Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 06:16 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The ancient sprinkler system in my yard self-drains after the water is shut off. I don't know how it's done, but I suspect it's a simple valve that opens once the water pressure is gone.

Maybe newer ones have the same feature?
That can only happen with gravity assist. Water will not flow up hill, so that is completely dependent on the topography and layout of the system.

For some time now, Idaho has required anti- backflow devices that prevent water in the sprinkler lines from flowing back into the water supply and potentially contaminating the water supply. Here in Bonner county it's one of the rare things that require an inspection by the state when a sprinkler system is installed. These devices will prevent water from moving from the sprinkler line side of the device to the side where the water supply valve is located.

I suppose it's possible the OP has a system that will drain on its own, but if it were that simple it's hard to believe they would pay someone to come perform such a simple task.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 02:15 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
That can only happen with gravity assist. Water will not flow up hill, so that is completely dependent on the topography and layout of the system.

For some time now, Idaho has required anti- backflow devices that prevent water in the sprinkler lines from flowing back into the water supply and potentially contaminating the water supply. Here in Bonner county it's one of the rare things that require an inspection by the state when a sprinkler system is installed. These devices will prevent water from moving from the sprinkler line side of the device to the side where the water supply valve is located.

I suppose it's possible the OP has a system that will drain on its own, but if it were that simple it's hard to believe they would pay someone to come perform such a simple task.

Dave
Yup. I know next to nothing about how mine works except that it does have an anti-backflow valve. My back hard also as a pretty steep slope, so the system has plenty of gravity to drain it.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:39 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The ancient sprinkler system in my yard self-drains after the water is shut off. I don't know how it's done, but I suspect it's a simple valve that opens once the water pressure is gone.

Maybe newer ones have the same feature?
Or you have a slow leak !

Old 10-14-2019, 10:53 AM

424 posts, read 580,635 times
Quote:

Dave
It will take a least a 10cfm air compressor to do the job, how many people have a 10cfm compressor. Now you can usually rent a 10cfm air compressor at your local rental agency (around here about $22 for 2 hours and $37 for 4 hours). It cost me $35 for a company to blow out my lines and I have a little over 1 acre of land that is covered by sprinklers. Thanks, but I'll let them do it.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:07 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
It will take a least a 10cfm air compressor to do the job, how many people have a 10cfm compressor. Now you can usually rent a 10cfm air compressor at your local rental agency (around here about $22 for 2 hours and $37 for 4 hours). It cost me $35 for a company to blow out my lines and I have a little over 1 acre of land that is covered by sprinklers. Thanks, but I'll let them do it.
How does your post address the OP's question?

As it happens, I have a 10 CFM compressor. Not that uncommon IMO. I blow out my sprinkler system myself.

I don't think I could get someone to drive out to my place for $35, let alone do any work. We're talking rural north Idaho for both the OP and myself, not somewhere in the city.

Dave

Old 10-14-2019, 04:37 PM

424 posts, read 580,635 times
Quote:
How does your post address the OP's question?

As it happens, I have a 10 CFM compressor. Not that uncommon IMO. I blow out my sprinkler system myself.

I don't think I could get someone to drive out to my place for $35, let alone do any work. We're talking rural north Idaho for both the OP and myself, not somewhere in the city.

Dave
What makes you think I live in the "city"( which I don't), and what makes you think a 10CFM compressor is not "uncommon" among most residents? More power to you for taking care of your own sprinkler system, but I suspect the majority of people do not know how to perform the task safely (IMO)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho