Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2019, 03:04 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,773,356 times

Advertisements

Driving on forest roads between McCall and Yellow Pine and Big Creek a couple weeks ago, we came across lots of new housing (log cabins) along rivers with For Sale signs for land and housing. The whole area looks fantastic in the summer, but what's it like in the winter? I imagine everything is covered in loads of snow and it's virtually impossible to get to these houses.....?
What do people typically do - are they there year-round or are these places mostly used as summer cottages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 02:16 PM

I guess local Idahoans don't wanna answer. I can't blame them.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:58 PM

7,377 posts, read 12,657,494 times
Come on, you know this is a small forum, and we probably don't have any members right now who live in the area. Heck, some of us don't even live in Idaho permanently (like me). It's only been 2 days since you posted your question. Just give it some time, and another member will drive through McCall on a nice fall day and remember what you were asking, and come up with an answer, and post it.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:29 PM

29,210 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Driving on forest roads between McCall and Yellow Pine and Big Creek a couple weeks ago, we came across lots of new housing (log cabins) along rivers with For Sale signs for land and housing. The whole area looks fantastic in the summer, but what's it like in the winter? I imagine everything is covered in loads of snow and it's virtually impossible to get to these houses.....?
What do people typically do - are they there year-round or are these places mostly used as summer cottages?
I've never lived in McCall, but I know some folks who do. I live in SE Idaho, where we get snow too. It's hard to live anywhere in Idaho that doesn't get snow. This is a high, cold state that always gets snow.

Your guess is right about the winters. There is lots and lots of snow. McCall holds a winter snow sculpture carnival every winter. Their snow is probably a bit wetter than in some other areas due to the lake.

Whether or not those cabins you saw get snowed in is probably something that the owners who live in them year round have made accommodations for of some kind.
They may vary; in similar snow country, snow machines, ATVs, sno-cats and other vehicles are used, and in some places the roads are plowed by contract snow plow companies. Still other ways such as skis and snow shoes are also used.

It just depends on the person, how remote they may be, what their closest or best access is, and where most of their destinations are.

When you live in snow country, you learn how to live with snow. It's not much harder to get around inside the McCall city limits during the winter than it is in any other Idaho town, most likely, and the main highways get plowed regularly, just as they do all over the state.

But even driving just a car, a person will still need to learn how to drive in snow, and the car will need some specialized tires to keep from getting stuck all the time.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:18 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,032 times
The OP's guess of vacation homes is probably right. Look up the census population of Yellow Pine ID.... 32. With average snows of 2'+ in Dec and Jan and average overnight lows of 9F in Dec & Jan, that is a similar pattern of winter weather as other snowy places in that region.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:43 AM

That's cool, thanks for the replies. I figured local Idahoans don't want hoardes of people moving in to buy up mountain homes. I wouldn't blame them.

I don't have any plans to do so. Just curious.

Also I was more curious about the remote Yellow Pine and surroundings than McCall. Only dirt roads out there in Yellow Pine.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:06 PM

138 posts, read 266,046 times
here's a log about yellow pine which may give you an idea on roads in that area in winter. It sounds like access to yellow pine is posible, but beyond that... not sure.

https://yellowpinetimes.wordpress.co...s-jan-22-2020/

https://yellowpinetimes.wordpress.co...ow-pine-times/

I have not been out there yet, as I'm a new resident to the New Meadows/McCall area. however, most side/dirt roads in the region that are normally plowed are snow covered most of the winter. Sometimes plows don't get to these remote areas very quickly (for various reasons). so, if living on this area, you have to be pretty hearty and prepared/expect for the worst, and just go with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: