Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 10:57 AM

278 posts, read 1,138,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sultresweetie View Post
This is the other reason why you are getting rich outsiders buying up all the land. People VOTED to have their living wage and benefits put on the chopping block when they passed the "Right To Work" lie. Many people predicted this crisis, but no one listened, because once again, their hero, Mr. Reagan and even Chuck Heston on TV spewed their conservative rhetoric, that it was Union greed keeping everyone from making a better living, when in reality, it was just the opposite. They made it a bipartisan issue, knowing the demographic make up, and the result is Idahoans don't have the protection that labor unions offered working class people, or even the influence of unions to make non-union companies compete for better benefits and wages.
What I find funny is people from out side of Idaho know this about the right to work laws and what they do to a family’s income. On the other hand so many people that live in the states with them think there the best thing for there family when in the end it really is what cuts wages and other items families heed for a growing and better live to keep up with inflation. I also do not believe it is one party based at all but a business base aspect and show how they and the state care so little about the average Joe worker

Old 12-16-2006, 11:47 AM

278 posts, read 1,138,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami View Post
And yes, not all Ca people are the same. Some of us actually do not like the Ca lifestyle and are looking for a more simplistic way of life. I don't know why people have to lump us all together. Are you and all your neighbors exactly the same and think exactly the same? Probably not, so why woulod you assume we all think and act the same??
this was refreshing to read as it is not a blame one group for all problems but an open minded thought of no matter were your from some people will blame any one but the true reasons and others look at it open and mindful and place blame were it really belongs home grown or move in make no deference.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:30 PM

465 posts, read 2,426,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitow View Post
Lets forget all the different colors and races that live in CA. I am pressing 60 years of life. I now wan't to get away from the masses of traffic and smog etc. I would like to buy a small home away from the masses of people. You tell me how can a single man,not rich, buy a home for 700,000 or 800,000 . Ain't gonna happen for most people in CA. I'm too old for house payments. My only option is to move to a different state where I can use what little equity I have to buy a home in cash. I would love to buy in CA. The weather is great. I can't stay here. I, like many people in CA, are being forced out because we can't afford to buy here. If you are looking for someone to get P.O. at, blame the REALTORS and BUILDERS. CA people aren't jacking up the prices, the sellers are. There is nothing I can say to make other states understand what the non-weathy people of CA are going through. So if you choose to be bitter about CA people, go right ahead. Nuff said.
skitow, if you're looking for a house in California between $700k-$800k, they are there, it may not be an area you want to live in because of preference, but they do exist. Check out northern cali, specifically, Rocklin.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:07 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,211 times
Default jeweloflight - skitow was making a statement about

home pricing in CA being $700-$800K and that is why he is looking to leave the state. Not sure why you would tell him to check out Rocklin when he was looking to get away from the masses and high home prices. Sacramento County and Placer County (where Rocklin is located) are where the masses are

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
skitow, if you're looking for a house in California between $700k-$800k, they are there, it may not be an area you want to live in because of preference, but they do exist. Check out northern cali, specifically, Rocklin.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,621 times
Wow, I decided to look at the info about Twin Falls since my son moved there from, OMG, CA. His in-laws have owned a few hundred acres north of there for decades and his b-i-l owns a few hundred acres in the same area that he runs cattle on.

Guess what Idahoians, there are lots of us *real* California natives that aren't any happier about folks moving into CA than you are about Californians moving into Idaho. And some of us are *real* California natives with a family history of living in the same area for a few thousand years.

To the person that said something about Mexico wanting to take back the state. This state never belonged to Mexico. The Spanish sent some folks up here to kill off the natives and steal the land but that doesn't mean they owned anything!

To the person that likes their dirt roads, well we like ours too! I live on a private dirt road, 2.5 miles off the little two lane highway and 9 miles from a wide spot in the road that is officially a town. No sidewalks, no stop signs, sure as heck no stoplights. Y'all need to get over thinking all of California is L.A.

To the person that doesn't like San Francisco, don't visit, it won't hurt their feelings, and didn't like Democrats, I'd suggest a history lesson. Republican governors have run this state into the ground. Not to say the Dems have done much better but they sure as heck didn't sell out to Ken Lay and cause the power to go out up and down the state. Nor did they close all the mental institutes and put thousands of homeless out on the street!

So, everyone who wants to move out of California, y'all have my blessing. However, all those wanting to move into California, please leave your whining at the state line about how great the state was that you moved from. If it was so great then pack it up and move back!

Old 12-16-2006, 11:16 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
As pointed out to you a few times in this thread, I never mentioned the dirt roads, but yeah I do like them.

Do I own Idaho? Not the entire state, however by paying my taxes and by voting I own more than those who do not reside in Idaho.

In my opinion, paving roads, building more schools (not that it's happening, although the increase in population is!), hospitals and the like can be a bad thing when indeed it does begin to diminish the small town charm I was attracted to in the first place. If perhaps a person doesn't want to live on dirt roads than yes, they need to reside in a concrete jungle.

What I am noticing is that while housing prices are rising, by Idaho standards, and the cost of living overall is slowly climbing, the much needed facet for those two items is not rising and that is income.
I just read this week in the Post Register that here in SE Idaho a person can no longer hold down a 40 hour week job at the payrates here and have enough to live in a two bedroom apartment. Most counties in fact, you'd need to work 60-80 hour weeks to live accordingly. Naturally they are talking of increasing the min. wage again.

I'd love to point out the link, to the article, however with the PR you have to be a paid subscriber to view online.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:19 PM

9 posts, read 36,818 times
I was born and raised in Idaho until military life took me the world over. Yes I moved back from CA-last assignment, but that was all it took. California just bears the weight of so much diversity that many are overloaded with input. ANY state has its issues-Id and the water rights wars is one many people don't see. Wages are comparable to housing/living costs, immigration is HIGHER here than any border state, but because we all get along its not an issue. Here, if you don't work the fields-lots of people won't eat,period. Me, every AG worker out there needs a raise for the tremondous labor they put in,but GOVT policies affect us too. We have met nothing but the greatest people up here-way friendlier than some other states. Again, its only because of opportunity and geography. When you drive 20+miles to get milk and see no body on the road you tend to smile more, when you fight a three hour drive in CA for those same 20 miles what the heck is there to smile about? Given a chance, we would all smile more!!

Old 12-19-2006, 04:18 PM

217 posts, read 1,002,742 times
Default Wildberries61

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Hi skitow,
Nice to meet ya. I know what you mean about the area growing. We took our kids to Disneyland a couple of years ago and was very surprised by all the growth there was not a green lawn one concrete every where. My husband grew up there and Calif. Adventures used to be a strawberry field and fruit orchards all around. I believe most Idahoans just don't want this to happen to our state and I believe that is what mark was trying to say.
I don't think its the individual Calif. coming a lot has to do with attitude. When most come they drive too fast, flip people off, complain theres too many rednecks, can't make a living, no social life and whats wrong with everyone you are all to slow. These are the comments I hear from many Calif who move here.

I moved here 15 years ago before it was get the hell out of Calif. and I moved here for the beauty of the outdoors and not needing all the man made entertainment. So, when moving here drive slower you will get there in a reasonable time,have respect for your fellow driver,appreciate the ranchers and the cowboys, live with less,enjoy your family for social life and were moving slower so we can live longer.

I believe sultresweetie mentioned diversity in Calif. I think most people in Idaho diversity is are we going to have chicken or beef for dinner. Come to Idaho for its redneck ways not the attude were out to please everyone thats California and probably New York.
Hi, nice to meet you. I have'nt logged on for some time. I got tired of getting kicked in my pants LOL. In certain areas of CA you have no choice but to drive fast. Like ALL the highways. If everyone is doing 70, and you try to merge at 55 your taking your life in your hands. I drive the speed that the traffic is flowing. I have never flipped anyone off. Some nutcase may take that very seriously. Let me change the subject here please. I don't get it. If CA people move to Idaho and think everything sucks, why the hell did they move there in the first place?? A 10 year old kid would have the common sense to check it out before making a super life changing move like that. You must have a pocket of CA idiots that made the move all together. CA has plenty of them. The more the population grows, the nastier people get. I hate to say it, but this country is going to continue to grow andd there is nothing anyone can do about it. Change again. I know I could look this up, but what is a right to work state. What does that mean and how does it affect you? Lets all hope for a better year in 2007. Take care, skitow.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,936 times
Default Us Moving In

I just read this forum, which was originally emailed to me from my mother who did not read it yet she wanted me to see all the beautiful homes in Idaho that are priced "reasonably" and fit into our budget. It's amazing how other people can live and are blessed that their economy isn't messed up and twisted like ours here in California.

Sure we could sit and wait for it to be fixed but who wants to take such a chance and miss out on things we could have and enjoy. That decision is not really ours, it's the governments and they messed it up. There's a possibility that California will just get worse and not better. I love California, born here and never imagined on moving out of State because this is where I'm comfortable and of course all I've ever known. After seeing all the beautiful scenery and homes that are three times better than the one I purchased at the same price or even less, I would be silly to settle here. My mom is looking to retire eventually and doesn't want to stay where she is at forever and places like Idaho can offer her a very comfortable retirement.

I am disappointed but not shocked that some residents of Idaho feel the way they do towards California people moving to their state and buying up the property. Many reasons people move away besides the cost of living being ridiculous here is we are flooded by illegal immigrants that abuse the system and we end up paying for their damage of the system. Also from different cities where their pay is more we have people moving here as they can easily afford the asking price of Sacramento homes whereas people living here in Sacramento can hardly afford gas, groceries and just the basic costs of living. I have accepted the fact as well as my mother and many California residents that if you move out of California then good luck trying to come back because it won't be easy at all! I hope that if my mother or my family someday actually made a move to any other state that we would not be criticised for making a better life for ourselves but instead being welcomed into a new beginning/life.

I just wanted to shed light on our way of life here in California in case it is misunderstood as it comes across that way here in the forum.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:27 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
Skitow:

are you sure it is the ASIANS?? It seems to me that is it not the Asians but the liberals who have driven up the prices in California. From the leftist regulations on everything, to the affirmative Action crowd, to the Greenies, to the Yuppies in tech towns, to the Hollywood set. How is it the Asians fault, please explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho