U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 01:41 PM

1,078 posts, read 985,340 times

Advertisements

Hey Gang,

Just wondering I have looked at the data online but that only gives you so much of the picture.
Does the snow in Idaho Falls stay all winter or does it melt between snowfalls for example.
Wondering about temps and rain/snow fall.
I know they are not that far apart ( by our standards) but topography can make a huge difference.

Thanks for any help

Robo Jester
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 07:01 PM

27,202 posts, read 18,535,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
Hey Gang,

Just wondering I have looked at the data online but that only gives you so much of the picture.
Does the snow in Idaho Falls stay all winter or does it melt between snowfalls for example.
Wondering about temps and rain/snow fall.
I know they are not that far apart ( by our standards) but topography can make a huge difference.

Thanks for any help

Robo Jester
Every winter is its own thing in both cities, but typically there is a melt-off or two every winter. But if there's snow on the ground in one city, it will be on the ground in the other too.

The only difference is how much snow, and that will depend on things like local temps. Since both usually get the same weather systems coming in from the Pacific, Twin will often get a storm before I.F.

Twin is about 650 feet lower in elevation, so it's typically a few degrees warmer there. Depending on the weather, the difference can be pretty great on any given day between them, but one city isn't always colder than the other.

Idaho Falls is, I think, a bit more windy due to it's proximity to the highlands of the great divide. It's very seldom dead calm in I.F. It's also rarely foggy in I.F. too.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:56 PM

8,354 posts, read 6,203,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Every winter is its own thing in both cities, but typically there is a melt-off or two every winter. But if there's snow on the ground in one city, it will be on the ground in the other too.

The only difference is how much snow, and that will depend on things like local temps. Since both usually get the same weather systems coming in from the Pacific, Twin will often get a storm before I.F.

Twin is about 650 feet lower in elevation, so it's typically a few degrees warmer there. Depending on the weather, the difference can be pretty great on any given day between them, but one city isn't always colder than the other.

Idaho Falls is, I think, a bit more windy due to it's proximity to the highlands of the great divide. It's very seldom dead calm in I.F. It's also rarely foggy in I.F. too.
I think banjomike has this pretty much spot on. I will slightly disagree that if there is snow on the ground in one city it is also on the ground in the other. Twin's lower elevation and relative closer location to the Pacific, can create different ground conditions even though the two are only about 160 highway miles apart, even less as the crow flies.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I think banjomike has this pretty much spot on. I will slightly disagree that if there is snow on the ground in one city it is also on the ground in the other. Twin's lower elevation and relative closer location to the Pacific, can create different ground conditions even though the two are only about 160 highway miles apart, even less as the crow flies.
You could well be right.

I haven't gone to Twin every winter, but every winter I've gone to Twin, there was snow on the ground there, just as there was in I.F.

All of southern Idaho has a bunch of micro-climates, and they do affect the snowfall. There must be hundreds of small rain shadows all over, given how many mountain ranges there are here that tend to break up the big weather patterns.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:45 PM

Micro climates...absolutely. When I lived in Pocatello I noticed that there was an area just west out near American Falls that always seemed like it got more thunderstorms in the summer. I even think there was, (is) a sign on I-86 that says “severe storm area”.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:14 AM

3,783 posts, read 3,433,081 times
This?

Old 01-24-2019, 04:36 AM

Yup. That.
Don't be dashin' when the sign is flashin' !

Old 01-24-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
This?
Yes! And thanks to Banjo for the very cool slogan.

What I find interesting is this kind of a highway sign is somewhat rare. Perhaps severe weather is expected in places like Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, etc. so you don't see this type of sign.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:35 AM

131 posts, read 106,170 times
my understanding is idaho falls gets quite a bit more snow?

Old 01-27-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoll88 View Post
my understanding is idaho falls gets quite a bit more snow?
Not necessarily. The snowfall varies quite a lot between cities from year to year. On any given year, 2 cities that are less than 70 miles apart can have vastly different amounts of snow on the ground.

Idaho Falls typically gets about 24" of snow over the winter, but there are always a few melt-offs as well, when the weather warms enough to melt some snow. (the 24" is only my guess for a winter's worth of snow.)

Most often there will be around 3-4" of snow on the ground throughout January. The snowfall is typically drier than it is in the east, with quite a bit of powder snow falling over the winter.

Ever since the turn of the century, the snowfall has been unpredictable. The snow is coming later in the early winter now than it used to when I was growing up here.

Until the 21st century, it was common Halloween night would be around freezing, but with little snow yet. Nowadays, Halloween is a much warmer night.
The first snowfall used to come just after Halloween, and most Thanksgivings were almost all snowy. Not now, though- it will be around freezing or above on Thanksgiving, and it's more common to still see rain, not snow at that time of year.

The first snows that stick often begin in early to mid-December now. There are always a few snowstorms that fall and then melt off before day's end during the Autumn months.

Idaho Falls gets quite a lot of sun during the winters. Sometimes a sunny day will be very cold in the early winter, and then be quite a lot warmer in the later season. It snowed about 3" here early in this week, and today is the second day of this week that is sunny. Both days melted off most of the snow that fell, but there's still about 4" on the ground here right now in the shade.

Driggs, which is about 50 miles east and around 1,000 feet higher, has about 2-3 feet on the ground right now. The difference in elevation makes a lot of difference in the winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho