Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:55 PM

10 posts, read 33,148 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]We are finally in the position to relocate our business out of California. Idaho seems a good fit, it’s close enough to California that our customers wont have a fit. I have never been to Idaho but the pictures I’ve seen are beautiful. We would have to be in the country as we manufacture small Ag equipment. We have only 10 employees willing to move so we would need to hirable work force. We would prefer a town of 4000 or so smaller is OK as long as we can get UPS service daily. More than 6000 is to large as we don’t want to compete for employees. Thanks so much for any information/direction you can give me.[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 10:34 PM

44 posts, read 163,841 times
To me the town you are looking for is Rexburg, Idaho. We have about 25,000 people here. I know you said more than 6000 is too many. Well Rexburg has about 12,000 college students. There are NO WHERE near enough jobs in this town. If a college student is making $8/hr they are loving life. UPS service is available everyday. Airport is only 30 mins away. It's a very agricultural area.

If you need an apartment to rent, there is a web site Rexburg Rental Housing, Apartment Listings, and Office Space Listings that might be of use as well. They also have commercial rentals listed on there. Another site with commercial rentals is Madison Economic Partners Give Clair Boyle a call. His info is on the Grow Your Business link of the Madison Economic page. He will be a big help. If you talk to him, tell him the GIS Guys referred you. Anyway, hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:27 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,261,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi812 View Post
[SIZE=3]We are finally in the position to relocate our business out of California. Idaho seems a good fit, it’s close enough to California that our customers wont have a fit. I have never been to Idaho but the pictures I’ve seen are beautiful. We would have to be in the country as we manufacture small Ag equipment. We have only 10 employees willing to move so we would need to hirable work force. We would prefer a town of 4000 or so smaller is OK as long as we can get UPS service daily. More than 6000 is to large as we don’t want to compete for employees. Thanks so much for any information/direction you can give me.[/SIZE]

It's not hard to find towns that meet your specs, however what climate would you prefer? Ag is across the state with the spud fields, wheat fields, sugar snap peas and so forth. You can pick something like the Snake River Valley in eastern Idaho and have four seasons including cold winters or something a tad warmer like western ID.

South central, near Twin Falls/Kimberly, Rupert & Burley might be more at what you might want geographically, depend of course where your CA base is.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:15 AM

[SIZE=3]We really don’t mind the cold and would prefer snow in the winter. I like the college student idea, the past 20 years the majority of our employees have been women ages 20-30 due to the fact we provide on-sight daycare for our employees. Our mfg building really needs to be located outside of town preferable on 40+ Acers. How much snow do you receive in the Rexburg area? [/SIZE]

Old 04-09-2008, 07:41 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,261,142 times
According to their own website, Rexburg gets about 44.7 inches of snow annually.

Just found out planting season is being pushed back this year as we've had a real winter for the first time in years.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:28 AM

[SIZE=3]Does anyone have any feed back of the Council area?[/SIZE]

Old 04-10-2008, 04:05 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,923,583 times
I live 22 miles from Council. Great and beautiful place. I was thinking Weiser , Pop 5000 something, is more what you are looking for if you want this side of Idaho. We are heavy ag and also Ontario Oregon area. Saying it better Weiser to Ontario Oregon is heavy Ag.Onions hay crops spuds sugar beets peas corn melons beans. There is more I just can not think of them now.
Our valley in Cambridge is ag. I have shown this pic link before. A part of our valley.
http://mail.ctcweb.net/~shadesofidaho/Areal7-8-05-B.jpg (broken link)

You can look on Craig's list for Cambridge real estate, and there is land for your business but I really think our town is too small for your needs. Council might be a little too far from the ag areas you want to sell to and land prices are fairly high because Tamarack just over the hill.

Chris

Old 04-11-2008, 12:15 AM

We don't sell directly to ag producers so we don't really need to be in the middle of it. Our products are shipped nation-wide using UPS. What we need is room for ag related things, like livestock and heavy equipment access.

We have always lived in the country so we are used to having room. California is now telling us when we can have a fire in the fireplace and that I need to buy an electric lawnmower to save the air. Most of the local dairies have been shaken-down by the air board for methane pollution and are moving to Texas.

Small business and ag industry will soon be all gone from CA because they keep coming up with hairbrain regulations to make you crazy. Makes you embarressed to say you are a Californian, can't wait to leave....

Do you think we will have trouble picking up 10 or so employees in the Council / Cambridge area?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:27 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,923,583 times
If I were you I would place an add in both papers in Council and Cambridge. Ask if there would be interest for employment. There are very few good paying jobs in these two areas. People always complain they can not get a good job. Not sure what your wages are. You can Direct Message me and I would be happy to put out a flyer in Cambridge asking and take responses for you.

Maybe try asking on Craig's list.

I KNOW in Midvale, 10 miles closer to Weiser than Cambridge, there is a manufacturing company for Gopher guns. They have a handfull of employees. It is almost right on the highway. I know we have wonderful UPS drivers up here. Walking through deep snow 1/4 mile to get repair parts up to us when our skidsteer was broke down. Not sure how large the items are you are shipping. To go to UPS from Council,Cambridge or Midvale would be quite a distance. They do pick up. I am just not sure on their rules. They might have to establish a pick up spot if you have enough to pick up.

Right off I know of a couple of people that want jobs depending on pay and I was not asking around. I also know of a couple of other people wanting jobs I would not hire for love or money.EEEKKKKK

Do direct massage me and I might be able to tell you more or get a flyer or two up for you.

Chris

Old 04-11-2008, 08:56 AM

349 posts, read 1,039,902 times
Default Salmon is your choice

Maybe you want to consider Salmon, located north of Idaho Falls, population approx. 3300, great small town and we do have some land for sale that is still reasonable, take a look at us, we also have wonderful activities to do being in close proximity to a ahndful of lakes. Best town IMO!!!! Good Luck to you. Our website is salmonidaho.com

Beth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho