Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 12:07 PM

37 posts, read 59,173 times

Advertisements

I moved to Seattle some time ago and I would like to explore more of the PNW. I am off Christmas week and was thinking of driving to Idaho with my wife and five year old son? Not looking to ski, but wouldn't be opposed to a ski town with other stuff to do. Basically just looking to do some sightseeing with a good place to stay. Any recommendations? Boise? Coeur d'Alene? Pocatello?

Thank you

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 01:11 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,769,080 times
To minimize drive time and stick mainly to interstate, I might suggest Coeur d'Alene
or Sandpoint. Check on accommodations now. Probably can get something alright but some places may be booked up.

It sort of depends if you are ok doing stuff outside in the 30s, 20s or less.

Might also consider Leavenworth or Chelan WA as stops along way or closer alternatives.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:36 PM

39,843 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Christmas week is tough-roads can be great or they can be a nightmare, especially over the pass. Shortest days of the year (today actually-so glad they will be getting longer) and all too often overcast. CDA does a nice job of putting on a Christmas light display. You might look at the CDA resorts boat tour if you make it over, as well as check out the eagles-a bunch stop off in CDA around the end of the year. If you make the trip, I hope you get some nice, sunny weather. It's pretty spectacular around here on a sunny day after a fresh snowfall.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:04 AM

7,377 posts, read 12,657,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Christmas week is tough-roads can be great or they can be a nightmare, especially over the pass. Shortest days of the year (today actually-so glad they will be getting longer) and all too often overcast. CDA does a nice job of putting on a Christmas light display. You might look at the CDA resorts boat tour if you make it over, as well as check out the eagles-a bunch stop off in CDA around the end of the year. If you make the trip, I hope you get some nice, sunny weather. It's pretty spectacular around here on a sunny day after a fresh snowfall.
I was going to suggest the eagles watch on Lake CdA, too. So I googled it, and here's today's news!
The Coeur d'Alene Press - Local News, A sky full of eagles
Quote:
Carrie Hugo, wildlife biologist with the Bureau of Land Management office in Coeur d’Alene, counted 383 bald eagles Wednesday afternoon on the east side of the lake.
Hugo spotted 326 adults, 56 juveniles and one of undetermined age.
This is the highest number of the birds the BLM has counted since it began conducting annual migration counts.
The surging temporary eagle population continues as the BLM is set to kick off its annual Eagle Watch Week at recreation sites along the east end of Lake Coeur d’Alene.
Beginning Wednesday, Dec. 27, the five-day event is held in partnership with Idaho Fish and Game and has become a popular holiday week activity in North Idaho.

From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day — except for an early 2 p.m. closing on Dec. 31 — members of the public can also enjoy the use of high-powered spotting scopes, view mounted specimens and learn interesting details related to the lifestyles of our magnificent national symbol.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:36 PM

134 posts, read 245,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROYALS View Post
I moved to Seattle some time ago and I would like to explore more of the PNW. I am off Christmas week and was thinking of driving to Idaho with my wife and five year old son? Not looking to ski, but wouldn't be opposed to a ski town with other stuff to do. Basically just looking to do some sightseeing with a good place to stay. Any recommendations? Boise? Coeur d'Alene? Pocatello?

Thank you

Matt
McCall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho