Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 02:00 PM

35 posts, read 55,591 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22-year-old college student from Texas looking to move somewhere up North like Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, or South Dakota. I love the cold and want to be somewhat close to a ski resort. I graduate in May with a BS in Occupational Safety and Health so I'll be looking for a safety related job. Where are the most affordable places to live in Idaho that are closest to a ski resort? What is the job outlook like? And really what are the positives and negatives about living in Idaho?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 02:12 PM

294 posts, read 541,189 times
There are several thousand posts you could read first. You could then post a more specific question.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:21 PM

6 posts, read 6,235 times
Check the DOL for OSHA jobs.
https://www.dol.gov/general/jobs

Positives: It's Idaho.
Negatives: Winter.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:01 AM

29,183 posts, read 22,210,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake94 View Post
I'm a 22-year-old college student from Texas looking to move somewhere up North like Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, or South Dakota. I love the cold and want to be somewhat close to a ski resort. I graduate in May with a BS in Occupational Safety and Health so I'll be looking for a safety related job. Where are the most affordable places to live in Idaho that are closest to a ski resort? What is the job outlook like? And really what are the positives and negatives about living in Idaho?

Thanks!
Cold is easy to find. Affordable living in a ski resort town is a lot harder. Destination resorts and affordability are as incompatible as oil and water.

Idaho's ski resort towns are all much more expensive to live in than our other cities. They are no different to live in than Vale, Park City, Jackson Hole, Squaw Valley, Breckenridge, or any of the others in the West.
They all lie in remote, hard to reach areas, are dependent on the whims of nature and the competition, and none ever lack for employees who will work for very little more than a full-season pass and enough to scrape by when they're not skiing.

Ski towns are always full of ski bums whose life revolves around snow and nothing else. Ski bums are always competition for every job in a ski town, along with everyone else who wants to live in them.

I suggest you might consider thinking about your priorities. What is most important to you right now? Your favorite recreation or your infant career? While there's nothing 'wrong' with either, you will have a hard time making both satisfactory.

Your choice of training is a pretty good one, but with no experience in your field is probably going to make your job opportunity in places where so many others want to live isn't going to be easy to land a job.

Any ski season only lasts about 1/3 of every year here. It's important to have an idea of how you want to spend the other 2/3rds of every year, and how much of your priority in life will be dedicated to recreation over the other necessities of life.

There are lots and lots of smaller, local ski hills in Idaho. They're all over the intermountain west. Many won't ever require a lot of employees, and many lie closer to our population centers than the resort towns.

I think selecting a state first, and then planning on checking it out in person when it is possible for you to spend some time in it would be a good first step. Idaho is a beautiful state, but it's not perfect, and no one can determine perfection for you. That's all up to you alone.

But if you can, come out and look us over. There are lots of little local ski hills all over the state. Most don't need help, but they're all pretty close to towns that are affordable and may have a job for you.

For sure, life here is much different here than it is in Texas.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:15 AM

332 posts, read 480,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
For sure, life here is much different here than it is in Texas.
+1, good and bad.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:47 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,229,675 times
Boise is pretty close to decent skiing (about an hour) and a few hours from incredible skiing with plenty in the middle.

The plus side is the weather is much better in Boise than Texas, and although this has been a particularly rough winter, the Treasure Valley has pretty mild winters by northern standards.

The plus side is it's way cheaper than any of the major cities in Texas, the downside is jobs pay less and it tends to be a difficult place to start a career. (Hence the reason I live in Dallas.)

I recommend visiting.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:27 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,361,695 times
Cheyenne, Boise, and some areas of Montana have what you're looking for. Helena is within driving distance to decent skiing and there's an Army base and a VA hospital that might be good chances for employment.

Boise... same thing, should be plenty of possibilities and the cost of living is low. Cheyenne has an Air Force base, a large VA hospital, and is within commuting distance of plenty of possible openings. It's an hour from Denver, which is about another hour from skiing.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:40 AM

813 posts, read 1,054,131 times
One of the reasons I originally decided to go to Boise State University was it's proximity to Bogus Basin Ski area. I love how it offers night skiing till 10pm so you can work a traditional job and still make turns at night. You can even buy a "night skiing only" season pass for $99.

One of the best things about the area is that it is large enough to have a diversity people and things to do, yet small enough that the people are still friendly.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:20 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,402,715 times
I loved Sandpoint and there's a ski resort that you could almost walk to.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,120 times
The home prices aren't nearly as good as we have in Texas. We almost didnt move here because of how high they were compared to TX, but then again, no tornadoes here.......

Everything costs more here except maybe utilities, but Idaho has great hiking, mountains, etc and maybe not Hill Country sunsets like at the Oasis, but still very pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho