Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 09:46 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times

Advertisements

In the shop just sold, the only heat was a propane salamander, used only when the family mechanic was working on the cars.

When I had a well pump, that had a heat lamp on a thermostat.

The new house is on the gas mains, so there will be a ceiling mounted gas furnace set to keep the temp just above freezing. We have a really good woodstove and 3 acres of forest desperately in need of thinning, so there will be a woodstove when warmer temperatures are wanted in the shop.

Because heat rises and the shop is really tall, I want a good ceiling fan in the shop to circulate the heat.

The family mechanic hasn't thought about hot weather. I guess I should mention that. Maybe he would want a heat pump with AC instead of a gas heater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 11:26 AM

134 posts, read 245,910 times
Don't really need to heat the whole building,
so I partitioned off an 8'x14' area in the
back which I insulated walls and ceiling.
Portable propane heater heats it up
fast and doesn't cost much to run.
I just crack the window for fresh air intake.
Cozy place to tinker with stuff, drink
beer, and watch some football games.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:41 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
We have a 35x35 shop with a concrete floor. The primary heat is one of those ceiling mounted propane heaters. We also have a full bath in the shop, which is where the pressure tank for our well sits. The
bathroom is heated with a small wall mounted electric heater.

Generally, I leave the electric heater on its lowest setting all winter. The propane heater is usually off unless I am working in there. The shop heats up nicely in 15-20 minutes unless it's bitterly cold. The primary use is as a woodworking shop, so sometimes if I'm working on putting finish on a project and want my materials at a decent temperature I'll leave the heat on full time.

There is also a wood stove in the shop. You might check with your homeowners insurance about their policy on wood stoves in unoccupied buildings. State Farm will not insure them. The risk they are concerned about is the potential mix of an open fire with combustibles.

Radiant floor heating would be a real luxury (we have it in our house), but it would be costly for a secondary building.

Dave
We have a pellet stove in our shop and it's covered by our policy with State Farm. We checked before adding it.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:45 PM

524 posts, read 574,103 times
We use a mini split system, because we also needed AC in the summer.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:05 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
We have a pellet stove in our shop and it's covered by our policy with State Farm. We checked before adding it.
In 2013 they would not cover my shop with a wood stove. They wouldn't even let me leave that building off the policy, which I would have been willing to do.

Dave

Old 11-11-2017, 07:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta_Here View Post
The shop in our new house has a ceiling mounted propane heater. I plan to replace that with a catalytic heater.

A ceiling mounted unit only heats the area above it (heat rises). ....
Last I checked (Code and insurance)

Any area / space storing / housing autos / potential for fumes running along the floor... heaters MUST be ceiling mounted (or above 5', due to open flame as per Gas)

Old 11-11-2017, 09:31 PM

100 posts, read 143,497 times
The cat will be mounted in the same place the ceiling mounted heater is now. Hanging from the roof joists.

We did the same thing in the warehouse. Cat was mounted at the same height as the previous heater.

You may be thinking of the small cats on top of a small propane tank.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta_Here View Post
The cat will be mounted in the same place the ceiling mounted heater is now. Hanging from the roof joists.

We did the same thing in the warehouse. Cat was mounted at the same height as the previous heater.

Good to hear and advise (you never know who is reading), and the subject drifted to heating office / and heat rising... not everyone is cautious that fumes drift along the floor... till they find an ignition source... pilot light.

be safe, don’t burn down you treasures! An ID Natural Hot spring is a Great ‘safe’ heat source, for a shop

Old 11-11-2017, 10:21 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
What great ideas!

Would those outdoor restaurant heaters that they now sell at Costco be helpful, or is the area they heat too small?

I have a large shop, so just curious.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:38 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Pellet stove
Me, too. The pellets store just fine in the off-season and that's safer and cheaper than kerosene or propane heatings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho