Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,301 times

Advertisements

My husband might be relocating there for work. This place seems like our absolute dream. Outdoor activities
4 seasons.... Plus so much more. I'm always skeptical of. Moving anywhere because I have 2 small boys. I want them to grow up in a safe place. I've seen such different reviews on the crime Rate. I would like for someone to please give me some info if possible.
Thx again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 05:31 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
Default Coeur d'Alene

We are barely into 2018, so too soon to know what this year will bring. Latest stats are for 2016 and shows a slight overall downward trend. Some categories are more, some less. Still less than the national average. An article in the local paper the other day intimated that a significant proportion of crime is spillover from across the state border. Most crime seem to have a connection to illegal drugs.

//www.city-data.com/city/Coeur-d-Alene-Idaho.html

Post Falls shows a much lower rate.

//www.city-data.com/city/Post-Falls-Idaho.html

As does Rathdrum.

//www.city-data.com/city/Rathdrum-Idaho.html

No C-D stats for Hayden, but I suspect it to be less than CdA and on par with PF and Rathdrum. Haven't mapped it personally, but it's a pretty safe bet that the further away from the freeway and the "low rent district", the lower the crime rate will be.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 02-21-2018 at 05:40 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 09:25 PM

67 posts, read 90,125 times
I would like to clarify that 4 seasons does not mean 4 “equal” seasons. Be prepared for cold. But, yes, lots of outdoor activities are possible if you are open to all types of weather.

I do think crime seems high here for the size of the town. Since I have lived here 20 years I have seen high profile crimes like the Groene kidnappings to the police shootings. On the lower end of things, mail and package theft seemed huge the last few years. Traffic fatalities are common. The communities of cda, hayden, post falls, and rathdrum are all so close that a crime in one is felt in all.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:36 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenjoyce197 View Post
My husband might be relocating there for work. This place seems like our absolute dream. Outdoor activities
4 seasons.... Plus so much more. I'm always skeptical of. Moving anywhere because I have 2 small boys. I want them to grow up in a safe place. I've seen such different reviews on the crime Rate. I would like for someone to please give me some info if possible.
Thx again
Coeur d'Alene has a very low crime rate. CdA definitely has a prominent winter although it may seem mild if you come from the Midwest.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:26 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Welcome to the Idaho Forum, and to C-D! The issue of the CdA crime rate has come up before in this forum, and you may want to do a search and look at previous posts. It has a lot to do with the reporting of crimes, which apparently is high in CdA. So it doesn't necessarily mean that there is more crime in CdA than in a place with a lower crime rate.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:07 PM

Today’s cda Press.com has two of the top three stories related to adult/child sex crimes.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:42 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmmhc View Post
Today’s cda Press.com has two of the top three stories related to adult/child sex crimes.
The rate of reporting these crimes has gone way up over the past decade and a half.

The reportage doesn't really change the actual increase of child sex abuse, though. Earlier, through most of my life here, there was no reportage at all of any sex crime, but it most certainly existed.

This was mostly due to our small population and the fear of lasting scandal and the damage it could do to the victims. Once the citizens began to realize the shrouding helped the perpetrators more than the victims, that attitude began to rapidly change.

So now, the prevailing thought is to out the perps, remove their anonymity, and make them known, wherever they are. This offers more protection for both the criminal's former victims, and reduces the chances he will find new victims in the future.

I see it as a good thing. Reports show the law enforcement is alert and aggressive toward these crimes, and the blame is going where it should go- on the head of the offender, not the victims.

The old silence may have made Idaho look all is peaceful and safe, but i well remember when I was growing up here what damage came from this silence.

The kids always learned about another kid who was abused sexually, and I knew several. None of them ever recovered very well, as they were the ones who were continually shamed and blamed the most. I'm glad those days are over.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:54 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmmhc View Post
That's a good thing. No one knows just how much sex abuse went on when it was never reported. The courts commonly threw a blanket over any case that was investigated, but that practice actually helped the criminal more than the victim.

Reportage shows law enforcement is alert, active, and aggressive toward these crimes now, and it exposes the criminal while protecting the victim. That's how it always should have been.

But does that mean the crime never existed here before? No. And no one will ever know just how widespread it was in the past. But now that reportage has changed, in time meaningful statistics can now be gathered.

If I had young children, I sure would appreciate knowing they were safe from an abuser whose name and face is known to our schools, coaches, and the others who are responsible for my kids when they are not with me.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:07 PM

I suppose crime levels are all relative to what you are used to. My family lives in Oregon and watches Spokane news alongside visits to me in cda. They feel this area has a lot of crime compared to Oregon, even the Portland area. It does seem like we have more than we should.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:42 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Look up "section 8" or "low income housing" in CDA. That is where you'll find crime concentrated in CDA. Overall though it's still very low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho