Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 03:28 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,
We will be traveling through your state from Washington on our way to Northern Utah in early to mid September. We would enter from either Jordan Valley, OR via the Owyhee Uplands Backcountry Byway or on 78 through Homedale and Marsing. We would exit by Bear Lake into Utah.

What are some scenic, out of the way places to explore? I have the following on our itinerary: Bruneau Canyon Overlook, City Of Rocks and a dip down into Jarbidge via Jarbidge Canyon. It looks like we will be passing through the Sawtooths a few times. Any great campgrounds, ghost towns, rockhounding areas?

We have an F250 4x4 with a pop up truck camper and DW is experienced off road driver unless road becomes off camber on a shelf road, lol.

In 2016, we spent several weeks exploring the northern areas such as Priest Lake, Bonner’s Ferry area, Salmon/Challis, Stanley, etc. Beautiful state you have. We would love to check out the southern part this trip. We should have about 5-7 days available. Thank-you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 09:35 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Hello folks,
We will be traveling through your state from Washington on our way to Northern Utah in early to mid September. We would enter from either Jordan Valley, OR via the Owyhee Uplands Backcountry Byway or on 78 through Homedale and Marsing. We would exit by Bear Lake into Utah.

What are some scenic, out of the way places to explore? I have the following on our itinerary: Bruneau Canyon Overlook, City Of Rocks and a dip down into Jarbidge via Jarbidge Canyon. It looks like we will be passing through the Sawtooths a few times. Any great campgrounds, ghost towns, rockhounding areas?

We have an F250 4x4 with a pop up truck camper and DW is experienced off road driver unless road becomes off camber on a shelf road, lol.

In 2016, we spent several weeks exploring the northern areas such as Priest Lake, Bonner’s Ferry area, Salmon/Challis, Stanley, etc. Beautiful state you have. We would love to check out the southern part this trip. We should have about 5-7 days available. Thank-you.

It seems that you will not be able to avoid Pocatello / Idaho Falls.

However, due to forest fires, where to go in early-mid September -- that would be a game-time decision for me. Heck, I might even be a couple of states away if smoke is bad enough.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:46 AM

169 posts, read 180,004 times
We were in southern Idaho last summer. It's a bit north for you perhaps, but Craters of the Moon national monument was really cool. The drive there and back is out of the way of much of anything else though.

We loved City of Rocks. Didn't even know it existed until we read about it at the Twin Falls Visitor Center. At that same visitor center, though, is where people can base jump off the Perrine Bridge over the Snake River. We didn't know about that either, till we saw the jumpers preparing. Hung around for a while to watch - there was quite a crowd, and it was pretty awesome to watch. Apparently this is the only bridge in the US where it's legal to jump off of 24x7.

If you go through Twin Falls, stop at the visitor center right at the bridge, just off of I-84. The base jumpers are fun to watch, and the view itself is stunning.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:59 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Here is a state park map with links to the parks in the southern area:

https://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/find-a-park-by-map

Check out this site for info:

https://visitsouthidaho.com/adventur...-magic-canyon/

https://visitsouthidaho.com/10-summe...o-bucket-list/

Here's another City of Rocks near Gooding, this one is separate from the other City of Rocks which is further SE.
https://visitsouthidaho.com/goodings...ace-go-hiking/

Are you driving far enough north to be in the Sawtooth's? They are north of Sun Valley.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:33 PM

Thanks for your replies. We visited Craters of the Moon in 2016 and don’t plan to travel that far north this time. We hadn’t planned on traveling as far north as Twin Falls but the links Syringaloid provided had some cool places to explore so we will check out Malad Gorge, Cauldron Linn, the Bridge where people jump and other parts of the multi park Thousand Springs State Park.

We have been to the Sawtooths near Stanley but there are two other separate parts: one south of Twin Falls, the other north of City of Rocks. The othe City Of Rocks sounds intriguing.

We avoid interstates preferring USFS/BLM roads and campgrounds. I plan to check out rockhounding places (we like jaspers and agates) and ghost towns. We are also photographers and enjoy learning about the local history. I did order the Southern Idaho guide plus downloaded the pdf on waterfalls. Thanks for the links.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:25 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
We avoid interstates preferring USFS/BLM roads and campgrounds. I plan to check out rockhounding places (we like jaspers and agates) and ghost towns. We are also photographers and enjoy learning about the local history. I did order the Southern Idaho guide plus downloaded the pdf on waterfalls. Thanks for the links.
This one might be out of your way, but you might want to keep it in your sights https://spenceropalmines.com/you-can-dig-it/

Here's a site with more information https://sciencing.com/rock-hunt-gems-idaho-7694469.html

Old 07-11-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
This one might be out of your way, but you might want to keep it in your sights https://spenceropalmines.com/you-can-dig-it/

Here's a site with more information https://sciencing.com/rock-hunt-gems-idaho-7694469.html
Thanks for the links. Spencer Opal Mines is a bargain compared to the ones in Nevada that want $200+. Maybe another time as we aren’t going that far north. I do have a rockhounding book on Idaho and it shows that there are rockhounding areas south of Bruneau off Idaho 51 highway down gravel roads which is our thing. We have been known to adjust our itinerary due to not making reservations, though so who knows.

Someone we know is considering the purchase of a ranch in western Wyoming so we may just alter our destinations. We have before.

The reason we enjoy Idaho is that it is both scenic and uncrowded. One of our favorite roads was a USFS Road that went from Wallace to the Saint Joe River, Moon Pass I think. It was a former RR bed that had 7 tunnels. We will probably return again next fall to hit our favorite places. I never knew Idaho had cedar forests; we explored a few ancient cedar preserves.

Now, to find some ghost towns.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:04 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Thanks for the links. Spencer Opal Mines is a bargain compared to the ones in Nevada that want $200+. Maybe another time as we aren’t going that far north. I do have a rockhounding book on Idaho and it shows that there are rockhounding areas south of Bruneau off Idaho 51 highway down gravel roads which is our thing. We have been known to adjust our itinerary due to not making reservations, though so who knows.

Someone we know is considering the purchase of a ranch in western Wyoming so we may just alter our destinations. We have before.

The reason we enjoy Idaho is that it is both scenic and uncrowded. One of our favorite roads was a USFS Road that went from Wallace to the Saint Joe River, Moon Pass I think. It was a former RR bed that had 7 tunnels. We will probably return again next fall to hit our favorite places. I never knew Idaho had cedar forests; we explored a few ancient cedar preserves.

Now, to find some ghost towns.
I like your style, no definite plans, no let downs!! I did that on a smaller scale when I drove to Boise a few weeks back to visit family. Only itinerary I had was booking my room in advance, other than that gathered with family when they had time, took my sidearm with me to go shoot paper in my down time

Old 07-12-2018, 02:05 PM

No reservations because we either Boon dock or stay at USFS or BLM campgrounds. You never know what you find along the way that is intriguing. We carry for self defense mainly two legged variety but never felt unsafe in Idaho.

What was your route from Southeast Idaho to Boise? We will avoid 84. And, Boise.

As for ghost towns, we have been to Silver City entering and exiting via Murphy but may start at Jordan Valley this time. Cool town.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:23 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I like your style, no definite plans, no let downs!!
Absolutely. Once I had made some grand plans for Priest Lake and Upper Priest Lake, brought in some scuba gear, all pumped up, reservations, local help, the whole nine-yards. I get there and voila — rangers kick everybody out, due to fires approaching from the West. I go instead try out Hayden Lake, not the same, then over the Bitteroots to Darby, MT (Lake Como), more fires. Down to Redfish, not bad, and ended up on Two Ocean Lake on the Grand Teton NP.

Another thing I learned — I make sure I check calendars of local towns. Some festivals, concerts get huge crowds, relatively speaking. If not, I am prepared to pack up and move. Oh, and don’t forget our good friends of Ride Idaho, although I think this year they will stick around the panhandle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho