Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 06:58 PM

274 posts, read 318,392 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've read some comments on here and heard from some folks that internet service can range from terrible to nonexistent in many parts of CDA. Are there really no good options or good ways to tell if a potential area would have reasonable service?

I would be working from home so while I wouldn't need blazing speeds, data caps definitely would be an issue sending and receiving emails and large attachments all day long.

We're so far focused on the areas south of town (Cougar Gulch, Mullan Trail, Fernan Lake areas) for ease of commute reasons for my wife, but have heard that this area in particular can be difficult to get reasonable internet service. Is satellite not even an option?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 07:44 PM

67 posts, read 90,164 times
Yes. It is that bad, akin to dial up at times. Changes depending on where you are. I don’t even have T-Mobile cell service around Riverstone. When I go out of state I am amazed at the instant click speeds. When you call the internet providers here, they tell you to just buy the lowest level because the lines do not support the speeds of the higher packages and you are wasting money.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:48 PM

Just did a speed test here at the Kroc Center, Download 4.40 mbps, Upload 1.69 mbps

Old 04-18-2018, 08:40 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
Satellite Internet from one supplier or another is available everywhere in north Idaho. You may or may not be happy with that level of performance. The last time I checked ViaSat's Excede (sp?) wasn't available here, but DishNet and HughesNet are available.

Dave

Old 04-18-2018, 09:31 PM

274 posts, read 318,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Satellite Internet from one supplier or another is available everywhere in north Idaho. You may or may not be happy with that level of performance. The last time I checked ViaSat's Excede (sp?) wasn't available here, but DishNet and HughesNet are available.

Dave
Thanks! One person I was talking to said that levels of service could depend on your location and look angle in relation to the local mountains. I had assumed they were referring to satellite availability, but I'm not sure how things are set up there, i suppose they could have been referring to having a wireless link to a tower up on a mountain which would then plug you into the terrestrial network.

What's the scoop on why the terrestrial service is subpar? Seems like almost everywhere, even much smaller and more remote areas than CDA nowadays have a lot of fiber run every which way into the big ISPs. Is is something unique to the terrain or location that is a limiting factor in getting a bigger pipe to an ISP?

Old 04-18-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockzilla View Post
What's the scoop on why the terrestrial service is subpar? Seems like almost everywhere, even much smaller and more remote areas than CDA nowadays have a lot of fiber run every which way into the big ISPs. Is is something unique to the terrain or location that is a limiting factor in getting a bigger pipe to an ISP?
I would love to know the answer to this! My parents live in the middle of nowhere in a tiny town and have awesome internet speeds. Internet connections and speeds are a constant battle here. Don’t know why.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:23 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
If you look up previous threads on the subject, our former moderator Sage of Sagle used to post about a high-speed cable system he had installed. I can't remember what it was called. Sage used to say it was expensive, but worth the money if you need it for professional reasons.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:33 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
There could be some extreme examples where a particular location might have compromised satellite visibility, but I don't think that's too common. It's probably not uncommon to have to take a tree or three out to get better line of sight to a satellite. The satellites being used today are all located directly above the equator, so even though they are 23,000 miles above the earth, at this latitude the look angle is fairly shallow.

There are a few terrestrial microwave Internet providers in north Idaho (Air Pipe, Intermax to name two). They install towers on top of nearby mountains, and you do need line of sight visibility to a tower to get one of these services, so availability is heavily dependent on local terrain and tree cover. I suspect that might be what you are hearing about.

Sage had a T1 line installed out to his place. The phone company will do this for you if you want, but the speeds aren't that great, and the cost is quite high. A T1 line runs at 1.54 Mbps in both directions. The benefit of a T1 line is it's private, so unlike any of the other access technologies you are not sharing the line with any of your neighbors, at least as far back as the phone companies central office. All other Internet access technologies - cable, DSL, fiber to the home, satellite, terrestrial microwave, 4G cellular - involve sharing a fixed resource among a group of users at some level. We briefly considered getting one run to our house in Sagle so my wife could work from home, and it turned out to be cheaper to rent a small office in town and pay for phone & Internet there. I think it was going to be $4-500 per month, and I think there was a minimum commitment of 3 years. The cost is high because the phone company is actually running a dedicated cable from your house to the phone company's central office.

It is possible that the connections between the phone company's central office, or the cable company, etc. may be limited in this area, but I have not heard that. I know there are major connections to the domestic Internet backbone in Spokane, and I think one of the telcos has one in Post Falls. That would imply that areas around CdA should have good connectivity, but I don't know how we get connectivity in areas further north.

Dave

Old 04-19-2018, 12:22 PM

294 posts, read 544,329 times
Cable speed today - 37 mbps down and 3.15 up. Occasionally it stops completely. Cable experts tell me that is caused from too many people on the same node (whatever that is).

Old 04-19-2018, 06:50 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,784 times
I am usually 4-18 mbps down (sometimes can get 26-30 at off times) with 5-8+ up on my ATT stand alone hotspot with unlimited data. We actually have 4 of them in our house, plus 4 ATT phones. This speed allows online gaming and Netflix streaming with no problems. Yes our bill is pretty expensive but my sons who are in college can take the hotspots wherever they need them and so can we if we go on vacation. There is nothing available on our road except 1.5 mbps Frontier DSL and it is too expensive to pay for that slow speed. Satellite is not as fast and more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho