Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:50 AM

49 posts, read 116,877 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a writer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated in my relocation endeavor would be greatly appreciated.

I am in dire need of a strong community that is humanitarian based. I believe this critical to my success.

That said, I need a location that offers: Reasonable rent, health food store and an abundance of nature. Note, I would also like access to a vibrant downtown area.

I feel drawn to Moscow...however, I 've never been. Please note, I have a cat. Her safety is paramount.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 10:54 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Moscow would be a good choice for you.
'Vibrant' has a different meaning here, but Moscow is a college town, an old one. So the youth culture is strong there, but in Idaho fashion.

Nothing in Idaho is very close to big-city living anywhere except Boise, which also may be a good choice if you want an urban lifestyle.

There are actually a lot of writers here. Some are very well known. If that's your profession, Boise would probably be the better choice.

Ketchum is where some of the best-selling authors choose to live, but life is expensive there and it's essentially a little town smack dab in mountain wilderness that's very close by. Full of rich folks, and finding a good job is difficult for most working folks. Ketchum is the home of Sun Valley, the famous ski resort. It's the home of several other resorts as well, so it's like Vail in many ways.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:42 AM

Default Thank you!

Thank you for responding to my post. Yes! Idaho seems to welcome writers. I can't wait....

Old 05-01-2017, 12:18 AM

Idaho isn't like Montana, where a lot of writers moved to be among other writers, but I know a couple of novelists who ended up here.

They moved here because they needed to get away to somewhere with no hustle-bustle and the distractions of the big cities so they could write in peace and quiet.

And be left alone so they could get some work done. Idahoans tend to ignore fame. A famous person doesn't get a bunch of hangers-on here like they do in other places.

If the writer is a nice person who gets along with the neighbors, we generally don't care how famous they may be somewhere else- they're just getting by and doing their job like the rest of us.

As long as they take us and where we're living for life as it is here, not where they came from. Those who come and expect to find all the big-city stuff have a harder time fitting in. That's why there are always a few movie stars, singers, etc. who come to live here. Those who adapt quickly to our laid-back ways always end up doing well. Those who don't adapt eventually go back to where they came from.

Hemingway was so famous that he was instantly recognized as soon as he arrived, but he was happy to stand in line at the grocery store and chat with the customer next to him, and he was soon just another guy in the neighborhood. It's all in the attitude a person brings with them.

Writers have a big advantage though- people generally know their names more than their faces. A writer can be very famous, but won't be spotted in a crowd like a movie star.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:22 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy2 View Post
.........I have a cat. Her safety is paramount..........
For your cat to be safe anywhere in Idaho, your cat will have to be a 100% indoor cat. All over Idaho, there are critters that will eat a house cat without the slightest twinge of guilt.

Your description of your desired place to live sounds like Ashland Oregon to me. Ashland is very long on artistic community and health food stores. Lots of Holistics and that sort of thing.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:43 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Sandpoint might work. More immediately surrounded by forest than Moscow. Smaller but the county has 40,000 some people. Has art / music, probably writers.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
For your cat to be safe anywhere in Idaho, your cat will have to be a 100% indoor cat. All over Idaho, there are critters that will eat a house cat without the slightest twinge of guilt.

Your description of your desired place to live sounds like Ashland Oregon to me. Ashland is very long on artistic community and health food stores. Lots of Holistics and that sort of thing.
Ashland is a good place for all that.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Thanking for responding. I am hoping to find a dwelling w/a kind of enclosed patio and/or backyard area. That said, I did not favor the climate in Oregon. It was very wet.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:46 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Boise sounds like a perfect match for you based on your criteria and Boise has a vibrant writing community.

You mentioned you were drawn to Moscow, so are you looking for a small town and is a city the size of Boise too large?

Here are a few links you might find interesting:

http://www.thecabinidaho.org/

http://www.idahowritersguild.com/

https://territory-mag.com/articles/a...se-and-poetry/

Last edited by Syringaloid; 05-02-2017 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: added links

Old 05-02-2017, 08:11 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy2 View Post
...I did not favor the climate in Oregon. It was very wet.
East of the Cascades is fairly arid or semi-arid. Nothing like Portland. Ashland is somewhere in the middle, just under 20" average of rainfall per year. The Moscow average is just over 27" per year.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho