Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 01:01 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Man can skew things for short periods but nature will always trump.
The post a couple posts up about the wilderness regulations is very interesting. I always wondered whether anybody was living in either the Selway or the River of No Return. I suppose if anyone has successfully maintained their homestead abode they could, I wonder if anyone falls into that category.
It's still a goal of mine to backpack for several days into either the Selway or RONR - I keep getting thwarted for one reason or another every time I make the trip out there.
There are places where a person could probably make a living if he could get in or out of them, but a subsistence living would be a very lonely one, and a really hard way to live during the winters.

Places like this remained unpopulated for good reasons. Lack of access and winter are two of the big ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 03:57 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
When man begins picking and choosing what's good and what's bad in nature, the balance is always tipped. And when tipped, the consequences are always worse than if we had been smart enough to leave things alone.
Quote:
Man can skew things for short periods but nature will always trump.
[off topic]I sure wish the Climate Change folks would understand this. I don't deny the change, I deny that man can have as much affect as they ascribe.[/off topic]

On topic, once upon a time I was going to do the Magruder. But I am afraid that I am just getting too old for that type of camping anymore.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:12 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
[off topic]I sure wish the Climate Change folks would understand this. I don't deny the change, I deny that man can have as much affect as they ascribe.[/off topic]
I agree with you, but the problem is that nature's way to deal with it might be to make it difficult for humankind to survive. The planet will survive but we might not.

Last edited by volosong; 10-10-2019 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: insert missing close quote hypertag

Old 10-14-2019, 09:45 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
I agree with you, but the problem is that nature's way to deal with it might be to make it difficult for humankind to survive. The planet will survive but we might not.

Well, banning plastic straws is not going to save us. That reminds me very much of training the school kids to hide under their desk in the event of a nuclear attack.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 10-14-2019 at 10:02 AM..

Old 10-15-2019, 07:21 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Well, banning plastic straws is not going to save us. That reminds me very much of training the school kids to hide under their desk in the event of a nuclear attack.
Seems the main thing that would save us is stopping carbon-dioxide and methane emissions into the atmosphere.
Four things really set it home for me that humans have caused the climate problems and that these problems are at a point of no return:

* timeline of CO2 concentration in the atmosphere
* satellite imagery of melting ice caps and altered jet stream
* satellite imagery of methane emissions over North America
* changing migratory patterns of birds and insects

Old 10-30-2019, 10:14 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
And just where do you expect the rest of the Californians to go? They can't come to AZ, we're full. Probably outta cut all those trees down anyway and use them for Walmarts, before they catch fire.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:44 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
Quote:
Thank goodness for the Selway-Bitterroot and the River of no Return wildernesses. I have been fascinated with and pulled to the vast mountains of central Idaho ever since I first enountered them a decade ago. I have been back to them three or four times since then, for camping, backpacking, and fishing, the most recent of which was just a couple weeks ago where I ended up backpacking Big Creek and Loon lake areas in the Payette.

It's amazing how expansive those mountains are. They seem to go on forever. To get to Big Creek, we had to drive 60 miles on dirt mountain roads through canyons, along rivers, along switchbacks and over peaks. The mountain ranges spread unbroken from the Canadian border in the north to Boise in the south - 350 miles of continuous mountains! Their east-west width is 150 miles as the crow flies. 150 miles from west-to-east of continuous mountains. I recall the first time I took Highway 12 from Montana west through Lolo Pass. As you arrive at the pass there is a highway sign saying "Curving mountain road next 90 miles."

Their vastness and their wildness is what I like. A vast ocean of mountains that has been left mostly untouched since the 1920s. As a result, the experience of being in those mountains seems to be exactly how it must have been 100+ years ago. The darkest nighttime skies I've ever seen due to the largest area in the U.S. without power lines. Lightning-strike wildfires left to their own devices to burn themselves out. And, an abundance of wildlife on a scale I haven't seen anywhere else. It truly feels like being in the West as it existed prior to civilization.

I'm glad we have such a place and I'm glad it remains to this day infrequently visited (we encountered zero people on the 13 mile trail to Loon lake). We didn't even make it into the designated Wilderness on this trip. We stayed entirely within the National Forest. The Wildnernesses are even more untouched, less visited and more wild.

I plan to return again. Ideally every summer.
they are great. And I miss them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho