Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:24 AM

820 posts, read 1,738,864 times

Advertisements

Well one thing you can look forward too is there is a huge CAPD and CHP presence up here, they have meets every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 12:52 PM

231 posts, read 250,716 times
Here's a little more info from the SS website on how much your benefits are reduced if you work in a job that doesn't pay SS contributions (see link below). Between Redwood's PDF sheet and this link, your hubby should be able to calculate where he stands regarding this issue.

Something else you may consider is if your hubby can transfer to some more desirable location near the state border. People sometimes live across a state line yet continue to work in CA for the pay, retirement, benefits, etc. In the South Lake Tahoe area, it's extremely common for most LE to live in Nevada and work in SLT.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/wep-chart.html

Old 02-27-2017, 03:47 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
I second CAHntr. In northern CA there are many places you can live that make it seem like you are not living in CA at all. I lived on the coast near Oregon and outside Sacramento in the foothills. Susanville is another location. Transfer to another location if he is state Fish & Wildlife is a good idea. I know giving up a CALPers retirement is a difficult decision.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:31 PM

26 posts, read 49,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHntr View Post
Here's a little more info from the SS website on how much your benefits are reduced if you work in a job that doesn't pay SS contributions (see link below). Between Redwood's PDF sheet and this link, your hubby should be able to calculate where he stands regarding this issue.

Something else you may consider is if your hubby can transfer to some more desirable location near the state border. People sometimes live across a state line yet continue to work in CA for the pay, retirement, benefits, etc. In the South Lake Tahoe area, it's extremely common for most LE to live in Nevada and work in SLT.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/wep-chart.html
Thank you for the link and info. It is very helpful! If we move to Idaho, it just seems right to us to become a part of the economy and move our jobs there. We will be up there to check out the area in a few weeks! If anyone has any suggestions of where we should go in Northern Idaho I would appreciate your suggestions. Thank you!

Old 10-25-2017, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,484 times
Smile CA to ID.. did you move??

Quote:
Originally Posted by apjean View Post
Thank you for the link and info. It is very helpful! If we move to Idaho, it just seems right to us to become a part of the economy and move our jobs there. We will be up there to check out the area in a few weeks! If anyone has any suggestions of where we should go in Northern Idaho I would appreciate your suggestions. Thank you!
Hi there, I came across this thread and wanted to see the outcome of your decision? My husband and I too are in the exact same boat. We are in our 30’s, 2 young children, hubby has been in Law Enforcement for 12 years and we too live in CA and are really considering moving to Idaho (looking more into the Boise area and surrounding cities). We haven’t done a ton of research yet as far as what would happen to his retirement with CalPERS and if it would legitamitely be in the best interest of our family to move, but I am curious to hear what you guys decided to do? Did you stay in CA or did you move to Idaho?

Looking forward to hearing back,

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2017, 10:18 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMV913 View Post
Hi there, I came across this thread and wanted to see the outcome of your decision?..
I recommend you send apjean a DM asking your question. She has not logged on since April 29th.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-25-2017, 10:40 PM

2 posts, read 1,484 times
Thank you for letting me know! I am brand new to this and first time posting on a thread. I will try that, thanks again!

Old 10-26-2017, 09:05 PM

181 posts, read 270,404 times
Default Temecula

Quote:
Originally Posted by apjean View Post
Thank you all for your responses. We want to live in a place that more matches our mindset and we have young kids. Temecula is a very nice city and the weather is wonderful. However, in the 10 years we have lived here it has gotten even more crowded, houses continue to be build, and traffic is becoming insane. Yes, I know progress is progress. For me, Idaho seems like a slower pace of life, a better place to raise our kids, and a chance to be part of a great community that we would fit into.
In addition to getting your opinions on this site, I emailed and got a response from a police human resources department. Their rep said police officers in their department receive something called a Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) to help with medical costs after retirement. They are also eligible for social security. It is hard to determine whether or not this would be adequate when he retires. Take care,

April
I remember Temecula being all farms in the late 80s. Winchester road was wide open for our military convoys from Camp Pendleton to 29 Palms.

Temecula is too hot during the summer time, and you're right very crowded.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:16 PM

231 posts, read 250,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMV913 View Post
Hi there, I came across this thread and wanted to see the outcome of your decision? My husband and I too are in the exact same boat. We are in our 30’s, 2 young children, hubby has been in Law Enforcement for 12 years and we too live in CA and are really considering moving to Idaho (looking more into the Boise area and surrounding cities). We haven’t done a ton of research yet as far as what would happen to his retirement with CalPERS and if it would legitamitely be in the best interest of our family to move, but I am curious to hear what you guys decided to do? Did you stay in CA or did you move to Idaho?

Looking forward to hearing back,

Thanks!
Your hubby probably already knows it but being in a LE CalPERS job would mean a safety retirement. That translates to 3% a year of his highest annual or average of 3 highest years depends on his contract) salary including everything (incentive pays, etc.) but overtime. He would typically be vested (entitled to a retirement) after 4 years and be eligible to collect his retirement at age 50. There's more idiosyncrasies to retiring in a CalPERS job but those are just a few main ones to consider.

Good luck on Idaho. The wife and I are planning on moving there after we both retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho