Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 08:58 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,442,962 times

Advertisements

....Boy lucky to be alive.

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BByhTwf?m=en-us

Any traps like that in your neck of the woods?

Last edited by EvilEyeFleegle; 03-31-2017 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: corrected error of fact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 06:29 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Yes, I think.
That happened a couple weeks ago. And there are other states that have M44s planted by the USDA, WY and TX are two that come to mind.
Cyanide device on US land broke agency policy - KIFI

Old 04-01-2017, 01:14 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
I think the M44s are nothing but land mines for all wildlife. Any critter, not just a coyote, that's curious can be killed by one. Any youngster who checked one out could die- an elk calf, a fawn, a cub, or any domestic animal as well.

Poison has been used on coyotes forever, but back in the day, it was done by poisoning a carcass of a lamb, piglet, or something, and was staked and flagged with notices that were all large and on eye level to humans. Those wildlife land mines are unobtrusive, unmarked and differ only from land mines used on humans by the method of death they deliver.

Employing them in the first place was a criminal decision that should never have been made. Coyotes can be caught by many other means that are more safe to everything, and all the poison and delivery devices only work once, on one coyote only, at their best. As soon as one coyote is poisoned, all the others learn the scent of the chemical off its carcass and avoid the other devices the rest of their lives.

And just like human land mines, the damned things are soon forgotten where they are placed, but their hazard remains for years and years to come. They should be abolished!

Old 04-01-2017, 02:08 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
+ The poor dog dying, and the boy being traumatized for the rest of his life.

We lost our dog to a rattlesnake bite 3 years ago, and I can't begin to describe the grief and horror we felt. If her death had been caused by a nefarious device like the coyote trap--I can't imagine how we would attempt to contain the rage we would feel, added to the grief...

Old 04-01-2017, 11:57 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
What makes this all the sadder is there are folks out there who would like to have a job hunting coyotes and would do a good job of it.

I know several guys who once hunted them for Idaho Fish & Game or the National Wildlife Service, and others who hunted them for pelts when it was legal. At least two of them told me stories of spotting domestic dogs out in their hunting areas that had become lost or ran away.
One guy called the lost dog, and jumped into his truck. The dog was taken to the local pound, as he had a tag. My friend didn't know what became of it, but thinks the dog went back home.

The other avoided the person I knew, but was left alive.

I have a niece who once picked up a Border Collie pup that had wandered away from its owners, most likely from a sheep herder whose dog had whelped. It was in January. He was starving, and was trying to eat the frozen carcass of a litter mate just off the road. She flashed his eyes in the headlights of her car.
She stopped and picked him up. The dog was nearly frozen to death and was skin and bones.

He's old now, 16, a real old age for any shepherd. His name is 20, after the highway, and became one of the best working dogs in our family.

I hate to think what would have become of him if he had blundered upon one of those land mines. They are all baited with scent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho