Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:24 PM

9 posts, read 48,803 times

Advertisements

Just registered on this forum today to start my research on the CDA area. Thinking of possibly moving to CDA to raise our kids. Want to start researching here before making the trip to visit CDA.

It would be a huge help to hear some current CDA feedback (both PROS and CONS) from those of you who actually live in the CDA area.

We are looking for a safe community, traditional family values, good schools and friendly people.

A little about our background. I work from home, wife is a veterinarian and we have a 2 and a 4 year old. In to the outdoors. Fishing, golfing, hiking etc...

Our budget to spend on a home is 450k or less. Need guest house or attached granny unit for elderly parents too.

Thanks for any information you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 02:32 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Welcome to the forum, and City-Data! You're in for a treat, if you're willing to do a little research on your own. We have lots of threads discussing the issues you're interested in, even recently, so if you just scroll down "Page 1" and go into "Page 2" you should see several threads about CdA. And you can use the Search function for specific subjects.

You're not saying anything about the climate you're looking for/willing to put up with, and what you're familiar with. That may be a good place to start.

When are you planning to come out for your first visit?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:48 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Welcome to the forum, and City-Data! You're in for a treat, if you're willing to do a little research on your own. We have lots of threads discussing the issues you're interested in, even recently, so if you just scroll down "Page 1" and go into "Page 2" you should see several threads about CdA. And you can use the Search function for specific subjects.

You're not saying anything about the climate you're looking for/willing to put up with, and what you're familiar with. That may be a good place to start.

Well, CFF took the words right out of my mouth. LOTS of good info with some time spent searching, or just reading down some pages of threads here. (Good work, CFF!)

Knowing where you're coming FROM helps us give you more relevants input. If you're moving here from Chicago, IL we're going to have different input than if you're coming from Newport Beach, CA.

But..."safe community, traditional family values, good schools and friendly people". Check, check, check (although it's a relative term, and some will disagree...we homeschool so it doesn't affect us but we hear most of our friends like the schools), and check.
"Fishing, golfing, hiking". It's a sportsmans paradise here, but golfing won't be as good as a lot of areas you may possibly be moving from, depending...but much better than others.

And $450k for a house? Yeah, you're good. That puts you in a very good spot for having quite a lot of selection at the moment, since houses here start under $200k.

What CFF said about the weather is the $64,000 question. A LOT of people can't hack the winters. We hate the heat and love snow (not the ice...but snow and winter sports). So we love it here.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:16 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,886 times
Looks to me like CDA meets or exceeds all of you basic criteria. Search "Coeur d'Alene" in this amazing Forum for answers to a lot of your questions.

CCF and Sage talked about the weather. Yeah, it snows here. Every once in a while, we have a rough winter....but most winters are not that bad. If you ski or snowboard or tube or if snowmobiling is in your blood, you'll like the winters a lot! I look forward to winter. I'm too old now for those strenuous activities, but I still make a pretty fair snow angel....

Mother Nature is kind to us in other ways, though. If you don't like hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, and so on, you'll find CDA to your liking for sure.

To the Golfer: Like most areas, CDA features a variety of golf venues ranging from flat, wide and simple to complex and challenging. The most famous in and around CDA is the course at the Coeur d'Alene Resort. See: Golf : Discover : Coeur d'Alene Resort

To the Mrs: We love our animals and we want them cared for properly. We're always looking for a good vet. Looks to me like you'd fit right in....and, when you visit the Coeur d'Alene Resort - Beverly's - their fine restaurant - is a wonderful spot for dinner.

You have to come to see the area. You can read all about it here on the Forum. Come for a visit and talk to the people on the ground. That's the acid test. If you're like most folks, you'll "feel" CDA when you visit. I think you'll like the feeling.

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 07-04-2013, 08:44 AM

294 posts, read 544,647 times
Best feature of cda - people are laid back.
Worst feature of cda - people are laid back.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post

Well how long is an average winter in CDA? First snow and last snow? Will be coming up there within the next month. We are in Fresno, CA. on the face of the sun and dirty air. 109 here today :-)

Old 07-04-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Well, CFF took the words right out of my mouth. LOTS of good info with some time spent searching, or just reading down some pages of threads here. (Good work, CFF!)

Knowing where you're coming FROM helps us give you more relevants input. If you're moving here from Chicago, IL we're going to have different input than if you're coming from Newport Beach, CA.

But..."safe community, traditional family values, good schools and friendly people". Check, check, check (although it's a relative term, and some will disagree...we homeschool so it doesn't affect us but we hear most of our friends like the schools), and check.
"Fishing, golfing, hiking". It's a sportsmans paradise here, but golfing won't be as good as a lot of areas you may possibly be moving from, depending...but much better than others.

And $450k for a house? Yeah, you're good. That puts you in a very good spot for having quite a lot of selection at the moment, since houses here start under $200k.

What CFF said about the weather is the $64,000 question. A LOT of people can't hack the winters. We hate the heat and love snow (not the ice...but snow and winter sports). So we love it here.
Thanks Sage. We are from Fresno, CA. in the central valley. 109 here today and unhealthy air quality. A LOT of people can't hack the CDA winters? What is a typical winter like? Can you still get around in your 4X4?

Old 07-04-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimit2 View Post
Looks to me like CDA meets or exceeds all of you basic criteria. Search "Coeur d'Alene" in this amazing Forum for answers to a lot of your questions.

CCF and Sage talked about the weather. Yeah, it snows here. Every once in a while, we have a rough winter....but most winters are not that bad. If you ski or snowboard or tube or if snowmobiling is in your blood, you'll like the winters a lot! I look forward to winter. I'm too old now for those strenuous activities, but I still make a pretty fair snow angel....

Mother Nature is kind to us in other ways, though. If you don't like hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, and so on, you'll find CDA to your liking for sure.

To the Golfer: Like most areas, CDA features a variety of golf venues ranging from flat, wide and simple to complex and challenging. The most famous in and around CDA is the course at the Coeur d'Alene Resort. See: Golf : Discover : Coeur d'Alene Resort

To the Mrs: We love our animals and we want them cared for properly. We're always looking for a good vet. Looks to me like you'd fit right in....and, when you visit the Coeur d'Alene Resort - Beverly's - their fine restaurant - is a wonderful spot for dinner.

You have to come to see the area. You can read all about it here on the Forum. Come for a visit and talk to the people on the ground. That's the acid test. If you're like most folks, you'll "feel" CDA when you visit. I think you'll like the feeling.

pimit2 (Bob)
Planning a visit in the next month to get the feel Bob. Thanks!

Old 07-04-2013, 01:59 PM

Question....are Post Falls, CDA and Hayden all really on big town? My real estate listings I received in a CDA search included these areas. How far are these 3 from let's say....the Costco?

Old 07-04-2013, 02:00 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times
FamilyLooking, Idaho IS a great place and I am thrilled you are going to come up and visit, look around and get a feel for the area. Now that we know where you live, many friendly Idaho posters here are going to give you a lot of similar advice, which is come and visit in the winter before you make a decision.

It's not that Coeur d'Alene doesn't want you, but we have seen over and over again people making their decision to move based a summer visit experience. Then we watch the mass exodus back to warmer climates as soon as things thaw out (which sometimes isn't until May). Snow in June isn't unheard of. There is a reason the population of the area is small. Yes, you can get around in your 4x4 - there are lots of them on the road, but there loads of people who drive in the snow without four wheel drive. They are skilled snow drivers (me!).

If, after a visit during our cold season, you can still hack it then you could probably make a great life in North Idaho. It is a wonderful place. I wish you well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho