Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 11:14 AM

44 posts, read 43,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by username_already_taken View Post
Thank you for this in depth and very visually orientated description. Do you think it is possible that you're views on Coeur d'Alene or the Boise area were clouded based on you having very limited time there? My girlfriend and I (early 20's) want to move to Idaho and we are very attracted to CDL but worried about high prices for rentals. I see a huge selection of affordable places to rent in the Boise and IF areas but a much more limited selection in the CDL area. Finding a job won't be a problem for either of us but my worry is just selection of rental apartments/houses for under $800 a month.
I think rent can be had in the _area_ sub $800 and however in CdA proper rent may be higher.

As a reference at this current time.... We are in Post Falls (a true 15 minutes from downtown CdA) and are currently renting a brand new 2 bed room 1 bath apt with washer dryer, internet and covered parking for one car at $900 a month.

Being new to the area, I feel as if it is a new build market. The construction is nuts out here with prices higher towards CdA and Hayden. Neighborhoods on the prairie (west of CdA) that have cookie-cutter current style can be had from the 180s~$200s are possible. After our whirlwind tour last year, I feel as if homes are bit pricier here than Boise or IF per SqFt, but there were so many other benefits that dropped us here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 05:49 PM

21 posts, read 30,481 times
K-dog! Good news. We close on our property at the end of October. Freedom and Bonner county, here we come!

Old 09-24-2017, 09:55 PM

247 posts, read 196,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinlib1 View Post
K-dog! Good news. We close on our property at the end of October. Freedom and Bonner county, here we come!
Congrats!!! Keep Idaho conservative and Great!!! Leave all of the California there please!

Old 09-24-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagle Sam 2016 View Post
Congrats!!! Keep Idaho conservative and Great!!! Leave all of the California there please!
I'm from Texas and the wife is from Arizona so no California values or attitudes to leave behind and the rest of CA can stay and fall into the ocean as far as we are concerned. Maybe one day the State of Jefferson will become a reality for those who so desperately need/want it but we can't wait.
We were going to wait for the kids to get out of school for the year but if they get anymore of the indoctrination there may be no saving them. So we are leaving ASAP as it's time to get out. Kommiefornia was only a temporary place holder due to my job requirements. Now that the boss has given the green light to commute, we are gone!

Old 09-25-2017, 03:50 PM

247 posts, read 196,740 times
Quote:
I'm from Texas and the wife is from Arizona so no California values or attitudes to leave behind and the rest of CA can stay and fall into the ocean as far as we are concerned. Maybe one day the State of Jefferson will become a reality for those who so desperately need/want it but we can't wait.
We were going to wait for the kids to get out of school for the year but if they get anymore of the indoctrination there may be no saving them. So we are leaving ASAP as it's time to get out. Kommiefornia was only a temporary place holder due to my job requirements. Now that the boss has given the green light to commute, we are gone!
VERY smart move getting the kids outta there!

Old 09-25-2017, 04:12 PM

124 posts, read 233,190 times
From this post I am assuming you really don't like California?? lol

Good luck in Idaho!! Hope we can get there in the next year.

Quote:

Old 09-26-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbee78 View Post
From this post I am assuming you really don't like California?? lol

Good luck in Idaho!! Hope we can get there in the next year.

Honestly, if it were the same California that my parents lived in back in the day, it would be great but times and people have changed. Now they, the government in Sac, will come right out and tell you that they do not want the middle class. They would prefer the middle to leave so that the haves, can have the have nots, 100% dependent on them. Makes getting votes and money easier for the haves.

California is a beautiful state with perfect weather, beautiful mountains and of course the Pacific but its gone so far to the extreme left there is no room for those of us that are in the middle of the road politically.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:08 PM

21 posts, read 43,956 times
Oregon native here. Got stuck in Palm Springs good 10+ years ago and in 2 years when my step daughter graduates high school, I can FINALLY move. Oregon has gotten too expensive or its too wet where affordable or little too small. Bend was where I really wanted to be but its probably worse than Portland.
So for now Boise or CDA are on top of my list. I really want my 2 little ones to grow up in more family friendly towns and experience seasons besides hot and really hot.
My wife has her hair salon here in PS and I am a GC. Hoping the housing market stays strong for couple more years in PS and I can cash out and make 200k on my house to have a decent down payment on a new house and cushion for couple of years.
Next summer during summer vacation we will be making a trip up there to look at neighborhoods, to really get a feel for where we want to re locate.
Any tips on well established neighborhoods to look at or neighborhoods to stat away from are appreciated.
not stuck on Boise or CDA. But anywhere with in 30 min of the city is ok for me. Wife and I still need to work.

Last edited by AndrePDX; 10-01-2017 at 06:54 PM..

Old 10-01-2017, 06:28 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
To all, whether to the far left or the far right or somewhere in between, PLEASE leave your political baggage at home. If you are so fortunate to retire with a pension then realize that very few local Idahoans have anything remotely so comfy. So while you while have the chance to throw more weight around, don;'t give into that temptation or you are going to turn Idaho into a carbon copy of whether you are departing from.

Just indulge in what is here and do so with some humility. It ain't about you.

Idaho is at a crossroads, even up here in North Idaho. We have achieved a very fine balance precisely because the numbers have been so modest. But as things get more insane elsewhere and the bitterness increases, we have been importing more of that angst here.

Thanks.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:53 AM

21 posts, read 21,737 times
Hey hey, another native of OC looking to move to ID. My husband and I have been researching like crazy...loved your read btw...very informative and easy to follow. We have considered all areas but are limited to bigger city/towns due to my husbands line of work (Project manager for commercial construction) We are a single income family with 4 children ages from 2-12yrs....we have been very fortunate but, the reality of buying a home in OC is not realistic and the affordability has us struggling. We are outdoorsy and love to travel and camp. We've contemplated CDA, Hayden, and down south to Meridian. If we were to relocate to northern ID my husband would have to commute to Spokane and if we moved SW ID to Meridian...it seems there is more job opportunity for him. First and foremost....schools and education is the number 1 priority. I have done lots of research and it seems as though N. ID schools do not have high scores..some average and below average. However, Meridian/Eagle/Boise seem to have higher scores. We plan to come out during spring break to check out Meridian/Eagle/Boise. We are looking for a close net, family friendly, strong community, affordability, and safe area. Any insight will help. What was your favorite place that you visited and why? Where do you think you will move? I'm so ready to get out of commiefornia.....enough said.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dog View Post
Hey Banjo Mike. Thank you for your appreciative and kind words.

It was fun to write about the scouting trip/vacation we did as it was like re-living many aspects of the trip. So fun.

I uploaded additional photos to this website. City data updates every few months so all the cities we visited should have more photos. This includes more than just the traditional river or lake photos of the area.

Idaho will happen again for sure as I have a hard deadline of moving to Idaho by 2020 at the latest. Things are on track for a great transition as of now. When I am back in Idaho Falls I will be sure to give you a ring and we can tear up some back-road countryside for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho