Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:33 PM

39,843 posts, read 26,477,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Given the tourism-based nature of the Panhandle's economy, and it's below-average wages, I find your comment to be appallingly elitist. There are many native-born Idaho people who can't afford the rent in many parts of the state, but especially in Coeur d'Alene and Sandpoint where they have been priced out by transplants who brought their wealth and generous public pensions with them.
I find it just the opposite. "Rent control" is an incredibly elitist concept. The idea that the government has any right, or any business, dictating what a private property owner and a consenting tenant agree to for rent is an appalling concept. It is an abrogation of individual rights and distorts the free market, usually having the opposite of the desired effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 07:09 PM

7 posts, read 8,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I find it just the opposite. "Rent control" is an incredibly elitist concept. The idea that the government has any right, or any business, dictating what a private property owner and a consenting tenant agree to for rent is an appalling concept. It is an abrogation of individual rights and distorts the free market, usually having the opposite of the desired effect.

So does jacking the rent beyond affordable levels.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:06 PM

661 posts, read 832,116 times
Default Rent Control

Rent controls also tend to stop investments and building in new projects making things even more expensive. It might work in a large city already built out to the max, in Idaho rents controls are just not logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

Old 06-16-2018, 10:03 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,202,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper304 View Post
So does jacking the rent beyond affordable levels.
The only thing that makes things cheaper is competition. Anything else is a gimmick

Old 06-17-2018, 11:13 AM

236 posts, read 195,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Before moving to Idaho there were quite a few things we didn't know. We took it for granted that certain things would work the same way here as in any other state. Don't get me wrong. We in no way regret moving here. It is beautiful and life is less stressful. But there are things that could have imagined consequences to you and your circumstances if you don't know ahead of time.

Not true!

So, before moving here, things you want to consider...

EMPLOYMENT - Idaho's Non-Compete Law - Generally a law like this in the employment world is only applied to top & key employees in a company, but now many employees, no matter what level, are being expected to sign one of these contracts. So, if you come here and your experience is working for say, A/C & Heating, or in plumbing, if you lose your job you could very well find yourself unable to find work in the same field without being sued or forced to go back to the company you left. These contracts can be found in all types of work... elder care, medical, construction, accounting, tech, etc...

HOME RENTAL - No Rent Control - Idaho does not have rent control, and sadly, many landlords and property managers take full advantage of this, quite often throwing all kinds of extra fees, fines and abnormal rules into their contracts. It is also not uncommon that, upon going to collect one's keys, being told that before you can have the keys you need to pay an additional "administration" fee of anywhere from $100 to $250. Many are shocked after their first year has rolled around and its time to sign a new lease, but are told that their rent will be increased by some insane amount. Some of the rules are also ridiculous. I know of one woman who lived in a 2 bedroom duplex with her adult daughter. Good tenants who were never a problem. Another tenant called the property manager and complained that they were smoking, OUTSIDE, on their own porch. The property manager and owner then demanded that the mother and daughter had to pay $500 EACH, and sign a smoking addendum, or they had to completely leave the property to smoke or move out. So, when renting, be very, very careful! Read everything and then ask if there are any hidden fees NOT mentioned in the contract!

If you are thinking of buying investment property and having a local property management company look after things for you, you need to be aware of the fact that 1.) ANYONE can open a property management business without a license, even a criminal, and 2.) They are not required to open a trust account at the bank to hold the funds of clients and keep strict accounting of them. They are allowed to co-mingle your funds with their own. If they take your money and run you are screwed.

If anyone else knows of something to add, please jump in.
Hi~ I think its great we can exchange perspectives & opinions on this forum. Before anybody on this forum flips out on me for sharing, trust me- I have gone toe to toe with Canyon County several times because they change their answers when you ask questions about city codes! Doesnt mean I hate Idaho or am saying anything like that. It means that when you are relatively new to a state, it is better to be informed about certain issues so you can accomplish what you need. This is what I appreciate about the forum here - I learn alot about problem solving!
I can relate very much to what you have posted here as I had two very difficult rental experiences before I purchased a home in the treasure valley. The first was when a highly recommended and well known Idaho property management company deliberately leased me a house which was already in foreclosure! Yeah...nice. Secondly I had a realtor lease me a house and all he did was badger me for a yr to buy it. When I declined he tried to kick me out! Had to call the Sheriff and get my tenant rights straight. Then he became more angry because I cited the law and would not be bullied, took the 30 days I needed to move.
The only reason I got my full deposit back is probably because I called the board of realtors to report this man. Later after I moved out I discovered he had been behind on property taxes and that rental house I leased from him was also in foreclosure. Idaho does not regulate many things I have discovered. And they dont like to provide things in writing such as for example....the city codes. They will send you a 10 pg link with complex codes to look up but often drag their feet in giving you direct access to info you are seeking. In the past 6 months I have noticed a slight improvement in the way Nampa is trying to resolve community code violations and disputes so I am encouraged by that. I agree that in renting here, you must take your time and make sure you understand the fine print. Many who come here have to compete to find housing and get desperate and just sign anything. Dont ever do that. And if you can find housing through friends, friends of friends, this can help. The law is not on the tenant's side here. The law is not on the employee's side here. So make sure you learn Idaho law. It is has saved me many times over;-)

Old 06-17-2018, 12:53 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,389,284 times
As a total outsider, stumbling across this thread. (Which is very heated and interesting)
What would you call an affordable rent?
What kind of industries would you like to see?

Old 06-17-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
As a total outsider, stumbling across this thread. (Which is very heated and interesting)
What would you call an affordable rent?

Affordable to whom? Affordable where?

Old 06-17-2018, 07:51 PM

7 posts, read 8,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
The only thing that makes things cheaper is competition. Anything else is a gimmick

Better wages help.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper304 View Post
Better wages help.

For housing? Not really. If that were true, Bay Area and NYC would have the most "affordable" rental, since wages are the highest.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:42 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,389,284 times
People here are saying the rent is high.
So what is an acceptable rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho