Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 05:29 PM

497 posts, read 484,715 times

Advertisements

The OP posted multiple threads about moving to a half dozen different states and hasn't been on CD since last year. Seems He couldn't make up his mind where to go and gave up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 07:02 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas-Ex View Post
The home prices aren't nearly as good as we have in Texas. We almost didnt move here because of how high they were compared to TX, but then again, no tornadoes here.......

Everything costs more here except maybe utilities, but Idaho has great hiking, mountains, etc and maybe not Hill Country sunsets like at the Oasis, but still very pretty.
I have to ask, where in Texas did you move from?

Even with the crunch in Boise, I still find the homes to be more affordable than Dallas or Austin for what you get. Nampa is only a 45 min rush hour commute to Boise and is much cheaper than just about anywhere 45 min of Dallas or Austin. Nampa has a similar crime rate to Irving, which isn't considered a dangerous Dallas suburb by most.

When you compare quality of neighborhoods even the Northend in Boise has similar prices to "Comparable" Lakewood or the M Streets in Dallas, with lower crime rates and better schools. You really have to move to the Park Cities to get crime rates as low as Boise, and that is one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country.

I mean yeah, you could get a home for 100k in South Dallas, but there but there is probably more crime there than the whole state of Idaho combined.

Idaho also has wayyy lower property taxes.

Now granted, if we are talking about Tyler, Brownsville, or a far flung suburb, I can see how Boise is more expensive, and rightfully so.

IDK, every time I've calculated the costs, Boise has a lower all COL (even with higher gas prices) than the major cities in Texas, but high paying jobs are also harder to find. I've always found the desirable parts of Texas to be pretty expensive, and only cheap when compared to the big coastal cities, Chicago, and Denver.

Also, no offence to the Oasis on Lake Travis, but Idaho has wayyy better lakes to watch a sunset on. (and I'm not even talking the northern Idaho lakes) I would take a sunset on Payette Lake or any random small lake tucked in the Sawtooths any day over the Hill Country.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:08 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,540 times
Quote:
The home prices aren't nearly as good as we have in Texas. We almost didnt move here because of how high they were compared to TX, but then again, no tornadoes here.......

Everything costs more here except maybe utilities, but Idaho has great hiking, mountains, etc and maybe not Hill Country sunsets like at the Oasis, but still very pretty.

Texas has very low home prices, but depending on where you're at the property tax is crazy. Although I have to say, my sister has a place in Hill Country on two acres, seasonal creek that she paid $190 for in about 2005-2006ish and it's AWESOME. Same house would easily be $450 here. It's probably worth about $275-300K today where she's at.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:03 AM

424 posts, read 580,635 times
Due to the rapidly growing population of Idaho, especially in the Treasure Valley, the price of homes are skyrocketing. A home goes on the market and there is usually 2-4 (or more) people bidding on it. A manufactured home with an acre of land just sold for $235,000 in our area.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:29 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Texas has very low home prices, but depending on where you're at the property tax is crazy. Although I have to say, my sister has a place in Hill Country on two acres, seasonal creek that she paid $190 for in about 2005-2006ish and it's AWESOME. Same house would easily be $450 here. It's probably worth about $275-300K today where she's at.
I agree that Idaho prices have gone up quite a bit.

It also really depends on where you are in the respective States though. For example, I live in a 50s neighborhood in Irving, which is by no means a super fashionable suburb, it's known for mediocre schools but a good location. A house one street over was listed in the $280s. In Kuna, you can still get a pretty nice home for $280 and the commute time to the respective downtowns would be comparable. The House in Kuna would be nicer and crime would be lower.

How far out in the Hill Country is she from say San Antonio or Austin? Like anywhere else, cheap real estate usually means less opportunity

I saw a 3k sqft 4 bed, 3 bath on about 4 acres out in Middleton listed at 400k

I saw an incredible home listed near Idaho City for under 300k that had almost an acre and a half of land, 3k sqft, and 4 beds/3 baths. In good driving conditions it's only an hour from Boise which is about the Marble Falls to Austin distance for a comparison.

Also, Boise and Northern Idaho aside, Southern and Eastern Idaho are still ridiculously great bargains that are as affordable as any place could be.

I think people tend to over state how inexpensive Texas is.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:53 PM

347 posts, read 402,330 times
Quote:

real estate taxes and insurance were much lower here compared to houston

Old 05-22-2018, 01:07 PM

332 posts, read 483,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
real estate taxes and insurance were much lower here compared to houston
Texas is a no-income tax state. Idaho has a very high income tax rate starting at a pretty low income level.

So depending on where you fall on the scale, Idaho can be quite a bit more expensive if you live in a modest house with a moderate income.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:50 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I think people tend to over state how inexpensive Texas is.
Plus the entire state has terrible if any services . I cannot go back due to a chronic illness - and other reasons . Plus some of the laws there are archaic as well . I swear we were trained from little kids to think that is the best place in the WORLD to live bar none and it just is not . I left a long time ago and have lived everywhere. Worldwide. I can think of a hundred or more prettier places .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho