Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:37 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMMan View Post
You know they were eliminated back in the old days for a reason. They are one bad animal and will continue to be a thorn in rural inhabitants lives unless they are kept in check. And hunting is the most economically feasible way to do it.
And yet, here I am...in a very rural area with multiple wolf sightings on the state's wolf map (and packs nearby) raising livestock and they've not been a thorn in our sides at all. And I've seen and heard wolves myself from our home.
I have no real problem with controlling the numbers if they become too numerous but this fairy tale notion of the "big bad wolf" being an inherently evil animal is just ridiculous.

Here's a picture of the "decimated" elk herds around here (taken yesterday a mile from my home) Amazing. Nary a torn or bleeding carcass among them.:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
And yet, here I am...in a very rural area with multiple wolf sightings on the state's wolf map (and packs nearby) raising livestock and they've not been a thorn in our sides at all. And I've seen and heard wolves myself from our home.
I have no real problem with controlling the numbers if they become too numerous but this fairy tale notion of the "big bad wolf" being an inherently evil animal is just ridiculous.

Here's a picture of the "decimated" elk herds around here (taken yesterday a mile from my home) Amazing. Nary a torn or bleeding carcass among them.:
Here are some torn and bleeding carcasses for you:

Wolf kill Images and Stock Photos. 30 wolf kill photography and royalty free pictures available to download from over 100 stock photo companies.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:13 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
Here's a picture of a young grizzly on my property several years ago. It was spring and we had lambs on the ground. He just moved on through with no problems at all. Grizzlies have killed far more people than wolves have. Shall we exterminate them too?

Old 01-30-2011, 01:16 PM

148 posts, read 501,306 times
bears and wolves are completely different. you can't make that argument. wolves along with bad winters have decimated elk herds throughout the rockies. they are also starting to take a toll on the moose. the state has done away with moose hunting units north of the kootinie river do to wolves. if you have wolves around your home like you say, what are they eating? if you don't think that they are having an influence on game animals you would be wrong.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:54 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
Can anybody write without pushing an agenda? That picture makes it look like elk are just barely hanging in there. No elk in the entirety of the Colorado front range? C'mon. I'd say that elk are doing fine....in an area about twice as large as that depicted.

I am opposed to introducing wolves almost anywhere by the way.

There are numerous ranges that mirror the one I posted with localized differences from such"biased" sources as the Pueblo Zoo

The government of Manitoba

And the Smithsonian Institute of Natural History

Of course, the whole point wasn't the present range but the historical range when someone actually posted that the elk wasn't native to Idaho.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:18 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Not to nitpick, but the historical range of elk was even larger than shown on those maps. For instance there were elk in the Northeast including Vermont, originally. Elk are a very adaptable animal with a wide range. Definately native to Idaho of course...

Old 01-30-2011, 06:30 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,437 times
Elk are doing marvelous compared to the buffalo which was mercilessly slaughtered to the edge of extinction....thus forcing the Indians unto reservations.

I am surprised that buffalo farming is not encouraged. Buffalo meat is healthier and buffalo are more efficient than cattle. But then we are talking government.....

Old 01-30-2011, 06:45 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times
I'm not sure if this story has been posted yet, wolves killed a cow in the foothills above Eagle which is a Boise suburb. Wolf sightings in the Boise Foothills & Mountains right above the city are becoming more and more common.
Wolves kill cow in Foothills near Eagle | Meridian, Eagle, Kuna, Star | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/01/28/1505627/wolves-kill-cow-in-foothills-near.html - broken link)

Here is a link about 13 sheep which were killed right above Boise last May in a popular area for hikers, mountain bikers, and joggers.

Wolves kill sheep in Boise Foothills | News Updates | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/05/27/1209074/wolves-kill-sheep-in-boise-foothills.html - broken link)

Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 PM

466 posts, read 1,062,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMMan View Post
You know they were eliminated back in the old days for a reason. They are one bad animal and will continue to be a thorn in rural inhabitants lives unless they are kept in check. And hunting is the most economically feasible way to do it.
Yeah, because people are stupid and greedy. All creatures on this earth, even the most vicious once, are there to keep everything in balance. But everything that goes in the way of the human race should be wiped out, right?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 PM

291 posts, read 669,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
Yeah, because people are stupid and greedy. All creatures on this earth, even the most vicious once, are there to keep everything in balance. But everything that goes in the way of the human race should be wiped out, right?
Don't want to wipe them out, but I sure would like to have some Elk left to hunt, when I do get to Idaho. My relatives in Wyoming are screaming about how few Elk and Elk tags they have now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho