U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 05:08 PM

37 posts, read 87,389 times

Advertisements

Like everyone else that has approached the age of retirement, I am in search of the "perfect place" to retire.

Things could change, but as things sit right now my wife and I are looking at either Boise, Twin Falls of Idaho Falls as our last homestead.

Included amongst the must haves on my perfect retirement list is great closeby fishing. So I throw this question out there to those who are now or have lived in those areas, which location would be the closest to the best fishing..... Boise, Twin Falls of Idaho Falls.

John
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 07:42 PM

27,031 posts, read 18,289,861 times
Idaho Falls is the closest to the most renowned trout streams- the South Fork of the Snake, the Madison, Henry's Fork, the Gallatin, the Yellowstone and the Big Blackfeet rivers are all less than a half-day away or closer. Some of these rivers are over the border in Montana. Big trout are caught regularly inside the city limits by the falls and in either direction from them.

Of them all, Henry's Fork is probably the most famous trophy trout stream in the west. It's about an hour north of I.F.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:50 AM

3,996 posts, read 2,353,131 times
As Mike already said, of the cities you listed, Idaho Falls probably best fits the bill for retirement and fishing.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:08 AM

3,056 posts, read 5,935,747 times
Check this out:

https://flyhighway.com/

Quote:
The program follows U.S. Highway 20 as it passes through some of the best fly fishing waters in the world.
In addition to the rivers near Idaho Falls, I've often heard that some of the best fishing is at Silver Creek near Sun Valley and the South Fork of the Boise River.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Check this out:

https://flyhighway.com/

In addition to the rivers near Idaho Falls, I've often heard that some of the best fishing is at Silver Creek near Sun Valley and the South Fork of the Boise River.
Silver Creek was over-fished, and is now a protected stream. It's one of the few streams that flows over entirely private ground for almost its entire length, and the present owners of the property closed it all off a few years ago.

It was a legendary trout stream, made so by Earnest Hemingway, but it had been over-fished for a very long time. Mostly by fisherman who wanted to do like Papa.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:07 AM

715 posts, read 819,136 times
Unfortunately, I don't get out fishing as much as I used to, but I do love the fact that in downtown Boise, the water runs clean and you can catch and eat the fish you catch without concern. It is really nice when they plant Steelhead downtown so you don't have to travel to catch them.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
Unfortunately, I don't get out fishing as much as I used to, but I do love the fact that in downtown Boise, the water runs clean and you can catch and eat the fish you catch without concern. It is really nice when they plant Steelhead downtown so you don't have to travel to catch them.
Yes.
The same is true with the fish caught within any of the waters that flow through our cities. Our rivers are still clean here, and I hope they always will stay that way.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:01 AM

3,056 posts, read 5,935,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Silver Creek was over-fished, and is now a protected stream. It's one of the few streams that flows over entirely private ground for almost its entire length, and the present owners of the property closed it all off a few years ago.

It was a legendary trout stream, made so by Earnest Hemingway, but it had been over-fished for a very long time. Mostly by fisherman who wanted to do like Papa.

Silver Creek must have opened again for fishing at some point then, friends raved about it last summer and it is highlighted in that movie link I posted last week.

There is a new hotel being built in Bellevue that is expected to benefit from fishers to Silver Creek.

56-room hotel is on the way in Bellevue – Idaho Business Review

Silver Creek Preserve | The Nature Conservancy

Old 02-15-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Silver Creek must have opened again for fishing at some point then, friends raved about it last summer and it is highlighted in that movie link I posted last week.

There is a new hotel being built in Bellevue that is expected to benefit from fishers to Silver Creek.

56-room hotel is on the way in Bellevue – Idaho Business Review

Silver Creek Preserve | The Nature Conservancy
Cool!
I was unaware of the re-opening. The Nature Conservancy has a very good record of rehabilitation, so opening the creek again is a great sign of success.

The entire Wood River drainage is all excellent fishing. When I was a kid, my grandfather often set up for the summer in his little trailer and would fish the whole area all summer. Grandma sometimes went along, sometimes not, but my brother and I went with him as much as we could. He was a great fisherman all his long life. My bro became a pretty good one, too, better than me, but neither of us were ever half as good as him.

Silver Creek is a great spawning ground, and it's healthy once more. I have a lot of memories of wading it when I was very young with a fly rod in hand, freezing from the waist down and broiling from the waist up in the summer sun.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:19 PM

1,533 posts, read 955,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Cool!
I was unaware of the re-opening. The Nature Conservancy has a very good record of rehabilitation, so opening the creek again is a great sign of success.

The entire Wood River drainage is all excellent fishing. When I was a kid, my grandfather often set up for the summer in his little trailer and would fish the whole area all summer. Grandma sometimes went along, sometimes not, but my brother and I went with him as much as we could. He was a great fisherman all his long life. My bro became a pretty good one, too, better than me, but neither of us were ever half as good as him.

Silver Creek is a great spawning ground, and it's healthy once more. I have a lot of memories of wading it when I was very young with a fly rod in hand, freezing from the waist down and broiling from the waist up in the summer sun.
When we lived in the Wood River Valley, fishing Silver Creek was more of for the rich out of state tourists. The Big Wood was ok , but then became catch and release in sections with small trout. Many of the locals, did like we did, and went over Galena, to the Salmon River Valley for better fishing and larger trout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho