Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 12:40 PM

9 posts, read 19,952 times

Advertisements

Dufort Mall, hahahaha I LOVE the Dufort mall!! DvrGrl, can I ask what street you bought on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 08:58 AM

43 posts, read 87,097 times
Hi Srambus, we bought off of Dufort, between 95 and Round Lake--I've sent you a DM with specifics,

Old 03-06-2017, 07:39 AM

69 posts, read 69,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srambus View Post
Dufort Mall, hahahaha I LOVE the Dufort mall!! DvrGrl, can I ask what street you bought on?
Dufort Mall Frequent Shopper's! Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Living around Sandpoint--what you wished you had known when you picked a house-imag0173-20150330-135954-.jpg  

Old 03-26-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2fish View Post
Congrats on finding a home. We have been looking for almost a year.

Curious what kind of internet speeds/data caps you have/will have there.

Congrats again
My husband just returned from closing on our house and camping out on a blow up mattress for a few days. Without a tv or furniture yet, he tried to watch march madness on his iPad. He says the internet speed from frontier was terrible....he got better results by tethering to his AT&T phone. Supposedly we have 19MB/sec? Compared to our current 75MB from Verizon Fios we are in for a shock!

He loved the house. Large flocks of turkeys roaming our fields in addition to the deer. Bright stars at night, not too much road noise, can hear the train whistle faintly. Friendly neighbors. He's ready to move now!

Old 03-27-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvrGrl View Post
My husband just returned from closing on our house and camping out on a blow up mattress for a few days. Without a tv or furniture yet, he tried to watch march madness on his iPad. He says the internet speed from frontier was terrible....he got better results by tethering to his AT&T phone. Supposedly we have 19MB/sec? Compared to our current 75MB from Verizon Fios we are in for a shock!

He loved the house. Large flocks of turkeys roaming our fields in addition to the deer. Bright stars at night, not too much road noise, can hear the train whistle faintly. Friendly neighbors. He's ready to move now!
Congratulations! You all must be so excited! Dufort Valley is beautiful. We looked at several properties there but will settle around the corner in the Hoo Doo Valley this summer.

We too will be in internet speed shock when we move. Glad to hear your husband was able to keep up with March Madness - Go Zag's!

Would appreciate any comments regarding cell phone providers (ATT vs Verizon) in NID. From experience Sprint is terrible!

Old 03-27-2017, 10:56 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker6 View Post
Congratulations! You all must be so excited! Dufort Valley is beautiful. We looked at several properties there but will settle around the corner in the Hoo Doo Valley this summer.

We too will be in internet speed shock when we move. Glad to hear your husband was able to keep up with March Madness - Go Zag's!

Would appreciate any comments regarding cell phone providers (ATT vs Verizon) in NID. From experience Sprint is terrible!
Verizon. That's it. It's the only provider with at least sporadic coverage in places that are otherwise totally without cell signal. We got a booster device from Verizon last year, because we have zip cell coverage outside Clark Fork (we thought of calling our place the No Bar Ranch...). It works okay, but a tall antenna in a tall tree would be better. So we haven't had Internet speed shock, we've had Internet withdrawal shock!

Congrats to all of you who are actually moving/have just moved to NID! We're still a few years away, but at least there's progress on our construction now.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:19 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker6 View Post

We are Verizon subscribers, so I don't have personal experience with any other provider. From looking at coverage maps I think Verizon may have better overall coverage in the area, but those maps are sometimes deceiving.

We had a home alarm technician check for ATT coverage at our house, and it was not strong enough to register a signal on his tester. For reference, we are in eastern Sagle, a couple miles south of the Bird Museum. Verizon coverage is marginal at our place, despite the fact that their coverage map indicates we should have a decent 4g signal here. At first we couldn't reliably make a cell call, and text messages were very iffy, but that seemed somewhat dependent on the phone model.

We put in a cell booster (WeBoost 4GX), and with that installed we now get pretty good coverage. We have DishNet for Internet, but in some ways the boosted 4G Internet is better than the satellite Internet. The satellite Internet shows that it's faster, but the latency is so bad that playing any sort of video is very difficult. Latency isn't an issue with the 4G, so videos are more reliable even though the absolute date rate is somewhat slower.

Unless you live in a location where you can either get a wired service (cable or DSL), or have line of sight to one of the microwave tower providers (AirPipe or Intermax) you are going to be challenged to get really good Internet in north Idaho for the time being. I am hopeful that things will change in a few years when the OneWeb satellite service is up and running.

Dave

Old 03-27-2017, 07:07 PM

Thanks Dave I will share your great insights with my tech support aka my husband ��

Old 03-28-2017, 01:43 PM

Thanks CFF & Cnynrat for the cell phone service input. Verizon it will be. I do believe we have a sight of line to a microwave tower for internet. We will know come the end of June, first of July.

Good Luck DvrGrl on your NID move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho