Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 08:02 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
FYI. The "Continental United States" refer to the "lower 48", and does not include AK or HI. AK is the northwestern most state on the North America Continent.
Quote:
AK is the northwestern most state on the North America Continent.
Yes it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 08:24 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
It is a conundrum and always up for debate.

Boise is considered a Northwest city. "Northwest" is used in a lot of business names and media here. The Oregon state line is less than 60 miles from the city.

I've heard Idaho often referred to as the Inland Northwest.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:36 AM

448 posts, read 813,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
FYI. The "Continental United States" refer to the "lower 48", and does not include AK or HI. AK is the northwestern most state on the North America Continent.
I think you mean 'contiguous' not 'continental'. Alaska is 100% part of the continent of North America. Alaska is definitely a US state on the continent of North America.

The proper term is the "Contiguous United States" - referring to the 48 US states that share borders with each other. This accurately excludes Alaska and Hawaii.

I've never heard "Continental US" used to accurately describe the 49 US states on the continent - it's always a mixup with the term "Contiguous US".

Old 09-25-2017, 11:26 AM

448 posts, read 813,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho945 View Post
So what's your opinion?
It's both. I'm not sure that there are 'official' designations for states. The US has many agencies and they put Idaho into different groups.

US Census Bureau? Idaho is "West" along with 12 other states.
Office of Management and Budget? Idaho is paired up with Oregon, Washington, and Alaska.
Federal Reserve Bank? San Francisco
Time Zone? Both Pacific and Mountain.
etc...

Personally, I think both labels apply, especially depending on context. One of the biggest sticking point is going to be the definition used for "Pacific Northwest". It can be narrowly used to only describe the particular flora, weather, culture, etc. on the West sides of the Cascades. Yakima and Bend, therefore, aren't PNW cities. It can apply to a much broader region, like the historical "Oregon Country" before it was split between the UK and the US. IMO, it's the "Northwest" part that's important and I typically think of and prefer the broader usage of the term.

I don't think there's any argument that Idaho is also a Rocky Mountain state, given that the Rockies form part of Idaho's borders and Idaho contains sub-ranges of the Rocky Mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid
I've heard Idaho often referred to as the Inland Northwest.
The whole state? I've only seen North Idaho included in that term, which is centered on Spokane. I've only seen/heard it used to refer to Washington east of the Cascades and Idaho north of the Salmon River/Pacific Time Zone. Even then... it seems to me that some of the cities in that area prefer the term "Central Washington" vs Inland Northwest, so they don't identify with it very much.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:39 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
I think you mean 'contiguous' not 'continental'. Alaska is 100% part of the continent of North America. Alaska is definitely a US state on the continent of North America.

The proper term is the "Contiguous United States" - referring to the 48 US states that share borders with each other. This accurately excludes Alaska and Hawaii.

I've never heard "Continental US" used to accurately describe the 49 US states on the continent - it's always a mixup with the term "Contiguous US".
You are correct. I misspoke. Totally my screw-up. I indeed meant to write, "Contiguous United States". My apologies to AK76 and to others for the confusion.

However in my defense, as ShadoAngel says, I also have never heard reference to "Continental United States".

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 09-25-2017 at 02:07 PM..

Old 09-26-2017, 05:28 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Actually, showing my age. Continental used to refer to the lower 48 (Alaska was NOT a state until I was approx 12 years old so in grade school geography it was not a continental state) however, it does refer to anything part of the North American continent. So I was incorrect, I admit it, I will beat myself for one second with a feather if that is what some want. Therefore, let's move on to the OP's original subject. (But many still INCORRECTLY refer to the continental USA as the lower 48 so the mistake is common if not incorrect.)

And with the replies so far posted, the OP will not get satisfaction since the views here appear to be different from different points of view.

Again, like chevy vs. ford.

Now to go find a feather.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:53 AM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Default sports fans decide?

Which pro football team is more popular in Idaho -- Seahawks or Broncos?
Which baseball team -- Mariners or Rockies?

Old 09-26-2017, 11:00 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Which pro football team is more popular in Idaho -- Seahawks or Broncos?
Which baseball team -- Mariners or Rockies?
It's all about the Seahawks and Mariners up here in the north.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:09 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Center for the Study of the Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Put another way, the region came to be organized around a host of towns and cities such as Portland, Victoria, Tacoma, Seattle, Spokane, and Boise
Quote:
As extractive industries in the interior of the Pacific Northwest developed, Portland strengthened its leadership as the financial, commercial, and transportation center. For example, in the early 1860s prospectors struck gold and silver in Idaho, creating a rush to such places as the Clearwater and Boise river valleys.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:16 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
So, we are to base a region on pro sports teams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho