Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 06:20 PM

152 posts, read 638,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet57 View Post
Not being a sun worshipper, I left Boise after 30 years because it has the opposite "problem" than Pittsburgh. It is too "sunny" and hot in the summer. I lived in Pittsburgh for two years (1995-1997) and loved the weather (including the heavy snowstorms), the neighborhoods (German, Jewish, Slovak, Polish, etc.) that made Pgh. so colorful, and I actually found the people to be more friendly, certainly more tolerant, than in Boise. Pittsburgh also has colorful and interesting attractions. Boise, simply said, looks like a small Phoenix or Denver - no interesting architecture, neighborhoods, charm, warmth, etc. It does provide excellent outdoor opportunities (hunting, fishing, hiking, rafting, mountain climbing) but otherwise, the available and accessible activities are limited. Although Boise has good healthcare, it is nothing compared to UPMC and the Boise Philharmonic, although good for its size, pales in comparison to the PSO. Pittsburgh was also strategically close to almost everywhere in the East - certainly within a day's drive to Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Upstate NY, the Adirondacks, etc. Remember that Boise is over 400 miles from its closest metro neighbors (Portland, Salt Lake), so it is pretty isolated. Air connections are less than what you are used to in Pgh. as well.

If you're willing to make such a drastic change culturally, climatically and scenically, then by all means, choose Idaho. But don't say that you were forewarned!
I don't disagree with a lot of what you say. Pittsburgh is an excellent cultural city, there are museums, theaters, and history everywhere. The weather is fine with me with the exception of the total lack of sun and excessive rain.

But back to my original points. The taxes here are obscene, the city is dying, the large mass of people here are the elderly, the schools are some of the worst in the entire US, the corruption is out of control, the city is bankrupt (at least they claim that and refuse to do any repair on anything), there are few if any jobs outside of the healthcare or service (retail/restau/hotel), and fundamental rights are being lost all the time.

Sure I can catch a good play or go to the museum but what about the other 364 days a year I have to live here? Or raise children? It is with a heavy heart that I have to look elsewhere but I think Pgh is not a good option at the moment.

So that's why I'm looking at Idaho. Is it for me? Don't know...but I'm thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 08:53 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,261,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveinPA View Post
I don't disagree with a lot of what you say. Pittsburgh is an excellent cultural city, there are museums, theaters, and history everywhere. The weather is fine with me with the exception of the total lack of sun and excessive rain.

But back to my original points. The taxes here are obscene, the city is dying, the large mass of people here are the elderly, the schools are some of the worst in the entire US, the corruption is out of control, the city is bankrupt (at least they claim that and refuse to do any repair on anything), there are few if any jobs outside of the healthcare or service (retail/restau/hotel), and fundamental rights are being lost all the time.

Sure I can catch a good play or go to the museum but what about the other 364 days a year I have to live here? Or raise children? It is with a heavy heart that I have to look elsewhere but I think Pgh is not a good option at the moment.

So that's why I'm looking at Idaho. Is it for me? Don't know...but I'm thinking about it.
I think the only way to decide if Idaho is for you, is for you to pick a region and visit. It's certainly slower paced than Pgh is without a doubt. Not so slow that you'll grow cobwebs though

Last edited by cleosmom; 12-14-2006 at 09:26 PM..

Old 01-02-2007, 11:53 AM

6 posts, read 18,472 times
Idaho Falls is kinda boring... I'm in my 20s too, and there really isn't much to do here, except for the random small town events, like "spud fest" (the potato festival) and such. I know you said night life isn't really important, but going from a bunch to practically none is quite a shocker. Another thing you might want to think about is the large LDS influence here. If you are LDS, you'll fit right in i'm sure. If you aren't (like me) then you'll stand out. Another thought: there are TONS of small children here. Practically everyone is pregnant it seems! So, if you're looking to start a family, then you'll fit in.
For Eastern Idaho, Idaho Falls is like the shopping town, so we have lots of chain stores, like Home Depot, Target, Sears, Etc., which is nice. But, they are "small" versions of the same stores, so if you're used to the big city where you can get everything, any time, this will also shock you.
If you love potatoes, move here!!!

-another thought of a great family place, which is bigger, and TONS of sunshine (it's kinda grey in idaho falls in the winter, and super cold) is Colorado Springs, CO. think: family atmosphere, lots of amenities, low crime, friendly people, as much sunshine as seattle has rainy days, and fun things to do.
just a thought?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: