Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 12:35 PM

7,344 posts, read 12,574,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Is there any advantage to going up to the northern part of Idaho like Bonners Ferry or Grangeville?
Remember we talked about this in another thread last year? The landscape is completely different in the far north. Bonners is situated in the broad Kootenai River valley with tall mountain ranges on either side. If Bonners is not remote enough, Moyie Springs is another 10 miles or so to the east, and it feels very remote. Grangeville is on a high plateau with rolling hills, a completely different environment.

I would agree with Dave about Athol--in some years it will probably be part of the mega-city of Spokalene...

So, come on over and see for yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 03:24 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,916,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
To me, the best thing about Athol is it is more or less midway between CDA and Sandpoint. It's an area with primarily rural/ residential properties and (so far) little commercial development. There is Silverwood theme park, and a recently approved commercial development near there on 95.

What I don't find so nice is that it's fairly flat, and I prefer something with at least rolling hills. Also, a major train line runs through there, and I think it can be hard to avoid train noise.

The other consideration is to think about the future. In time I think the level of congestion you see around CDA will spread north, and that might eventually reach Athol. After a year of living in Sagle, CDA now feels like a big city when we visit there. It's really not, but our perspective has definitely changed.

North Idaho offers a nice range of choices on the city/ rural spectrum. In general, the further north you go the more rural it becomes, but there are more rural pockets in many places. In the end there is no substitute for exploring the area in order to see where you might find the best fit for your situation.

Dave
North Idaho sounds good to me. Most of the hits I have been getting for homes for sale from Zillow are in the Caldwell area, Rigby, Parma, Nampa.
All of those areas are near the Boise area which is congested.

Grangeville is congested place but outside a few miles of that town has some rural homes that look good.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:50 PM

29,177 posts, read 22,178,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
North Idaho sounds good to me. Most of the hits I have been getting for homes for sale from Zillow are in the Caldwell area, Rigby, Parma, Nampa.
All of those areas are near the Boise area which is congested.

Grangeville is congested place but outside a few miles of that town has some rural homes that look good.
Rigby is in Jefferson county, much closer to Idaho Falls than to Boise. It's the county seat of Jefferson county, and has a population of about 4,000. All of Jefferson county is rural, and is not congested at all.

I wouldn't exactly call Grangeville congested, either; it has a population of 3,400 and is the only town of any size in Idaho county, were Grangeville is the county seat.

Rigby is only 7 miles away from Idaho Falls, but is about about 300 miles away from Boise.

All the other towns, though, are in the Treasure Valley area, and closer to Boise.

Old 07-01-2017, 04:05 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,916,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Rigby is in Jefferson county, much closer to Idaho Falls than to Boise. It's the county seat of Jefferson county, and has a population of about 4,000. All of Jefferson county is rural, and is not congested at all.

I wouldn't exactly call Grangeville congested, either; it has a population of 3,400 and is the only town of any size in Idaho county, were Grangeville is the county seat.

Rigby is only 7 miles away from Idaho Falls, but is about about 300 miles away from Boise.

All the other towns, though, are in the Treasure Valley area, and closer to Boise.
sO I should still consider these areas if I want to live in an area of low population, little or no traffic on roads and no lines in stores?

Also I am looking for a home not in a subdivision but has its own private driveway so I don't have to worry about cross traffic from neighbors or their troubled kids racing up and down the streets.

My impression was that Boise is a congested place to keep away from.
Lots of other towns like Emmet, Wilder.

Though I like the idea of North Idaho towards Bonners Ferry or Cour Da lane. But the Nampa, Rigby, Wilder, emmet areas will do if they aren't congested. Lots of selections of homes for sale that have been on market long time and taken off and on market.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:07 PM

36 posts, read 47,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy2 View Post
Thanking for responding. I am hoping to find a dwelling w/a kind of enclosed patio and/or backyard area. That said, I did not favor the climate in Oregon. It was very wet.
NASHVILLE. You would be amazed. Google it, check out a place called East Nashville or Franklin.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I've never understood why when a person posts in the Idaho forum interested in Idaho cities, and input on Idaho cities, that a person(s) can always be counted on suggesting other states. Seems counterintuitive and takes the thread(s) of course and the thread(s) may as well be in the General U.S. forum.

First it is Ashland and now Taos lol. I would think if the OP is interested in those other cities that they would post threads in said forums.
And Nashville! LOL *Sorry* I just posted the suggestion to him. I don't know Idaho well yet, so I don't say much about it. But since I lived in Nashville for a while, I knew it would be similar to what he was looking for so...

I don't think any of us mean any disrespect, I certainly don't, I just thought it was a good fit for what he seems to be looking for!

Old 07-01-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Are you sure you know very much about Moscow to state that is does not have a supportive artistic community? Moscow is a university town often praised for its artistic vibe. It may be isolated but sometimes isolation creates a healthy artistic community.

Boise is actually known for its vibrant evolving artistic communities including the writing community. It’s very evident in the city. In addition, public art is all over Boise.

I don’t think anyone is encouraging the OP to move to a city in Idaho that does not “meet his criteria”. In fact those of us familiar with Idaho are giving the OP insight to Idaho which you seem to lack.
I tried to rep you, but I've got to spread more love first!

Old 07-01-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGFL View Post
And Nashville! LOL *Sorry* I just posted the suggestion to him. I don't know Idaho well yet, so I don't say much about it. But since I lived in Nashville for a while, I knew it would be similar to what he was looking for so...

I don't think any of us mean any disrespect, I certainly don't, I just thought it was a good fit for what he seems to be looking for!
Don't worry- you aren't the first to wander off to other states on this forum. Whenever someone begins asking for comparisons, other places are bound to come in as answers to the question.

I have a friend and former bandmate who moved to Nashville years ago and is still there. He says he misses Idaho sometimes, but his wife doesn't, and he made a good life for himself there. One of these days, I may go and spend some time in Hendersonville, hanging out with him & his family.

He's one of several old buddies who now live there. One made a big success there, grew tired of it, and moved back to Boise a couple of years ago. He now flies to Tennessee whenever he gets a call to come work.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:38 AM

49 posts, read 116,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Mike, here's a summer hobby for you: (1) Go into your old posts, (2) start copying them into a separate file on your computer, (3) edit them into chapters, and (4) publish!
Good one!

Old 07-12-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Are you sure you know very much about Moscow to state that is does not have a supportive artistic community? Moscow is a university town often praised for its artistic vibe. It may be isolated but sometimes isolation creates a healthy artistic community.

Boise is actually known for its vibrant evolving artistic communities including the writing community. It’s very evident in the city. In addition, public art is all over Boise.

I don’t think anyone is encouraging the OP to move to a city in Idaho that does not “meet his criteria”. In fact those of us familiar with Idaho are giving the OP insight to Idaho which you seem to lack.
I believe the entire state is as friendly to all the arts as it can be.

It is always pretty easy to find a lively arts scene wherever there are a lot of people, and the arts all tend to grow and blossom where there are a lot of folks.

But small towns here tend to cherish the few artists they have in their little communities.

And while life in a small town may not offer as many possibilities to appreciate or participate in any/all the fine arts, that certainly doesn't say the folks who live in them are incurious or don't want them.

I've yet to go anywhere in Idaho where someone failed to mention a prized local musician, painter, poet, dancer, writer, you name it.

There's no difference in our appreciation of the arts. The differences come in their local availability and/or how far we must travel to enjoy the professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho