Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 11:51 AM

33 posts, read 45,895 times

Advertisements

I've been having a heated debate with a friend and want some outside input on a debate that is as old as Idaho itself: is Idaho part of the Northwest or the Rocky Mountain states? It lies in a convergence of 3 major regions; the extreme northern tip of the desert southwest (since Nevada is a mere hour drive away from some cities), the Boise foothills slowly give way to the Rocky Mountains in the not too distant border with Montana, however touching Washington and Oregon kinda puts it in the eastern reaches of the Pacific Northwest. I hear Intermountain mentioned a lot, but that's not technically a true region of North America. So what's your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 12:10 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
In my opinion, the Pacific Northwest is Washington, idaho, and Oregon.

While Alaska is in the Northwest and on the Pacific, it is "Alaska" not "the Pacific Northwest"

I don't think you are going to get a definitive settlement of the debate.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:43 PM

6 posts, read 16,070 times
It's hard to really put it solidly in either considering how different North Idaho is from the southern part of the state. North Idaho is definitely PNW, but I'd almost call the southern part north Nevada.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:42 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
For me if it says PACIFIC NW states I would say WA/OR since they are the northwestern most state in the continental USA and actually touch on the Pacific Ocean, and ID was a Rocky Mountain state. And that is what I was taught when in school be in right or wrong.

If you are discussing the PW Northwest region that would be WA/OR/ID/WY and MT.

However, as with Chevy vs. Ford vs. RAM everyone will have their own interpretations. And does it really make a difference?

Old 09-24-2017, 05:25 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
In northern Idaho and eastern Washington we usually tend to call ourselves the inland northwest.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:06 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
I'm not sure if my opinion counts as someone who is from Upstate NY originally and has lived in various parts of the Midwest and now currently in NW Pennsylvania.

But--

Idaho is technically part of the Pacific Northwest region. It's also "out West" to us who live east of the Mississippi.

I've also always considered it a Rocky Mountain state because it's within the range and so much of the state is mountainous. Also, the term "Pacific Northwest" tends to conjure up a certain cultural feel in my mind that is more associated with Oregon, Washington, and California.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:12 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I'm not sure if my opinion counts as someone who is from Upstate NY originally and has lived in various parts of the Midwest and now currently in NW Pennsylvania.

But--

Idaho is technically part of the Pacific Northwest region. It's also "out West" to us who live east of the Mississippi.

I've also always considered it a Rocky Mountain state because it's within the range and so much of the state is mountainous. Also, the term "Pacific Northwest" tends to conjure up a certain cultural feel in my mind that is more associated with Oregon, Washington, and California.
A huge portion of Washington and Oregon is actually desert and very conservative. They are very diverse states geographically and culturally.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:49 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
It is both. Idaho is the western slope of the Great Divide, so it's a Rocky Mountain state. At the same time, it could be considered to be the easternmost state of the Pacific northwest region.

Why should Idaho be included in the Pacific northwest? Because our climate comes from the Pacific and our major waters all drain to the Pacific from the Divide.

I believe the regional map above to be inaccurate; Montana and Wyoming are better described as being part of the North Central Great Plains than the Pacific northwest. Both are essentially plains states, except at their extreme western boundaries, and neither gets its climate from the Pacific.

But I also believe that the Intermountain West should be considered a region all its own, and is not shown on that map.

To my thinking, the Intermountain West are the states that contain the Great Divide, a geographical feature as important as the Great Plains the Pacific coast, the Midwestern plains, or any other major geography.

Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado should all be considered as the Intermountain West first, instead of being broken up the way they are on that regional map.

They all share more similarity with each other than they do their respective regions on that map.

The Intermountain West is all higher terrain, much more mountainous, and originates almost all the headwaters of the west and midwest. All these states share similar geography, age of settlement, immigration patterns, and all are timbered similarly. The timber itself is essentially all its own, as are its wildlife.

All have large mineral deposits, and other features that are not found elsewhere. And all share similar culture that is largely different from the regions they are now parts of.

It's understandable why the Pacific Northwest Region on the map above exists, but those boundaries are artificial and are only for convenience.

Last edited by banjomike; 09-24-2017 at 10:00 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 07:26 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
For me if it says PACIFIC NW states I would say WA/OR since they are the northwestern most state in the continental USA and actually touch on the Pacific Ocean, and ID was a Rocky Mountain state. And that is what I was taught when in school be in right or wrong.

If you are discussing the PW Northwest region that would be WA/OR/ID/WY and MT.

However, as with Chevy vs. Ford vs. RAM everyone will have their own interpretations. And does it really make a difference?
Incorrect, Alaska is the northwestern most state in the continental U.S. Perhaps your intent was to use the term contiguous in your statement?

Old 09-25-2017, 07:56 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Incorrect, Alaska is the northwestern most state in the continental U.S. Perhaps your intent was to use the term contiguous in your statement?
FYI. The "Continental United States" refer to the "lower 48", and does not include AK or HI. AK is the northwestern most state on the North America Continent.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho