Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 11:22 AM

70 posts, read 81,874 times

Advertisements

Light is nice.

To that end, it can be altered if you build a home with light in mind.
We built our first passive solar home in 2003 and were instantly spoiled with the mood changing flood of light even on winter snow days on the western slope of the Sierra at 4000ft.

We purchased a true passive solar designed home we found in Sagle last year, the only one we found after looking for 2yrs.

If you know what to look for, many homes are built like passive solar by accident.

N Idaho does have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 12:02 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
When I lived in Coeur d'Alene I bought a small ranch style home that looked pretty normal.

It was designed with passive solar windows, inside chimney fireplace, and a host of other great features. It was just a simple two-bedroom, one bath house.

The sun came into the house until about April and then the sun angle kept the interior cool, but bright.

I bought a "super-nonsense" home that had BPA certification. What a stupid design.

So how can some guy in Idaho in 1955 get it right and BPA with all their engineers and technology cannot design with nature!!

Old 01-21-2017, 01:03 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,138 times
We still have 18" of snow on the ground at our place in Sagle (2,200' elevation).

We have virtually no snow left in the trees, which I think is what changed about the way the mountains look now.

Dave

Old 01-21-2017, 10:49 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Northern Idaho sun is similar to Spokane, depending on elevation. Here are the WA averages, and can probably be assumed to be close to Couer d'alene at lower elevations.

Average Number of Cloudy Days - Western Regional Climate Center (WRCC)

By this, you can see that more sun is available in Boise, Yakima, Walla Walla, and while not listed, Tri-Cities, WA

Last edited by pnwguy2; 01-21-2017 at 10:57 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 08:16 AM

29 posts, read 37,277 times
Thank you. We have decided not to pursue this opportunity for reasons other than weather. Idaho is such a beautiful place. I'm kind of sad. Thanks again, everyone.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:04 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
CDA's clouds are typically Vancouver's clouds from the day before. With 30-50% less moisture remaining and maybe a little patchier but still moisture carrying clouds in a land tilted away from the sun more than places to the south.
The clouds usually dump most of their precipitation over Seattle, Olympia and Vancouver on the other side of the Cascade Mountain Range. So, by the time they reach Eastern Washington, they are dryer and just produce a thick layer of overcast without a lot of precipitation. When they get into Idaho, they bump up against the Bitteroot Mountain Range and just kind of sit there, making the sky look like a dishwater gray during the winter. This gets aggravated by the chimney smoke and the prescribed burns that go on in the winter.

If you live in North Idaho, just count on very little sunshine from the week of Halloween until about the first week of May.

It effects everyone differently. I -- personally -- have become accustomed to the sunshine and longer days where I live now, and I don't think I could move up that far north ever again. It has been raining intermittently here in Southern California and I am not liking it so much. I know we need it, but I miss the sunshine and the lack of it has effected my mood.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:38 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,914 times
If you like Reno/ Tahoe, why don't you find a job there?

Old 02-11-2017, 09:56 PM

403 posts, read 666,230 times
In my experience:

The falls-There's not much sunlight.
The winter-There's very little sunlight.
The spring-There's some sunlight.
The summer-There's a lot of sunlight.

It's a seasonal town that's undesirable for over half of the year.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:56 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Idaho's winters are dark, period. Since the state is about 800 miles long, the north is closer to the pole, so the days are shorter there in the winter and longer in the summer. At the southernmost border, the days are about an hour longer than they are at the northern border.

Lake effect creates some of the overcast skies in the north, including a lot more fog that occurs in the south. But the south is more prone to temperature inversions, particularly in Boise and Pocatello, than in the north, which sometimes creates log smog.

But the south does get more sunny days than the north during the winter, and they are usually pretty cold days when it's sunny.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:56 AM

820 posts, read 1,738,864 times
I don't know why people are so negative, this has been the last couple days and we have had a lot of days of sun this winter. I just took this from my office window.
Attached Thumbnails
Couer d'alene Sun-img_20170213_104956.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho