Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 02:43 PM

551 posts, read 804,696 times

Advertisements

Going back to NorCal for Turkey Day and Christmas and was thinking of going on highway 97 from I-84 south to Weed where it hits I-5 since that way is probably the closest from NID. Anyone know how that road is in the winter?

When I was moving up here I went by way of Pendleton, Jordan Valley, and Winnemucca to SoCal a lot so I know that route pretty well. The I-84 from Pendleton to Ontario tends to have a high accident rate and there are several areas which ice up frequently. I could go that way and through Reno but is 97 better?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 09:00 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,778,346 times
When I made the trip for several years during winter, from the Antelope Valley, I went up 395 to Bishop, then 6 into Nevada to pick up the 95. 95 to I-80, then 95 again at Winnemucca. Follow the 95 out the top of Nevada, into SE Oregon and into SW Idaho to pick up I-84. I-84 into Oregon again to 395 in Kennewick, then to I90 into NID.

Going over the Blue Mountains between La Grande and Pendleton is dicey in the winter, but I made the trip in snow/ice several times. Just "slow and easy". You can't be in a hurry at that time. Hit some snowstorms one year on 95 in SE Oregon, but there is enough traffic, (semi-truck traffic), that the roads didn't seem to ice up. Just slush.

That's the way I took anyway. So much that I'm really getting tired of the scenery. You can only see it so often, but it is the shortest, most direct route from where I used to live to where I now live.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-07-2018, 09:43 PM

Yup, that's how I used to go from Lancaster to NID most of the time and sometimes the longer way through Vegas and Salt Lake. My mom used to like to stop in Vegas.

The 95 route is shorter but I hated the drive from Walker Lake until Parma. You're right about that section on the I-84. At least Oregon increased the speed limit on the 95 from 55 to 70. It was nuts how it went from 70 to 55 on the same road just because you cross the border from NV to OR.

Around what part of Rathdrum is your house? Do you ever go to Penny's Pit for burgers? O'Malley's isn't bad either. They both have pretty interesting beer.

Winter #5 for me now. Got to switch to winter tires soon and get the chains on the tractor and put the front blade and rear blower on. Boy, those rear chains are heavy and are a pain to install. Sure nice having a tractor though. The weather people have been predicting less snow this season. Hope they're right.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by oldafretired; 11-07-2018 at 10:00 PM..

Old 11-07-2018, 10:57 PM

7,384 posts, read 12,683,684 times
Hey, OldAF, good to see you! I can't weigh in on 97 in winter, we've only traveled it in summer (many times), but I think I'd avoid going over Shasta in winter even if it is I-5. I can imagine problems on 97 on the long rise up to Weed. But if you go by way of Reno, you'll have to cross the Sierras on 80. So no matter how you slice it, you'll be going over a mountain pass, except if you go 95 to I-84 to 93 to 15, which is what I'd do in winter, but then you'll probably end up too far south. I think I'd let the route depend on the weather forecast.

Thanks for the great pics over in the picture thread!

Old 11-08-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Hey, OldAF, good to see you! I can't weigh in on 97 in winter, we've only traveled it in summer (many times), but I think I'd avoid going over Shasta in winter even if it is I-5. I can imagine problems on 97 on the long rise up to Weed. But if you go by way of Reno, you'll have to cross the Sierras on 80. So no matter how you slice it, you'll be going over a mountain pass, except if you go 95 to I-84 to 93 to 15, which is what I'd do in winter, but then you'll probably end up too far south. I think I'd let the route depend on the weather forecast.

Thanks for the great pics over in the picture thread!
Hi, CFF! It's been awhile. Have you made the move to Clark Fork yet? I need to drive though that area to check it out. Maybe next year.

Yeah, no way to avoid mountain driving either way. I guess I'll wait and see how the roads are at trip time. Thanks!

Old 11-08-2018, 12:26 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,278,863 times
I have been stuck in Shasta before, so you could not even get to the 97 at Weed. Also, it snows like crazy with no warning above Klamath like around Chiloquin. Watch for black ice between La Pine and Bend. It gets lonely above Madras and there are at least two steep grades before you get to the 84. The 84 can be slick too as the wind rips along the Columbia.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:41 PM

31 posts, read 42,057 times
I used to live in Bend. 97 is usually not too bad. It's higher up and can definitely get snow and ice, but it's east of the Cascades so precipitation isn't super frequent. Most of it is pretty flat and straight (and the curvier parts north of Madras are lower in elevation). The road will get plowed pretty quickly. But if it's actively snowing while you're driving, it's going to be pretty dicey. 97 is often a better winter route than the I-5 section between Weed and Ashland, actually. Though between Weed and Redding may actually be the section to look out for at times in the winter (I've seen snow there when 97 was dry). I would say to check tripcheck.com (and other state equivalents) before you leave, and if 97 looks bad, take another route if it looks better. They have a lot of traffic cameras (with temperature info) on 97 and other highways across Oregon. Most other states have a lot of cameras too, but Nevada barely has any last time I looked.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I have been stuck in Shasta before, so you could not even get to the 97 at Weed. Also, it snows like crazy with no warning above Klamath like around Chiloquin. Watch for black ice between La Pine and Bend. It gets lonely above Madras and there are at least two steep grades before you get to the 84. The 84 can be slick too as the wind rips along the Columbia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknob60 View Post
I used to live in Bend. 97 is usually not too bad. It's higher up and can definitely get snow and ice, but it's east of the Cascades so precipitation isn't super frequent. Most of it is pretty flat and straight (and the curvier parts north of Madras are lower in elevation). The road will get plowed pretty quickly. But if it's actively snowing while you're driving, it's going to be pretty dicey. 97 is often a better winter route than the I-5 section between Weed and Ashland, actually. Though between Weed and Redding may actually be the section to look out for at times in the winter (I've seen snow there when 97 was dry). I would say to check tripcheck.com (and other state equivalents) before you leave, and if 97 looks bad, take another route if it looks better. They have a lot of traffic cameras (with temperature info) on 97 and other highways across Oregon. Most other states have a lot of cameras too, but Nevada barely has any last time I looked.
Thanks for the good info and advice. Plan to wait until the last minute to decide the route. Hopefully the snow will stay away until after my first trip for Thanksgiving. Supposed to snow a bit though around here tomorrow. Probably will switch to snow tires this weekend. It's amazing how much difference those tires make on ice.

BTW, anyone familiar with highway 395 igoing south from Pendleton, OR to Reno, NV? Is that better than highway 97?

Last edited by oldafretired; 11-08-2018 at 04:56 PM..

Old 11-08-2018, 09:08 PM

7,384 posts, read 12,683,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
Hi, CFF! It's been awhile. Have you made the move to Clark Fork yet? I need to drive though that area to check it out. Maybe next year.

Yeah, no way to avoid mountain driving either way. I guess I'll wait and see how the roads are at trip time. Thanks!

Not yet, but we've got a chimney now, and a working wood stove! Do come on over next summer and check out the area!

Enjoy your trip back to NorCal. Hopefully there won't be any fires. Right now a huge fire is burning out of control in Paradise, by Chico. Our fire season is still going strong....

Old 11-12-2018, 01:19 PM

31 posts, read 42,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
BTW, anyone familiar with highway 395 igoing south from Pendleton, OR to Reno, NV? Is that better than highway 97?

Between Pendleton and Burns it can be pretty mountainous and windy. Not a fast route. Probably not the best winter route. From Burns south to Reno is is wide open and should be fine though (probably drier on average than 97, though maybe a bit colder too). The whole thing is very remote, though. Very little traffic and cell coverage likely to be spotty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: