Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 05:49 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Jewels abound. I hope f5 is kind enough to post a few of his wonderful photos, just to show Old Mother Idaho off a little. She's old, but she's a good looker for sure! This is the best time and best place for a road trip. I may take some photos, but I'm nowhere as good as f5; that guy has the eye.
As we discussed yesterday, I have not been really active in photography for years. And, as much as I hate to say it, I don't have that many photos of ID. Not that it is not beautiful land deserves photos, it is just that I take very few. As I said in the past few years when camping, I leave my Nikons in the camera bag.

I have hundreds of NY, TN, NC, UT, and quite a few in WY/MT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 08:26 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Took this yesterday, (apologies for the cruddy cell phone snap). The barn at White Springs Ranch visible from the 95 on the Palouse a few miles north of Lewiston. The ranch is a museum, but wasn't open yesterday; only Sunday and Tuesday afternoons.

- - -

Uugh! Photo "went away". It displayed okay this morning. I'll have to find another hosting service other than photobucket. Sorry all.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 10-29-2017 at 08:32 PM..

Old 10-29-2017, 10:55 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
That's a nice photo.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:21 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Outback's are awesome! I'm on my 3rd Outback from trading up for newer models. I read somewhere that they are Idaho's state car, they are definitely a symbol of Boise.
It's always nice to be up in the mountains Subaruing and seeing fellow Subies.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:28 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Here's a source

The Unofficial State Cars of America

"In Idaho, the Subaru Outback sells at 275 percent of the national average".

My Outback will sometimes pose for a photograph. Here is one I shot earlier this year in the South Fork of the Boise River Canyon which is about 45 minutes NE of Boise.

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 10-29-2017 at 03:38 PM..

Old 10-29-2017, 03:58 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Here's a source

The Unofficial State Cars of America

"In Idaho, the Subaru Outback sells at 275 percent of the national average".

My Outback will sometimes pose for a photograph. Here is one I shot earlier this year in the South Fork of the Boise River Canyon which is about 45 minutes NE of Boise.
There are a lot of similar cars, but I was no stranger to the Subaru; my sis-in-law is driving her #3, her daughter is on #2, and I've been driving other people's Subies ever since the late 70s. Their durability and ability are legendary in the mountain states of the west.

They hold their retail value very well in Idaho. It was one of the reasons why I chose mine. A local dealership was another big reason- the dealership here has been selling them forever, and their shop knows everything about them.

After reading that list you posted, I noticed there were several Subaru models that were state faves. I did a lot of studying before I jumped, and found the Subaru and the Volvo were tied in most of the 10 Best lists, but a Volvo costs almost twice what the Subaru does, with comparable features. The Volvos were also state faves on that list, probably due to their reputation for durability.

But the brand had some engine problems for a few years in the late 90s-early 2000s. They have been long corrected now.

Volo mentioned he felt closed-in in one during a test drive, but it was the opposite for me; I found I could see out in all directions better in it than my previous car, even though the Cooper had really good visibility too. With the sunroof cover open, it's almost like a convertible to me.

I'll pack a camera when I go on my first cruise, and take some scenery shots. The weather right now is exceptionally warm and clear, so I hope to get one or two that are good.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:41 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:

Volo mentioned he felt closed-in in one during a test drive, but it was the opposite for me; I found I could see out in all directions better in it than my previous car, even though the Cooper had really good visibility too. With the sunroof cover open, it's almost like a convertible to me...
When I test drove that one last week, I paid attention to why I had the 'closed in' feeling. I think is was because the steering wheel is thick and close to me; the left arm rest is pretty substantial and sticks out a bit, (which actually is a good feature), and that the center console right next to the right knee goes straight down from the dash to the floor, (I can't 'swing' my knee out wide). On my RAV4, that dash/console part does not exist, (it's a little cubby to put 'stuff'), the arm rest is tiny and a joke, and the steering wheel doesn't seem to 'be in my face'.

I'm not saying that it is 'bad'. If I got an Outback, I'm sure I'd get used to it in short order. I'm glad they solved their oil leak issue. When the RAV wears out, if it ever does, I'll take another serious look at the Outback. That eagle-eye thingy is pretty awesome and that alone makes the car worth owning.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-29-2017, 11:59 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
It's late October, one of my most favorite times of the year, and there's a big old high pressure cell hanging around in the sky straight above my head that has driven all clouds out of the sky.

It's going to be cold tonight, and the air will be so clear I would be able to find my way in the darkness with just the light from the milky way and the stars overhead if I was up in the mountains.

And tomorrow, I'm going to pick up a new rig I just bought, and it will be good to get me up there in the mountains to see the stars tomorrow night. My daughter is here visiting, and she hasn't seen the stars for many years, ever since she moved away.

She forgot how bright the stars are here. But she'll remember how bright they are when she sees them again. On a night this clear, the stars can leave a shadow, sometimes, when the air grows cold enough.

I'll take her with me.

Life is good.
nice. I hope you had a good one!

Old 11-03-2017, 10:26 AM

349 posts, read 1,040,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
How's the headroom? My big boy tends to like to sit up....

I'm sure they will supply the dog farts with smiles on their faces.
They are beautiful!

Old 11-03-2017, 10:30 AM

349 posts, read 1,040,488 times
Getting another SUV in the spring, have any of you had the Subaru Crosstrek? It's on my short list but wasn't sure the capability,also I drive thru Montana to go to Salmon every summer to visit family and with the speed limit in Montana was hoping it had enough pep for the mountains and for passing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho