U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 04:50 PM

6 posts, read 23,303 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am retiring immediately and plan to take a fact-finding, house-hunting trip along the loop described above. I will be moving from the SF Bay Area.

Ideally, I would find a good house (not necessarily great) with ~5 acres of land in a secluded spot with great access to outdoors activities. I also hope to have a shop for hand-loading and other activities. Am I ingesting some illegal substance if I expect to find that for under $250,000, or is that a real possibility? I plan to spend about a week going along this semi-circle.

Any feedback and suggestions as to where to look would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to avoid the really heavy snow areas and really enjoy time outdoors fishing, hunting, camping, etc.

Thank you all very much for this great website.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 08:41 PM

4,923 posts, read 16,924,135 times
If you're trying to avoid the heavy snow areas then I don't think you'll be at all interested in the Idaho Falls area. Our "average" is 30 inches of snow a year. In fact, you might just want to stick with western Idaho, only not sure if you'll find the acreage you want.... head a tad further out towards maybe Eagle, Weiser and possible Fruitland?

Old 04-14-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
If you're trying to avoid the heavy snow areas then I don't think you'll be at all interested in the Idaho Falls area. Our "average" is 30 inches of snow a year. In fact, you might just want to stick with western Idaho, only not sure if you'll find the acreage you want.... head a tad further out towards maybe Eagle, Weiser and possible Fruitland?
Thank you so much for this info. This is what I am trying to find out. I'm trying to leave the Land of Fruits and Nuts, but I guess you have a different meaning. I am totally flexible as to where I live, if I can just avoid the really heavy snow. However, 30 inches a year does not sound too bad.

Thanks again.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:30 PM

1,001 posts, read 2,939,478 times
There are places in Idaho where you can find land and a home for under 250k, but you have to ask yourself how much weather you're willing to deal with.

Each area has its own identity in terms of the recreational access it has (within 2 hours or so), and each area certainly has an incredible amount of recreational opportunities.

Pocatello and Idaho Falls definitely receive the most snow and colder weather, but probably have a bit more access than TF and Boise. TF tends to be windier, and is really high desert, though right on the Snake River and close to the South Hills and the Sawtooth Mountains. It also receives a fair amount of snow.

Boise will be the most expensive and most difficult to find something in your price range, though not impossible. It will have the mildest winters, but still gets some snow and cold temps. More people in Ada/Canyon County, so not as isolated or removed as you'd like.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
There are places in Idaho where you can find land and a home for under 250k, but you have to ask yourself how much weather you're willing to deal with.

Each area has its own identity in terms of the recreational access it has (within 2 hours or so), and each area certainly has an incredible amount of recreational opportunities.

Pocatello and Idaho Falls definitely receive the most snow and colder weather, but probably have a bit more access than TF and Boise. TF tends to be windier, and is really high desert, though right on the Snake River and close to the South Hills and the Sawtooth Mountains. It also receives a fair amount of snow.

Boise will be the most expensive and most difficult to find something in your price range, though not impossible. It will have the mildest winters, but still gets some snow and cold temps. More people in Ada/Canyon County, so not as isolated or removed as you'd like.
Thank you very much!

Old 04-16-2008, 11:46 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,245,272 times
Question Other Needs or Wants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanderson View Post
Hi All,

I am retiring immediately and plan to take a fact-finding, house-hunting trip along the loop described above. I will be moving from the SF Bay Area.

Ideally, I would find a good house (not necessarily great) with ~5 acres of land in a secluded spot with great access to outdoors activities. I also hope to have a shop for hand-loading and other activities. Am I ingesting some illegal substance if I expect to find that for under $250,000, or is that a real possibility? I plan to spend about a week going along this semi-circle.

Any feedback and suggestions as to where to look would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to avoid the really heavy snow areas and really enjoy time outdoors fishing, hunting, camping, etc.

Thank you all very much for this great website.
thanderson,

It seems you've gotten some good, honest tips. I'm just wondering, given your subsequent posts, if you have additional criteria you would like to have so life is more enjoyable? That may help some of us give you better tips of where to look.

When retiring, for example, many want to ensure the appropriate medical care is available, airport access etc. Those may not be factors for you. Nevertheless, I hope you understand what I'm asking.

I hope this is a great adventure for you.

MSR

Old 09-13-2009, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,297 times
I am relocating to Twin Falls, ID within the next month, I am trying to see if there is a city within a 30 mile radius from Twin Falls that gets snow? I love the snow, and a white Christmas, does anyone know of such a city close to where I am going? I like the mild weather that Twin Falls sounds like it has, but in the winter, I like to feel like its winter. Also, does anyone know about the crime in Twin Falls? Moving from CA, I am always worried about crime, especially after our home was burglarized by 3 idiots. Do I have to worry about that out in Idaho? Any strong gang activity, bad areas? Thank you so much for any info!

Old 09-13-2009, 11:14 PM

4,923 posts, read 16,924,135 times
You will have snow in Twin. You'll have crime as well, most likely nothing to be worried about. Crime sadly is wherever people are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho