Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 05:43 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times

Advertisements

Here's an amusing article from the Post-Register, Idaho Falls' newspaper.

Not everyone who visits Yellowstone falls in love with it, apparently, but one reviewer liked the place, even though there wasn't any cell phone reception. And no Starbucks. That was a real prob for some of the visitors.

https://www.postregister.com/news/lo...2e7a7b30b.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 10:09 AM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
Oh man! Yellowstone sounds like such a disappointment. Why would I ever want to go there?

Seriously though . . . looking at the crowds on that boardwalk in that Post Register picture makes me want to stay away. Now that school has started and most of the tourist have gone home, maybe now is the best time to visit.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-04-2019, 02:11 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Yes, early September is a good time to visit for reduced crowds.

List of closing dates, if these things matter:

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Old 09-04-2019, 02:45 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
It's crowded and traffic is often simply parked on the road. One grizzly bear on a hillside and everyone stops to look and traffic backs up for miles. You can't be in a hurry.

Those are people problems, nothing to do with the park which is spectacular.

The last time I was there, Old Faithful was off schedule so we had to sit around and wait until it finally went off. However, I know for a fact that you can get a cup of coffee.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:07 PM

Dang! No cell phone, and the rocks aren't even yellow! (except in the canyon.)

I necwe go to Yellowstone in the summer season any more. Too many people. But Crow's right- in September, it's great! The trees turn color early in the park because it's so high and cold there.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:08 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Yellowstone is a great park but there can be periods where there is little wildlife to be found. But the general park is consistent with the geysers and hot springs. Well worth the trip even if you don’t see wildlife. It is not guaranteed.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:59 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,472,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's crowded and traffic is often simply parked on the road. One grizzly bear on a hillside and everyone stops to look and traffic backs up for miles. You can't be in a hurry.
Reminds me of a trip there where a bunch of folks were stopped looking at a 'bear' up in the woods. We zoomed in it with our zoom lens.... a rock. We just nudged each other, giggled quietly, and moved on...

Old 09-05-2019, 09:32 AM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Yes, early September is a good time to visit for reduced crowds.

List of closing dates, if these things matter:

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hours.htm
Some of my most memorable visits to the park were in that short Springtime window where the roads are clear of snow, but the park isn't open to vehicular traffic. It is the transition season when the park is getting ready for summer crowds. They do let bicycles enter the park. The only roads they close to bicycles are where bears are involved in mating rituals.

Is there an Autumn "shoulder" season where cars are prohibited, but bicycles can continue entering the park?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-05-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Some of my most memorable visits to the park were in that short Springtime window where the roads are clear of snow, but the park isn't open to vehicular traffic. It is the transition season when the park is getting ready for summer crowds. They do let bicycles enter the park. The only roads they close to bicycles are where bears are involved in mating rituals.

Is there an Autumn "shoulder" season where cars are prohibited, but bicycles can continue entering the park?
I'll bet there is, at least in part of the park. The road from the north entrance to Gardiner, which lies just above the northwest entrance, is the only access Gardiner has to the outside world in the winters, so it's plowed and cleared all year.

I'm sure that would allow bicycles too, at least through the Hayden valley part of the park, the Mammoth Springs area, and probably down as far as the W. Yellowstone entrance or Old Faithful.

There's winter traffic in all of these areas, and while automobiles may not be permitted, bicycles sure could be. They only close the roads down to prepare for the seasonal changes in traffic.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:09 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...-bicycling.htm

https://rootsrated.com/stories/bikin...rides-for-fall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho