Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 03:24 PM

820 posts, read 1,740,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngirlatheart View Post
We've been in Idaho for 6 years now, from the very northern tip of the state to Idaho Falls, and I still have yet to see anyone open carry, lol.
really? I have my own opinion about open carry but I see a lot recently, more often i remember. Its like the wild west. Saw 2 dudes with what looked like AR rifles on their backs walking down spokane st in post falls the other day. Kinda ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 05:56 PM

279 posts, read 486,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
really? I have my own opinion about open carry but I see a lot recently, more often i remember. Its like the wild west. Saw 2 dudes with what looked like AR rifles on their backs walking down spokane st in post falls the other day. Kinda ridiculous.
Yeah, that's a bit much.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:02 PM

25 posts, read 71,954 times
Thank you F5FStop. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:19 PM

17 posts, read 21,345 times
I was born and raised in the OC...Costa Mesa...went to college in San Jose then traveled around the US for several years before settling down in the inland Central Valley (about 40 min SW of Fresno). My husband is in the Ag industry, I am in healthcare and we are just done with CA. We decided last summer to make the jump and have visited Idaho 3 separate times since. Our focus has been either outside of Boise or Pocatello area, but on our last trip out over the 4th we took an impromptu trip up to CDA. We fell in love...loved the green...the water!....even our 11yo daughter wants to move there now. We are in a big pickle though, as my husband has a job offer waiting for him, but we would have to live somewhere along the southern belt (dairies). There are jobs for me anywhere.

I never got the Cali feeling from CDA. Definitely got the touristy vibe from the lake area. My sister's high school BF lives there and is a realtor...we hooked up with her and she offered to show us some houses for an afternoon. Went around Hayden Lake, and the Rathdrum/Hauser area...beautiful. Feels like being in the Sierras, but with everything you need minutes away.

Now just have to wait for our house to sell...

Old 07-25-2017, 07:13 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Open carry? Some people say they don't see it and some people say they see it a lot. Maybe the people who think it is OK don't really notice it enough to mark it ( as long as the gun carrier is acting in a normal manner) and the people who are freaked out about it notice and focus on every gun they see?

I know all policemen have a gun at their hip, but I don't really see it beyond seeing they are wearing a uniform and I don't go away thinking that the policeman was wearing a gun. Sort of like telephone poles. You know they are along every road, but you tune them out and they become unimportant in the landscape.

Years ago, every pickup had a gun rack and every gun rack was carrying a .22 rifle and a stock prod 100% of the time. There was so much of it, it just fades into the background. Of course, no one can do that now. Pickups aren't just for farmers any more and no one would dare to leave anything valuable in sight in a vehicle or it would get stolen, no matter how nice the neighborhood.

I've open carried and quite honestly, most people don't even see the gun. I'm sure gun people notice it but don't react and maybe one person out of two hundred would have a worried reaction strong enough to notice.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:13 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
Maybe, maybe not. I know I will notice it, and 90 percent of the time I will notice if you are carrying concealed since most will eventually print. As for cops, I always look to see that they are carrying..curiosity.

But if I see open carry it will never bother me; so long as it is not in their hand. Most people in western states don't appear to get disturbed with open carry. Now do it in a place like Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Moab UT, and watch the eyes grow from those from other countries or some of the noted anti-gun states in the USA.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:20 PM

Hey Amy-lou. I drove through Costa Mesa the last two days. I saw a few characters including one walking down the side walk wearing a bikini top and a skirt that was so low, the bikini bottom showed. Did I mention the person wearing this looked to be about 50 years old with chest hair because the person was a he. He was homeless and nutty based on his appearance and the fact he was talking to himself.

Idaho is great everywhere, but I think CDA can be something special and people keep telling me that. CDA was a last minute change in our travel plans because so many people told me I must go to CDA. I was not in CDA long enough to get a real good feel. Of course I spent some time in the tourist spot by CDA Lake so it was not the real feel. Many people have told me North of the freeway is the "real" CDA in the way of people living life and using the businesses that are not tourist traps, but for residents more than anything. It was great meeting a few locals, but I must go back to get a real feel or just move there. The scenery also reminded me of the Sierras of Big Bear for sure, but CDA was better in every aspect.

At F5fstop and Oregonwoodsmoke. I think you both make valid inferences on the open carry discussion. Interesting read.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:58 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,927,785 times
Beware of sky high price increase in the next few years as another wave of Californians and Washingtonians flock to Idaho Falls. Right now, Boise is getting the influx. Idaho Falls is next. Enjoy it while it lasts. Remember Portland, Ore: basement apartment rental rates back in the 90's?

Old 07-25-2017, 05:19 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Beware of sky high price increase in the next few years as another wave of Californians and Washingtonians flock to Idaho Falls. Right now, Boise is getting the influx. Idaho Falls is next. Enjoy it while it lasts. Remember Portland, Ore: basement apartment rental rates back in the 90's?
It may not happen as much as you think, as I.F. recovered from the Great Recession with a housing surplus and was already building lots of new homes before the next wave will roll in.

Idaho Falls has never been hit by the huge waves that affected CDA and Boise, but it has continued to grow steadily along with those other 2 cities without getting their attention. I'm sure it's day is coming, but there won't be a huge shortage of housing, I think.

All my life, the contractor's mentality has been different here. They have always build ahead of the curve. This has caused many of them to go broke, but it's also caused many to become very wealthy.

I.F. has always been speculative and full of risk-takers since its beginnings. This makes it different from all the others in southern Idaho.

I'm not boostering here- just facts.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:22 PM

Most people in SoCal when they think Idaho think Boise. A few people also think CDA. For Boise, they think Boise is a decently populated city. For CDA they think pretty trees and lakes. No one knows a thing about IF and the few that do know think the town is so small and full of Mormons so they have no interest. IF is a jewel and they are missing out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho