since. On the other hand, I've lived in Wyoming and Arizona, and even Tennessee and have seen folks give others the shirts off of their backs to anyone who needed it, regardless of their skin. I'd say the same goes for LGBT community, they have more rights in Wyoming or Idaho than they do in California.

I remember one of my wife's coworkers was fretting when her husband retired from the military because her kids grew up never having seen the treatment she got back in her "blue" state growing up, and she knew they were in for a surprise when they went back east.

K, I got that off of my chest. CdA has grown more diverse over the last 15 years or so. Even the outlying areas are accepting of other skin tones. I have a son that is kind of olive colored, we've never had issues. From what I've gathered, the ne'er do wells of North Idaho packed up and went east years ago when their "dear leader" finally assumed room temperature.

I'd say that any areas you'd have trouble in out in the boonies... well, "white" folks would likely have trouble there also. If you ever find yourself out in the woods and hear a banjo playing... run! But that would be way outside of CdA.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:52 AM

294 posts, read 544,434 times
The local rednecks are not likely to be on city data posting welcome messages. They are easy to avoid though. You will like CDA.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:02 PM

820 posts, read 1,739,717 times
Another one of these posts, I just dont get it.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:09 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Welcome and I hope you enjoy CDA and NIC. My son is currently attending NIC and it is just too funny that his twin brother is currently stationed at Whidbey NAS. Knowing what I know about Whidbey Island, Oak Harbor, Anacortes, etc. I know you will have no more issues here than you have had there. I too love a Deception Pass sunset! Have spent many weekends in La Conner.

The racism moniker that has plagued Idaho, especially north Idaho, is just not true and is unfair to the people who live here. There are bad/stupid people everywhere and if you like small towns but access to lots of different things to do then NI is the place to be. Just don't tell everybody LOL.

Again welcome and please enjoy it!

PS there is a great free shooting range in Shoshone County in Smelterville. But don't let that secret get out either.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:56 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
I guess I never caught onto how the "red states" are full of racists. I spent years in Minnesota and California and haven't seen such racism before or since. On the other hand, I've lived in Wyoming and Arizona, and even Tennessee and have seen folks give others the shirts off of their backs to anyone who needed it, regardless of their skin. I'd say the same goes for LGBT community, they have more rights in Wyoming or Idaho than they do in California.

I remember one of my wife's coworkers was fretting when her husband retired from the military because her kids grew up never having seen the treatment she got back in her "blue" state growing up, and she knew they were in for a surprise when they went back east.

K, I got that off of my chest. CdA has grown more diverse over the last 15 years or so. Even the outlying areas are accepting of other skin tones. I have a son that is kind of olive colored, we've never had issues. From what I've gathered, the ne'er do wells of North Idaho packed up and went east years ago when their "dear leader" finally assumed room temperature.

I'd say that any areas you'd have trouble in out in the boonies... well, "white" folks would likely have trouble there also. If you ever find yourself out in the woods and hear a banjo playing... run! But that would be way outside of CdA.
Shoot, when I give directions to my place, I say, "When you hear banjos, go another 10 miles". In my experience the smaller and more remote the town, the more welcoming and inviting the people are. The CDA area is still nice, but it's growing to the point that it feels like most any other mid-sized city-sterile and impersonal.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:14 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
I assume you would need to be more worried in your far left home state of Washington which isn't exactly known as the most inclusive state in the union.

Here is an article about hate crimes reported per state since Trump's election.

Since The Election, Dozens Of Hate Incidents Reported In The Northwest . News | OPB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho