Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 10:57 AM

551 posts, read 799,431 times

Advertisements

Supposed to get a bit more tonight but I think it's too early to last.
Attached Thumbnails
First Snow in NID-img_4640.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 01:15 PM

29,179 posts, read 22,181,469 times
One never knows this time of year.
I was going to road trip over to Bozeman today, but heard there's 7 inches, horizontal snow, and wrecks galore on the Bozeman pass today.

I can' think of better things to do that sit in a mile-long line of cars waiting for hours while the wreckers are pulling the wrecks out of the middle of the road, so I decided to stay home. Maybe tomorrow.

That's life in Idaho in November. Tomorrow it might be 57 and sunny, or 27 and stormy. Keeps life interesting, though...

Old 11-02-2017, 02:22 PM

32,509 posts, read 47,521,327 times
Snow in Rathdrum but it didn't stick.

Is it time to rush to the market to buy bread and milk?

Old 11-02-2017, 03:08 PM

80 posts, read 93,596 times
Banjomike,

If you were heading to Bozeman then you would not go over Bozeman pass since that is East of town. Did you mean to write Lookout Pass? Just curious if those conditions you wrote about were on Lookout. Thanks

Old 11-02-2017, 04:02 PM

6,334 posts, read 7,687,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Is it time to rush to the market to buy bread and milk?
Makes me wonder. I just returned from Fred Meyers to pick up a few thing, (bread, lettuce, and sodas). Can't remember ever seeing the store so busy, and this was in the middle of a work day. Maybe people are doing what you're asking. The forecast is no secret.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-02-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy15 View Post
Banjomike,

If you were heading to Bozeman then you would not go over Bozeman pass since that is East of town. Did you mean to write Lookout Pass? Just curious if those conditions you wrote about were on Lookout. Thanks
Actually I planned to visit Bozeman and Livingston.
You're correct; the pass lies to the east of Bozeman, and Livingston is on the other side of the hill, with the pass in the middle.

When the winter is bad in either town, the pass is always worse than either. It's notorious.

Can't say how it was on Lookout. I planned to go to Boze via the Raynolds Pass which lies west of West Yellowstone, just over the state line from Henry's Lake. The Raynolds pass tends to be windy, which can be good in a blizzard, as the road scours bare with the wind there, instead of piling up on the roadway.

That pass can be very icy, but the grade is gentle, so the going may be slow, but the vehicle is under better control.

In the winter, any headway is headway to me; I would rather take it sure and steady than end up going too fast and getting buried to the windshield after the car skids off the road. Been in both, and prefer the first.

I once drove from Bozeman to Idaho Falls never going faster than 30 mph in the teeth of a blizzard. In a rental truck with bald tires. That one was both slow and scary.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:13 AM

7,347 posts, read 12,577,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
Supposed to get a bit more tonight but I think it's too early to last.
Thanks for the pic! It looks just like our property behind our house, so I'll just imagine it's a postcard from home...

Old 11-03-2017, 11:15 AM

349 posts, read 1,036,042 times
Whitebird on 95 has a lot of snow on it near Cottonwood, saying delays for multiple crashes. Time to put winter driving skills back on.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:51 PM

Everybody always forgets how to drive after the first big snowstorm. Driving on slick roads seems to demand yearly re-learning.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:22 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,781,838 times
Yes we need to be prepared for people who have forgotten how to drive since last winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho