Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:52 PM

207 posts, read 809,186 times

Advertisements

Any opinions as to which one would be better live than the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 06:29 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
There is no "better" in any absolute sense! What do you value? How much money do you have? If you have kids, what kind of upbringing and exposure do you wish them to have? Do you like the snow? Four seasons? Nature/environment? What kind of profession do you have? What do you seek from your work? Etcetera.

Two very different places.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:26 PM

Money is not an issue or job needed. No kids, I live in the snow now.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:49 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc57 View Post
Any opinions as to which one would be better live than the other?
Are you a millionare? If not, Sun Valley may be a tough move. Great place though. CDA is great too, but more of a regular city, than the mini-Aspen that is Sun Valley.

Politically Sun Valley is the most liberal area in the state, and not just by Idaho standards. CDA is more Libertarian/Conservative. I could live with either, but that is a huge deal for some people.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:13 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times
If I had to pick between the two, I'd pick CDA. You can live in remote wilderness and still have access to amenities if you need them. Spokane is close by and offers more affordable flights should you want to do any traveling. That's a big bonus in my eyes.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:20 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
Ahhh didn't see that money is no issue, escape the droves moving to CDA and go to Sun Valley.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:49 AM

879 posts, read 2,857,417 times
Hmmm...Sun Valley is more "posh", "Hollywood", etc. I agree with the others there is no real better place depends on your preferences. Sun Valley is more in the mountains and only has a river. Scenery-wise I don't consider Sun Valley the most beautiful resort town but it is certainly nice. I prefer the views in the Cascade/Tamarack area myself and you're only a little more than a hour from Boise. Coeur d'Alene has a beautiful lake while being more of a real town within close proximity to a decent sized city [Spokane]. Boise is a three hour drive (give or take) from Sun Valley and the Hailey/Sun Valley Airport has limited air service and is often subject to closures due to fog/weather with flights often diverted to Twin Falls and sometimes Boise in winter.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:23 PM

Thanks. All great points to consider. No, not a millionaire. It appears though that the rental home market is bleak in the SV/Hailey area and not that bad in CDA. The airport issue is a big deal and yes, there are delays in SV because of that. Weather wise, there may be more sunshine in SV, not sure of that though.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:18 AM

8 posts, read 36,358 times
Default Sun Valley VS. CDA

If you prefer sun, no question, Sun Valley...novel huh? CDA is beautiful with the lakes, wildlife, etc., but the lack of sunshine here can drive folks nuts for months on end. To me, sun is important and you just don't get enough in Northern Idaho unfortunately. Also, median income is very low in CDA, not a ton of well paying employment opps here.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:26 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times
Here's a comparison chart on the weather. Looks like CDA is warmer than Sun Valley. I couldn't find how they compared in regards to average days of sun. I don't know how accurate this chart is as I haven't lived in either place, but thought it was interesting for comparing the two.

Sun Valley is neat to visit, but I'm personally not enamored by it and wouldn't want to live there. It seems overpriced compared to what you can get in other areas that are equally as beautiful if not better. I think it's a great resort town if you want to "get away" for a few days, I just don't buy into the idea of living there. That's just my opinion, doesn't mean it couldn't work for you or others. I'm sure for some it's heaven on earth.

Climatology Comparison for New York, NY (10034) - weather.com

I know it says New York above- not sure why- but it's a comparison chart for CDA and SunValley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho